Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What's likely to be wrong with this car?

On Fri, 03 Mar 2017 22:10:01 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

On 03/03/17 20:14, Joe Bloggs wrote:

And ****ed. Buy a new battery.

You might be right, but is that the only way you're able to express
yourself?

I would say the battery is utterly and wanktacluarly ****ed. More ****ed
than the sum total of the Whores of Babylon.

It's ****ed Up Beyond All Recognition (IBM), it's shagged (Python), it's
buggered (me).

I think the first one originated with the military (fubar). The second,
I'm pretty sure, pre-dates computer languages and the word 'buggered',
which gets exactly the same point across is often the better choice of
epithet in most cases.

Incidently, if you want to use the phrase, "**** Off And Die" in a usenet
posting, there's a well worn acronym for that, FOAD (less typing effort
and there's **** all danger of being misunderstood). :-).

--
Johnny B Good

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/03/2017 00:21, Johnny B Good wrote:
I think the first one originated with the military (fubar). The second,
I'm pretty sure, pre-dates computer languages and the word 'buggered',
which gets exactly the same point across is often the better choice of
epithet in most cases.

Incidently, if you want to use the phrase, "**** Off And Die" in a usenet
posting, there's a well worn acronym for that, FOAD (less typing effort
and there's **** all danger of being misunderstood). :-).

You'll all have heard of the band The Foo Fighters?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foo_fighter

would suggest that the fu spelling may be later.

Andy