Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Arduino breadboards

has anyone any experience of Arduino solderless breadboards? What crimp
connectors are insertable?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 23 March 2017 10:45:42 UTC, Capitol wrote:
has anyone any experience of Arduino solderless breadboards? What crimp
connectors are insertable?

I was under the impression all breadboard were solderless.
and not sure what you mean by what crimp connectors are insertable ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/17 10:45, Capitol wrote:
has anyone any experience of Arduino solderless breadboards? What
crimp connectors are insertable?

FAKE Solderless Breadboards - Julian Ilett
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VerbEZtACwQ

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 23 March 2017 13:11:44 UTC, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 23/03/17 10:45, Capitol wrote:
has anyone any experience of Arduino solderless breadboards? What
crimp connectors are insertable?

FAKE Solderless Breadboards - Julian Ilett
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VerbEZtACwQ

--
Adrian C

ebay... the next video was bigclive again bad boards via ebay.

Our standard breadboards we buy :-
https://www.rapidonline.com/k-h-ad-1...points-34-0662

we find the 4mm terminal posts are useful as it stops (well in theory) students using croc clips to connect to leads going to scopes, sig. gens and PSUs shorting out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 23 March 2017 10:45:42 UTC, Capitol wrote:
has anyone any experience of Arduino solderless breadboards? What crimp
connectors are insertable?

I was under the impression all breadboard were solderless.
and not sure what you mean by what crimp connectors are insertable ?

You can buy crimped leads to insert into the breadboard holes, I want
to buy the crimpable plugs. The pin size is 0,5?mm I guess. Amazon sells
lots of leads for these breadboards.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 23 March 2017 14:03:08 UTC, Capitol wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 23 March 2017 10:45:42 UTC, Capitol wrote:
has anyone any experience of Arduino solderless breadboards? What crimp
connectors are insertable?

I was under the impression all breadboard were solderless.
and not sure what you mean by what crimp connectors are insertable ?

You can buy crimped leads to insert into the breadboard holes, I want
to buy the crimpable plugs. The pin size is 0,5?mm I guess. Amazon sells
lots of leads for these breadboards.

We buy the leads ready made.

https://www.rapidonline.com/rapid-jw...-of-75-34-0673

https://www.coolcomponents.co.uk/en/...e-to-male.html

there's M-F and F-F

ribbons are good for LCDs and processors as you can keep all the lines together.

Some ribbon cables are more bendable than others.
the ones from CC above were best but £4 each

so we went to amazon sometimes you can get them for £1.10

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

lots of suppliers for these, when we looked into buying the crimps and crimp tools it was just too expensive the crimp tool was £200, you can get cheaper ones but we needed something solid and relaible if we're handing it out to 20-50 students we'd also need at least 5, so we didn't bother.
We can count the leads as disposable too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol wrote:
has anyone any experience of Arduino solderless breadboards? What
crimp connectors are insertable?

Most of them are easily overstretched ie wont grip a fine wire after a
maximum size wire has been inserted. The ones I have will take up to a
standard wirewrap pin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
Capitol wrote:
has anyone any experience of Arduino solderless breadboards? What
crimp connectors are insertable?

Most of them are easily overstretched ie wont grip a fine wire after a
maximum size wire has been inserted. The ones I have will take up to a
standard wirewrap pin.

I'm looking for crimpable, wire wrap needs special wire, I've 0.5mm csa
copper.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Capitol wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:
Capitol wrote:
has anyone any experience of Arduino solderless breadboards? What
crimp connectors are insertable?

Most of them are easily overstretched ie wont grip a fine wire after a
maximum size wire has been inserted. The ones I have will take up to a
standard wirewrap pin.

I'm looking for crimpable, wire wrap needs special wire, I've 0.5mm
csa copper.

I used wire wrap pins as a widely known example of the size that the
bread boards will accept (and be damaged by)

To terminate stranded wire. I use 7/0.2 stripped, twisted and tinned
with the minimum of solder to stiffen. That fits breadboards well.

For thicker wire 16/0.2 which is 0.5mm2 I would solder an offcut of
resistor lead on the end.

But why use 0.5mm2 that has far higher current rating than the
breadboard or indeed any part of the Arduino can withstand?

Once a design has been developed I build it onto proper prototype
shields which are soldered and rugged. They cost £1.20 from chinese ebay
sellers and include a piece of solderless prototype board for the next
project.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1724143606...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
Capitol wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:
Capitol wrote:
[...]

0,5mm2 is the wire used for the A/V network.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 05:24:25 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave
wrote:

On Thursday, 23 March 2017 10:45:42 UTC, Capitol wrote:
has anyone any experience of Arduino solderless breadboards? What crimp
connectors are insertable?

I was under the impression all breadboard were solderless.

In that case, the definition of a breadboard has changed in the last
twenty years.
It was about that long ago when I bought this, It ha been used for
many projects It is currently a System A video/audio modulator.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/g3zvt/88F10V

Any technique that connects components together in a rough and ready
way is (or maybe was) called breadboarding, including using an actual
breadboard.

I do use those plastic solderless breadboards for digital stuff like
Atmel microcontroller chips, but you couldn't build something like my
modulator on one.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 23 March 2017 21:35:04 UTC, Bob Minchin wrote:
Capitol wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:
Capitol wrote:
has anyone any experience of Arduino solderless breadboards? What
crimp connectors are insertable?
Most of them are easily overstretched ie wont grip a fine wire after a
maximum size wire has been inserted. The ones I have will take up to a
standard wirewrap pin.

I'm looking for crimpable, wire wrap needs special wire, I've 0.5mm
csa copper.

I used wire wrap pins as a widely known example of the size that the
bread boards will accept (and be damaged by)

To terminate stranded wire. I use 7/0.2 stripped, twisted and tinned
with the minimum of solder to stiffen. That fits breadboards well.

We use that but I recommened only using this method for leads that need to be flexable. For prototype wiring we use 1/0.6 so single core insulated wire for breadboards.
If we want to crimp either these 1/0.6 or the 7/0.2 we use these
https://www.rapidonline.com/molex-08...of-100-22-0836
Note that these crimps are 4p each.

the tool. £25
https://www.rapidonline.com/rvfm-ht-...ht225d-85-0262

The crimps get inserted into these molex connectors
https://www.rapidonline.com/molex-2-...nnectors-66414

which get put onto
https://www.rapidonline.com/truconne...-headers-63793

which can be soldered to stripboard or used in protoboards.

So you can see why DIYing our own leads is far more expensive than buying in ready made.

For thicker wire 16/0.2 which is 0.5mm2 I would solder an offcut of
resistor lead on the end.

The is the thickest wire we use difficult to crimp with the above but is possble to do with care. But I don't reccomend using this for protoboards.

But why use 0.5mm2 that has far higher current rating than the
breadboard or indeed any part of the Arduino can withstand?

Because sometimes you need higher power to drive stepper motors/ servos and the like, and breadboards can go up to 3 amps. Stripboard can go up to 6 amps according to the specs.

Once a design has been developed I build it onto proper prototype
shields which are soldered and rugged. They cost £1.20 from chinese ebay
sellers and include a piece of solderless prototype board for the next
project.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1724143606...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Thursday, 23 March 2017 10:45:42 UTC, Capitol wrote:
has anyone any experience of Arduino solderless breadboards? What crimp
connectors are insertable?

I was under the impression all breadboard were solderless.

In that case, the definition of a breadboard has changed in the last
twenty years.

Well it has when talking about electronics (although we also use the4 term protoboard), but if you search for breadboard on the argos site you'd get what you want, but you don't cause I just tried you get wallpaper.

It was about that long ago when I bought this, It ha been used for
many projects It is currently a System A video/audio modulator.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/g3zvt/88F10V

Any technique that connects components together in a rough and ready
way is (or maybe was) called breadboarding, including using an actual
breadboard.

When I first did this and tried a breadboard I tried to push drawing pins into a breadboard Wasntl; bread boards made from hardwood) it was very difficult so we used fibre board at school. Then tag board came along the 0.15" veroboard.
Then we had S-Decs which were solderless.

I do use those plastic solderless breadboards for digital stuff like
Atmel microcontroller chips, but you couldn't build something like my
modulator on one.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/g3zvt/88F10V

Any technique that connects components together in a rough and ready
way is (or maybe was) called breadboarding, including using an actual
breadboard.

We try to use the term protoboarding now, which is another way of saying build the circuit for testing & design purposes ONLY. It would not be seen as a final product.

I do use those plastic solderless breadboards for digital stuff like
Atmel microcontroller chips, but you couldn't build something like my
modulator on one.

Why not ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/g3zvt/88F10V

Any technique that connects components together in a rough and ready
way is (or maybe was) called breadboarding, including using an actual
breadboard.

We try to use the term protoboarding now, which is another way of saying build the circuit for testing & design purposes ONLY. It would not be seen as a final product.

I do use those plastic solderless breadboards for digital stuff like
Atmel microcontroller chips, but you couldn't build something like my
modulator on one.

Why not ?

How do you stop these prototypes hooting with no ground plane and
long leads - or is that no problem with logic circuits?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Mar 2017 01:45:52 +0000, Graham. wrote:

Any technique that connects components together in a rough and ready
way is (or maybe was) called breadboarding, including using an actual
breadboard.

I saw actual breadboards in use at Marconi when I interviewed there
once. Taking the term too literally?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mechanic" wrote in message
On Fri, 24 Mar 2017 01:45:52 +0000, Graham. wrote:

Any technique that connects components together in a rough and ready
way is (or maybe was) called breadboarding, including using an actual
breadboard.

I saw actual breadboards in use at Marconi when I interviewed there
once. Taking the term too literally?

Not if you were applying for a job in the canteen, no.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/g3zvt/88F10V

Any technique that connects components together in a rough and ready
way is (or maybe was) called breadboarding, including using an actual
breadboard.

We try to use the term protoboarding now, which is another way of saying build the circuit for testing & design purposes ONLY. It would not be seen as a final product.

I do use those plastic solderless breadboards for digital stuff like
Atmel microcontroller chips, but you couldn't build something like my
modulator on one.

Why not ?

How do you stop these prototypes hooting with no ground plane

It didnl't look like there was much of a ground plane on the circuit shown.

and
long leads - or is that no problem with logic circuits?

Long lead can be a bigger problem that;s when you use decoupling capacitors and sometime sother circiity on those lines.