Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Arduino

I just bought a starter kit to play with after just being introduced to
them. I wish I has seen these earlier, I can think of a bazillion
things to do. But, I'll just flash a LED for now. Too bad the book is
in a 3pt font!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 14 May 2015 23:01:00 -0400, Tom Gardner
wrote:

I just bought a starter kit to play with after just being introduced to
them. I wish I has seen these earlier, I can think of a bazillion
things to do. But, I'll just flash a LED for now.

Wow, EXCITING! One whole LED? Be still, my heart.

Too bad the book is in a 3pt font!

You're dating yourself, sir. g

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I just bought a starter kit to play with after just being introduced to
them. I wish I has seen these earlier, I can think of a bazillion
things to do. But, I'll just flash a LED for now.

Wow, EXCITING! One whole LED? Be still, my heart.

Yeabut - that led is the just the beginning, think of the
possibilities...next, I'll blink TWO LEDs!

Too bad the book is in a 3pt font!

You're dating yourself, sir. g

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni

I came, I squinted, I conquered! See, 4 years of Latin sure pays off!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
I just bought a starter kit to play with after just being introduced
to them. I wish I has seen these earlier, I can think of a bazillion
things to do. But, I'll just flash a LED for now. Too bad the book
is in a 3pt font!

http://www.adafruit.com/
https://www.sparkfun.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I just bought a starter kit to play with after just being
introduced to
them. I wish I has seen these earlier, I can think of a bazillion
things to do. But, I'll just flash a LED for now.

Wow, EXCITING! One whole LED? Be still, my heart.

Yeabut - that led is the just the beginning, think of the
possibilities...next, I'll blink TWO LEDs!

Too bad the book is in a 3pt font!

You're dating yourself, sir. g

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni

I came, I squinted, I conquered! See, 4 years of Latin sure pays
off!

He rearranged them to change the meaning.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

I just bought a starter kit to play with after just being introduced to
them. I wish I has seen these earlier, I can think of a bazillion
things to do. But, I'll just flash a LED for now. Too bad the book is
in a 3pt font!

What, no digital/pdf versions around so you can print your own, larger
type version?

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I just bought a starter kit to play with after just being introduced to
them. I wish I has seen these earlier, I can think of a bazillion
things to do. But, I'll just flash a LED for now.

Wow, EXCITING! One whole LED? Be still, my heart.

Yeabut - that led is the just the beginning, think of the
possibilities...next, I'll blink TWO LEDs!

Won't that boil your blood?

Too bad the book is in a 3pt font!

You're dating yourself, sir. g

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni

I came, I squinted, I conquered! See, 4 years of Latin sure pays off!

No, I fixed it. Now it says: I saw, I conquered, I came.

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I just bought a starter kit to play with after just being introduced to
them. I wish I has seen these earlier, I can think of a bazillion
things to do. But, I'll just flash a LED for now.

Wow, EXCITING! One whole LED? Be still, my heart.

Yeabut - that led is the just the beginning, think of the
possibilities...next, I'll blink TWO LEDs!

Too bad the book is in a 3pt font!

You're dating yourself, sir. g

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni

I came, I squinted, I conquered! See, 4 years of Latin sure pays off!

Squinted? You're turning Japanese, I think you're turning Japanese, I
really think so. Oh, were you making an elderly joke?

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 11:01:23 PM UTC-4, Tom Gardner wrote:
I just bought a starter kit to play with after just being introduced to
them. I wish I has seen these earlier, I can think of a bazillion
things to do. But, I'll just flash a LED for now. Too bad the book is
in a 3pt font!

My arduino came from Radio Shack's close out. I started with Blink, got
a GRBL driver shield from China and found GRBL and EFL software to stream
g-code to the arduino uno.

Just now it's sending 3D g-code from a huge down loaded file to test
the setup. This is way outside anything I know about.

There are some better looking free programs out there but so far the
Engineering For Less free program seems to work OK. I don't have to write arduino code with the EFL CNC software. It comes up on google.

No CNC machine yet, just 3 steppers and a 12 volt power supply twirling little paper tags. Great fun!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
I just bought a starter kit to play with after just being introduced to
them. I wish I has seen these earlier, I can think of a bazillion
things to do. But, I'll just flash a LED for now. Too bad the book is
in a 3pt font!

They're kind of fun once you get past the horrible software written by
confused people they come with.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 15 May 2015 15:03:30 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:
I just bought a starter kit to play with after just being introduced to
them. I wish I has seen these earlier, I can think of a bazillion
things to do. But, I'll just flash a LED for now. Too bad the book is
in a 3pt font!

They're kind of fun once you get past the horrible software written by
confused people they come with.

Mine didn't come with people. Perhaps the Chinese left something out
of the box?

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:
I just bought a starter kit to play with after just being introduced to
them. I wish I has seen these earlier, I can think of a bazillion
things to do. But, I'll just flash a LED for now. Too bad the book is
in a 3pt font!

They're kind of fun once you get past the horrible software written by
confused people they come with.

Mine didn't come with people. Perhaps the Chinese left something out
of the box?

I can fix it.

The IDE for arduino stuff is utter **** with a horrible user interface and
awful default behavior.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

I just bought a starter kit to play with after just being introduced to
them. I wish I has seen these earlier, I can think of a bazillion
things to do. But, I'll just flash a LED for now. Too bad the book is
in a 3pt font!

Actually, the Beagle Bone is a better deal. You get a full Linux system,
with all the networking features available. It also has 2 200 MHz 32-bit
microcontrollers that have about a dozen pins brought out for each, and
shared memory to the Arm CPU. These are great for bit-banging odd
protocols, generating step pulses or some other thing that isn't directly
supported by on-chip peripherals.

I updated a laser photoplotter I built about 16 years ago, using a DMA card
on the ISA bus, on a Windows 95 computer. Not only could the
microcontroller emulate the DMA card, but it could also unpack run-length
encoded data in real time. File sizes of 1000x1000 DPI raster images get
big, so compessing them is really nice.

I've used various versions of the Beagles for network appliance devices
before, and they are great. You can use Glade to develop the user
interfaces graphically.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message ...

I just bought a starter kit to play with after just being introduced to
them. I wish I has seen these earlier, I can think of a bazillion things
to do. But, I'll just flash a LED for now. Too bad the book is in a 3pt
font!

For mine, I bought some terminal boards that plug in the Arduino from Jameco
Electronics. Also I bought a board with a LCD display and some buttons from
Hobbypartz.com. Other boards have more capability in pure processing power,
but the basic Arduino's work with 5V logic and have the chip in a socket, if
you burn it up you can replace for ~$5 with the bootloader in place. The
Arduino works with their langauge but you can also us "C" language, so get
the documentation for GNU C for more capabilities.

I wrote a program that uses timers modeled after Allen Bradley PLC timers.

I also have BeagleBone Black and Raspberry PI, they have processing power
and lots of memory but I don't feel like I control all the code like I do in
an Arduino. Also I can't replace the processor as easily if I make a
mistake in the wiring.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Arduino works with their langauge but you can also us "C" language, so get
the documentation for GNU C for more capabilities.

I wrote a program that uses timers modeled after Allen Bradley PLC timers.

I also have BeagleBone Black and Raspberry PI, they have processing power
and lots of memory but I don't feel like I control all the code like I do in
an Arduino. Also I can't replace the processor as easily if I make a
mistake in the wiring.

RogerN

Roger, I played with PicBasic controllers for a while...

Seemed like a simple entry level control unit. How does these compare
to arduino?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message

Arduino works with their langauge but you can also us "C" language, so get
the documentation for GNU C for more capabilities.

I wrote a program that uses timers modeled after Allen Bradley PLC timers.

I also have BeagleBone Black and Raspberry PI, they have processing power
and lots of memory but I don't feel like I control all the code like I do
in
an Arduino. Also I can't replace the processor as easily if I make a
mistake in the wiring.

RogerN

Roger, I played with PicBasic controllers for a while...

Seemed like a simple entry level control unit. How does these compare
to arduino?

The Arduino has a lot more instruction and variable memory. The Arduino
compiles your program to actually run in the microcontroller and full speed.
The Basic Stamp stores the user program in serial eprom and reads and
executes it from there.

The Arduino uses the free Gnu C Compiler and their language is just C
functions in libraries. You can download the Arduino programming software
for free and look at the samples, I thought it was easy to learn.

There are Arduino compatible boards for less $$ too.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

Arduino works with their langauge but you can also us "C" language, so get
the documentation for GNU C for more capabilities.

I wrote a program that uses timers modeled after Allen Bradley PLC timers.

I also have BeagleBone Black and Raspberry PI, they have processing power
and lots of memory but I don't feel like I control all the code like I do in
an Arduino. Also I can't replace the processor as easily if I make a
mistake in the wiring.

RogerN

Roger, I played with PicBasic controllers for a while...

Seemed like a simple entry level control unit. How does these compare
to arduino?

Karl, there are quite a few levels of Arduino boards. Look at their
website to get a better understanding.

http://arduino.cc/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-05-15, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 5/14/2015 11:21 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

[ ... ]

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni

I came, I squinted, I conquered! See, 4 years of Latin sure pays off!

Not in the order which he has it. And it depends on the
alternate English meaning of "came" to translate the same in Latin. I
*don't* know Latin (except enough to recognize the warping of the
traditional saying). :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 5:35:43 PM UTC-4, Michael Terrell wrote:
Karl Townsend wrote:

Arduino works with their langauge but you can also us "C" language, so get
the documentation for GNU C for more capabilities.

I wrote a program that uses timers modeled after Allen Bradley PLC timers.

I also have BeagleBone Black and Raspberry PI, they have processing power
and lots of memory but I don't feel like I control all the code like I do in
an Arduino. Also I can't replace the processor as easily if I make a
mistake in the wiring.

RogerN

Roger, I played with PicBasic controllers for a while...

Seemed like a simple entry level control unit. How does these compare
to arduino?

Karl, there are quite a few levels of Arduino boards. Look at their
website to get a better understanding.

http://arduino.cc/

And then when you've got your design working, you can build it with just the AVR chip and leave out the other Arduino stuff, if you want to. I've built MANY things that started as Arduino boards for the easy prototyping and ended up as dedicated PC boards.

Welcome aboard, Tom. There may be hope for you yet. And all kidding aside, if you can blink and LED, you can do pretty much anything (assuming you also can read an input). If you can blink an LED in response to an input, you really can do anything.

And Holy crap, I'm on the same page as RogerN on this as well. Working with smaller controllers lets you get MUCH closer to the hardware. there is no operating system in the way. (zowie, could the end-times REALLY be near? ;-)

I don't know if it exists yet, but my interest in Beagle Bone and it's ilk will be higher when there is a real-time deterministic operating system available. No question that some of my designs need more horsepower. Often, I just divide up the tasks and add another AVR. For instance, I'm currently working on a line-scan camera that has four AVRs (all mega 328s). The tasks divide up nicely and I have the tools and the parts, and don't have to learn (or buy) anything new to get the job done. and nobody's going to cry about the $12 worth of extra parts.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

[...]

The BBBlack TI processor includes two 200MHz 32-bit RISC co-processors
that can be used for real-time tasks.

I'm not sure that there is a huge advantage to running an open-source
RTOS (especially one that is not widely used) on the main processor
when most of what it is doing is running communication stacks.

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Amazon link for AoE 3rd Edition: http://tinyurl.com/ntrpwu8

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-05-15, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 5/14/2015 11:21 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

[ ... ]

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni

I came, I squinted, I conquered! See, 4 years of Latin sure pays off!

Not in the order which he has it. And it depends on the
alternate English meaning of "came" to translate the same in Latin. I
*don't* know Latin (except enough to recognize the warping of the
traditional saying). :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

The way it is written is considered to be slang for
I saw her and convinced her to have sex.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 17 May 2015 04:02:59 -0400

On 2015-05-15, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 5/14/2015 11:21 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

[ ... ]

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni

I came, I squinted, I conquered! See, 4 years of Latin sure pays off!

Not in the order which he has it. And it depends on the
alternate English meaning of "came" to translate the same in Latin. I
*don't* know Latin (except enough to recognize the warping of the
traditional saying). :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

The way it is written is considered to be slang for
I saw her and convinced her to have sex.

See:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...C+Vici%2C+Veni.

"I saw, I conquered, I came.

I saw her/him, I had sex with them, I ejaculated.

Person 1: How did it go last night?
Person 2: Vidi, Vici, Veni.
Person 1: Glad you finally got some action..."

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Some people have hacked the USB to serial interfaces:
https://jethomson.wordpress.com/2011/08/18/project-ouroboros-reflashing-a-betemcu-usbasp-programmer/
for a tiny, but useful computer. The programmer he converted, is dirt
cheap on Ebay.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Micocenter regularly sells their Arduino Uno clone for $9.99. This week, it is on sale for $5.99. THAT is dirt cheap.

But then, there's http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ATmega32...em3cebc0 9d60, an uno clone from hongkong for $4.08 or http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ATmega32...em3ce634 d3c9 a pre-programmed mega328 chip for $1.77.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"rangerssuck" wrote in message

On Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 12:49:21 PM UTC-4, Michael Terrell wrote:
Spehro Pefhany wrote:

snip
Some people have hacked the USB to serial interfaces:
https://jethomson.wordpress.com/2011/08/18/project-ouroboros-reflashing-a-betemcu-usbasp-programmer/
for a tiny, but useful computer. The programmer he converted, is dirt
cheap on Ebay.

Micocenter regularly sells their Arduino Uno clone for $9.99. This week, it
is on sale for $5.99. THAT is dirt cheap.

But then, there's
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ATmega32...em3cebc0 9d60,
an uno clone from hongkong for $4.08 or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ATmega32...em3ce634 d3c9
a pre-programmed mega328 chip for $1.77.

I saw some ATmega chips with more memory and 40 pin DIP packages. I wonder
how difficult it would be to make one of those Arduino compatible? I just
thought it would be nice to have the most I/O and memory available with 5V
and DIP packaging.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RogerN wrote:

"rangerssuck" wrote in message

On Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 12:49:21 PM UTC-4, Michael Terrell wrote:
Spehro Pefhany wrote:

snip
[...]

$2.46 each, including shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151649146846
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-05-15, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 5/14/2015 11:21 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

[ ... ]

--
Vidi, Vici, Veni

[ ... ]

Not in the order which he has it. And it depends on the
alternate English meaning of "came" to translate the same in Latin. I
*don't* know Latin (except enough to recognize the warping of the
traditional saying). :-)

[ ... ]

The way it is written is considered to be slang for
I saw her and convinced her to have sex.

See:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...C+Vici%2C+Veni.

"I saw, I conquered, I came.

I saw her/him, I had sex with them, I ejaculated.

Exactly -- with the question of whether "veni" (came) also
translates to the other meaning in English.

Sort of like the "Semper ubi sub ubi" (not sure about the
spelling) for "Always wear underwear", which also depends on some
questionable translations. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:
I just bought a starter kit to play with after just being introduced to
them. I wish I has seen these earlier, I can think of a bazillion
things to do. But, I'll just flash a LED for now. Too bad the book is
in a 3pt font!

They're kind of fun once you get past the horrible software written by
confused people they come with.

Mine didn't come with people. Perhaps the Chinese left something out
of the box?

I can fix it.

The IDE for arduino stuff is utter **** with a horrible user interface and
awful default behavior.

It crashes frequently too. But the bones are good- GCC is the
underlying compiler.

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Amazon link for AoE 3rd Edition: http://tinyurl.com/ntrpwu8
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, May 19, 2015 at 9:10:00 AM UTC-4, Spehro Pefhany wrote:
On Fri, 15 May 2015 17:33:51 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader

The IDE for arduino stuff is utter **** with a horrible user interface and
awful default behavior.

It crashes frequently too. But the bones are good- GCC is the
underlying compiler.

I dunno, I use Arduino 1.6.0 (not the latest) on Windows 7 & 8.1, with notepad++ as the editor, and it just seems to work. Have not yet tried under linux, but I may be moving in that direction soon.

I'm not wild about having files stored all over the place - why are libraries being stored in my Documents directory? But I just plug it in and it goes.

For some other products, I just use the gcc tools directly, but for quick & dirty, and to avoid having to write device drivers from scratch, Arduino does save a bunch of time.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/19/2015 9:55 AM, rangerssuck wrote:

I dunno, I use Arduino 1.6.0 (not the latest) on Windows 7 & 8.1,
with notepad++ as the editor, and it just seems to work. Have not yet
tried under linux, but I may be moving in that direction soon.

I'm not wild about having files stored all over the place - why are
libraries being stored in my Documents directory? But I just plug it
in and it goes.

For some other products, I just use the gcc tools directly, but for
quick & dirty, and to avoid having to write device drivers from
scratch, Arduino does save a bunch of time.

Will you tell me a bit about some of your applications?