Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT, laser printers

Looks like one of my printers is dying, ISTR someone posting a
recommendation recently for something remarkably cheap, but can't spot it.

Duplex, A4, ideally networked (but not essential), mono (I already have
a colour one). Home office so not heavy business use but I sometimes
print 50 page documents so I want to keep the consumables cost down.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
Looks like one of my printers is dying, ISTR someone posting a
recommendation recently for something remarkably cheap, but can't
spot it.
Duplex, A4, ideally networked (but not essential), mono (I already
have a colour one). Home office so not heavy business use but I sometimes
print 50 page documents so I want to keep the consumables cost down.

This one.
Dead easy to set up, print quality is fine.
The carts are not cheap but it is supposed to print 700 pages with the cart
supplied. I will be in a nursing home or a mental institution before I print
700 pages.

https://www.tesco.com/direct/ricoh-s...?source=others

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/17 15:54, newshound wrote:
Looks like one of my printers is dying, ISTR someone posting a
recommendation recently for something remarkably cheap, but can't spot it.

Duplex, A4, ideally networked (but not essential), mono (I already have
a colour one). Home office so not heavy business use but I sometimes
print 50 page documents so I want to keep the consumables cost down.

I just bought one on e-bay for 99p. Samsung ML-1510. Works really well.
If the existing cartridge ever runs out I can buy a non-genuine
replacement for £10.

Another Dave
--
Change nospam to techie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/17 15:54, newshound wrote:
Looks like one of my printers is dying, ISTR someone posting a
recommendation recently for something remarkably cheap, but can't spot it.

Duplex, A4, ideally networked (but not essential), mono (I already have
a colour one). Home office so not heavy business use but I sometimes
print 50 page documents so I want to keep the consumables cost down.

Cheap as chips home office printer, then do multiple compatible carts
until one

Or alternatively ...

Buy a cheap £200 commercial office printer, and get 5k-10k toner in
the box which might last ye a fair old while, and then get compatibles.

I've got a Samsung ML-3710ND A4 Mono Laser Printer still running after 4
years, cost £183 in May 2013 , came with a 5000 page toner which ran out
last year along the free 3-year onsite warramty. A compatible 10,000
page toner cart is now in there - £25 from Ciberdirect via Amazon.

This is the current replacement, comes with 3K toner though
https://www.printerland.co.uk/Samsun...D-P132083.aspx
10K toner compatibles toner carts on Amazon are about £35.

Someone suitably bored might want to spin that into a calculator against
a purchase of a current SOHO Brother and multiple ongoing compatible
lower capacity replacement consumables.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/17 15:54, newshound wrote:
Looks like one of my printers is dying, ISTR someone posting a
recommendation recently for something remarkably cheap, but can't spot it.

Duplex, A4, ideally networked (but not essential), mono (I already have
a colour one). Home office so not heavy business use but I sometimes
print 50 page documents so I want to keep the consumables cost down.

I've just bought a Dell E310dw from Amazon for about 65 quid, works
well, covers what you need, sadly Amazon only showing it for £150 now,
but worth a look if you can find it at a decent price.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 19/03/2017 16:20, Another Dave wrote:
On 19/03/17 15:54, newshound wrote:
Looks like one of my printers is dying, ISTR someone posting a
recommendation recently for something remarkably cheap, but can't spot
it.

Duplex, A4, ideally networked (but not essential), mono (I already have
a colour one). Home office so not heavy business use but I sometimes
print 50 page documents so I want to keep the consumables cost down.

I just bought one on e-bay for 99p. Samsung ML-1510. Works really well.
If the existing cartridge ever runs out I can buy a non-genuine
replacement for £10.

Another Dave

Those are good. I had a couple.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/17 17:56, pamela wrote:

I know that printer and that's a real bargain.

I go shopping in Ashbourne, Derbyshire once a week. Lots of rich people
live in the Peak district. The seller had been "forced" to move from
Windows to Apple and couldn't get it working. I was in no mood to tell
them how.

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to techie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3/19/2017 4:08 PM, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
newshound wrote:
Looks like one of my printers is dying, ISTR someone posting a
recommendation recently for something remarkably cheap, but can't
spot it.
Duplex, A4, ideally networked (but not essential), mono (I already
have a colour one). Home office so not heavy business use but I sometimes
print 50 page documents so I want to keep the consumables cost down.

This one.
Dead easy to set up, print quality is fine.
The carts are not cheap but it is supposed to print 700 pages with the cart
supplied. I will be in a nursing home or a mental institution before I print
700 pages.

https://www.tesco.com/direct/ricoh-s...?source=others

Thanks all for some useful leads. Sadly the tesco one is not duplex
(hardly surprising at that price!) and that is something which I'm never
doing without again!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 19/03/2017 16:08, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

This one.
Dead easy to set up,

That's interesting. I had loads of trouble with my Ricoh. Perhaps they
have improved things.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
On 19/03/2017 16:08, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

This one.
Dead easy to set up,

That's interesting. I had loads of trouble with my Ricoh. Perhaps they
have improved things.

Well, the reviews are quite good and it does come with a two year guarantee.
I bought it because I was ****ed off with print heads clogging up, ink carts
drying up and because I've no need to print in colour.
I know that you are supposed to print a page off once per week, but I always
forgot to do this. When I needed to print a letter the inkjet swines always
let me down. I've got a loft full of the swines.
I've had the printer for 3 weeks and have only printed one test page. It
could be 12 months or longer before I need to use it again. It will do me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Another Dave
escribió:

I just bought one on e-bay for 99p. Samsung ML-1510. Works really well.
If the existing cartridge ever runs out I can buy a non-genuine
replacement for £10.

I got one for Mom. Cracking little printer and dirt cheap to run.

--
(\_/)
(")_(") the one I never tried before." - Mae West
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/17 15:54, newshound wrote:
Looks like one of my printers is dying, ISTR someone posting a
recommendation recently for something remarkably cheap, but can't spot it.

Duplex, A4, ideally networked (but not essential), mono (I already have
a colour one). Home office so not heavy business use but I sometimes
print 50 page documents so I want to keep the consumables cost down.

get a used HP laserjet...

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 19 March 2017 22:47:02 UTC, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 20:52:59 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 19/03/17 15:54, newshound wrote:
Looks like one of my printers is dying, ISTR someone posting a
recommendation recently for something remarkably cheap, but can't spot
it.

Duplex, A4, ideally networked (but not essential), mono (I already have
a colour one). Home office so not heavy business use but I sometimes
print 50 page documents so I want to keep the consumables cost down.

get a used HP laserjet...

+1

+2. Been impressed with Lexmark too, though not with the price of consumables.

But really if you only need to print something on the odd occasion, any functional laser printer would do.

You don't need to replace the cartridge on most occasions, they're easy to refill. Do it outside on lawn or soil though, the black dust is a nuisance otherwise.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-03-19 15:54:05 +0000, newshound said:

Looks like one of my printers is dying, ISTR someone posting a
recommendation recently for something remarkably cheap, but can't spot
it.

Duplex, A4, ideally networked (but not essential), mono (I already have
a colour one). Home office so not heavy business use but I sometimes
print 50 page documents so I want to keep the consumables cost down.

I bought a HP LaserJet 400 M401dw off an eBay seller for about £160. OK
it is a bit pricey but it's an outstanding printer and it's the duplex
and wireless model, and sets up in a few secs with no trouble.

Hardly had any print jams and not any trouble with cheap third party
toner - the HP toner prices are ridiculous.

HP do know what they're doing with lasers - had a few others and all
have been bombproof.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3/20/2017 12:59 AM, wrote:
[...]

This is my third eBay Laserjet, I've had reasonable experiences with all
of them. My second was a big office A3, it worked fine except that it
usually jammed on Duplex A3. I binned it for a new Brother inkjet when I
decided I needed A3 colour.

My first was a 2300, the fuser failed (after a lot of use) so I bought
another as replacement while waiting for the parts. It was easy to fix
and I kept it as a spare, but have now passed that on to one of the kids.

When I first started buying them five or six years ago, they were
obviously good value compared to "new", but my impression is that even
entry level consumer stuff has got much better.

I probably print 5000 sheets a year on this one.

I am still in two minds about new or second hand, hence my questions here!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 20 March 2017 10:44:46 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 20/03/17 10:14, newshound wrote:
On 3/20/2017 12:59 AM, tabbypurr wrote:

I am still in two minds about new or second hand, hence my questions here!

Refurbed are often good.

Ive never had issues with print quality on a n HP that a new toner/drum
set didn't fix, but paper jamming is the occasional bane esp. on Duplex.

Back in the day we found one sort of paper that rarely jammed and we
stocked only that (small business I ran)

I have an old HP laserjet 5 that jams a lot, about every 6th sheet. It seldom gets used, but is a real pain on the odd occasion that it's needed.

NT