Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default finding stuff in gmail

I'm trying to find old gmails, knowing the source name.
All the help files, blogs etc. say: just type the name or text into the search box at the top of the gmail page. However, I don't have a search box on the gmail page at all and, having tried all the pull-down menus, still can't find one.
Where am I going wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 7 March 2017 16:20:39 UTC, therustyone wrote:
I'm trying to find old gmails, knowing the source name.
All the help files, blogs etc. say: just type the name or text into the search box at the top of the gmail page. However, I don't have a search box on the gmail page at all and, having tried all the pull-down menus, still can't find one.
Where am I going wrong?

It should be just below the https://mail.google.com/mail url box.

there's a little triangle in that box that can pull down a menu so you can be more spesific in your search (show search options)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

therustyone wrote:

I don't have a search box on the gmail page

Eh? Great big thing across the top, to the right of google logo, with a
magnifying glass at the end ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 7 March 2017 16:20:39 UTC, therustyone wrote:
However, I don't have a search box on the gmail page at all and,
having tried all the pull-down menus, still can't find one.
Where am I going wrong?

I don't know, but if you use this link

http://mail.google.com/mail/h/

you'll get a basic HMTL version of GMail in case your settings or your browser are being silly buggers.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On

It should be just below the https://mail.google.com/mail url box.

there's a little triangle in that box that can pull down a menu so you can be more spesific in your search (show search options)

Right, got it. I gave up using anything labelled Google long ago, as it usually searches the web, rather than what you're interested in. Wrong in this case!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, March 7, 2017 at 4:53:53 PM UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
therustyone wrote:

I don't have a search box on the gmail page

Eh? Great big thing across the top, to the right of google logo, with a
magnifying glass at the end ...

Yep, found it. I didn't expect anything labelled Google to do anything useful. Why isn't it labelled gmail.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Who knows.
You can use gmail via imap and do a local search, assuming it actually
downloads all the folders of course.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"therustyone" wrote in message
I'm trying to find old gmails, knowing the source name.
All the help files, blogs etc. say: just type the name or text into the
search box at the top of the gmail page. However, I don't have a search
box on the gmail page at all and, having tried all the pull-down menus,
still can't find one.
Where am I going wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 7 March 2017 17:42:28 UTC, therustyone wrote:
Yep, found it. I didn't expect anything labelled Google to do anything
useful. Why isn't it labelled gmail.

On the HTML version I get two buttons: Search Mail, or Search Web.

Owain