Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pressac boxes

I am trying to use some of these for LAN faceplates, using the usual
3.5mm screws for the faceplate. I got as far as being ready to fix the
faceplates but couldn't even get the screws to start. The seller
suggests that this is normal, that the screws are intended to cut their
own thread - am I missing something?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/03/17 19:03, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I am trying to use some of these for LAN faceplates, using the usual
3.5mm screws for the faceplate. I got as far as being ready to fix the
faceplates but couldn't even get the screws to start. The seller
suggests that this is normal, that the screws are intended to cut their
own thread - am I missing something?

sure they are not still BA threads?

anyway an M3.5 tap is always handy

www.toolstation.com/shop/p58127

Lucas Bergkamp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 11 March 2017 19:03:18 UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I am trying to use some of these for LAN faceplates, using the usual
3.5mm screws for the faceplate. I got as far as being ready to fix the
faceplates but couldn't even get the screws to start. The seller
suggests that this is normal, that the screws are intended to cut their
own thread - am I missing something?

If they're intended for use with BT Lineboxes then newer Lineboxes come with self-tapping screws. Older ones came with 3.5M electrical pattern screws and brass inserts to screw into.

Another example of petty cost-saving

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have noticed some screws that seem to be hybrid screws and slef tapping
having a kind of lead in sharp bit on the tip.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
news
On 11/03/17 19:03, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I am trying to use some of these for LAN faceplates, using the usual
3.5mm screws for the faceplate. I got as far as being ready to fix the
faceplates but couldn't even get the screws to start. The seller
suggests that this is normal, that the screws are intended to cut their
own thread - am I missing something?

sure they are not still BA threads?

anyway an M3.5 tap is always handy

www.toolstation.com/shop/p58127

Lucas Bergkamp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff laid this down on his screen :
I have noticed some screws that seem to be hybrid screws and slef tapping
having a kind of lead in sharp bit on the tip.
Brian

The seller of the Pressac boxes has assured me this is normal and that
the faceplates are supplied with self tapping screws - mine were not.
He says he has had some unwanted boxes delivered in error, which have
proper tapped holes and is sending me some of these.

Thinking about it - I fitted a new BT master socket a while back, which
included a built in broadband filter, that used self tappers for the
plate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 11 Mar 2017 19:03:16 GMT, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I am trying to use some of these for LAN faceplates, using the usual
3.5mm screws for the faceplate. I got as far as being ready to fix the
faceplates but couldn't even get the screws to start. The seller
suggests that this is normal, that the screws are intended to cut their
own thread - am I missing something?

"pressac boxes" presumably a make of back box that the faceplate
mounts onto? The box would have to be PVC or metal for a self tapper
to work. The hard, brittle, aldehyde boxes won't self tap and have
brass inserts for 3.5 mm machine screws.

Tried fitting the screws without the faceplate getting in the way?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice formulated the question :
"pressac boxes" presumably a make of back box that the faceplate
mounts onto? The box would have to be PVC or metal for a self tapper
to work. The hard, brittle, aldehyde boxes won't self tap and have
brass inserts for 3.5 mm machine screws.

Tried fitting the screws without the faceplate getting in the way?

They are a soft plastic and yes I tried them without the faceplates -
no I still couldn't get a 3.5mm screw to start. The boxes I installed
before I realised, I just used wood screws to fix the faceplates.

Cheap Storage Boxes | Cheap Moving Boxes | Smart Storage Boxes rozy zenstin Metalworking 0 October 25th 10 02:24 PM
Boxes John Grossbohlin Woodworking Plans and Photos 5 April 3rd 08 08:47 PM
boxes John Grossbohlin Woodworking 3 April 3rd 08 04:24 PM
LITTLE BOXES foggytown Woodworking 4 July 7th 06 10:28 AM
Sat Boxes Seafarer Electronics Repair 2 April 22nd 05 01:45 PM