Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Engraving wood (mechanised)

I've a vague idea for a small money earner selling engraved wooden posts
(race mementoes).

I did one by hand with small chisels many years ago and a lot of folk have
expressed an interest. Thing is, it wouldn't be practical to turn out many
of them by hand and so I'm looking at other ways of engraving a pattern
into wood.

I would like something that can sharply engrave a pattern with acute angles
to a depth of at least 2, preferable 3mm. Speed isn't an issue. The acute
angles probably rule out any simple rotating tool like a router so I'm
wondering about laser machines. The posts would probably be about 4ft long
so it would need to be a machine that could be applied to the wood rather
than one where the wood needs to be inside the machine.

Has anyone any experience of these and could recommend a machine suitable
for a hobbyist that could cope with small scale production?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3/3/2017 12:43 PM, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

I know it is not answering the question, but I am not clear why acute
angles are so important, particularly if it is for wood which will be
used outdoors. As you say, routers are the usual way to do this sort of
thing. I don't see why you should not go down to a Dremel type tool with
perhaps a 3 mm diameter burr. Something like this could be used with a 3
axis framework like a 3D printer.

Lasers sound expensive and dangerous. I suppose you could also burn the
pattern using one of those "soldering iron" type tools.

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl...aving+burner&*

If you used a chisel-like tip and added a fourth axis to rotate the
tool, you could also achieve your acute angles.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3/3/2017 1:00 PM, newshound wrote:
On 3/3/2017 12:43 PM, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

Bugger me, it turns out there are all sorts of laser ones out there, up
to 10 Watts

http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-...FYQ4Gwod11cHCg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, March 3, 2017 at 12:45:19 PM UTC, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

V Carving, do it by hand with a router and 45 degree cutter or get into the, makes F1 racing look cheap, world of CNC ;-)

Laser burns the wood and leaves a distinct charred appearance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3/3/2017 12:43 PM, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

CO2 is quite common as well, gotchas include won`t reach 40W without better temp control and the controller only understands rasters not vectors.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CO2-LASER-...-/322336499298

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2017 12:43, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

Laser cutters / engravers will do it, but leave a burnt appearance. You
can get quite fine lettering with a Vee bit in a router (CNC or hand
held with template) - part of the trick is to lift the cut for the finer
details.

CNC machines are getting ever more common and cheaper, and unlike a
laser system the workpiece does not need to be fully enclosed in the
machine.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 03/03/2017 12:43, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

I'm beginning to realise that "lasers" and "enclosure" go hand in hand so
probably not a good idea for me. I've been looking on eBay and as you say,
small machines that would probably be adequate for my needs really aren't
that expensive. E.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152258046536

I'm guessing that if I want sharp(ish) corners I'd need to use a small bit
for the fiddly bits and a larger bit to "rough out". Just had a look at a
video of some Vee bits and I must admit they're impressive.

My downfall could be learning to control one of these machines though. Not
particularly computer tech savvy. A machine where one could just load an
image file and then say "do it" would be my preferred level of control.
;-).

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2017 14:35, Tim+ wrote:

I'm beginning to realise that "lasers" and "enclosure" go hand in hand so
probably not a good idea for me. I've been looking on eBay and as you say,
small machines that would probably be adequate for my needs really aren't
that expensive. E.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152258046536

That type will not do what you asked for.
The part needs to be mounted on the bed and it moves it front to back so
it won't work for posts.

You need an open frame one with a carriage that moves in x and y with
the router on.

An openbuilds OX would do it but its probably OTT.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2017 14:35, Tim+ wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
On 03/03/2017 12:43, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

Its not too far off that TBH (although keep in mind I am no expert on
CAM/CNC).

Ideally you want an image/text that has been created as vectors rather
than a bitmap - so CAD, a illustration program, sketchup etc. Then you
need a bit of "in between" CAM software to take those vectors and
produce G code for the CNC device (its here that it works out the cut
order so you don't try machining something you have just cut free, and
things like taking into account the tool width and hence what offset and
to what side of the cut line the tools needs to be).

Needless to say there is a range of SW that will do this from simple
free web based drawing tools that will do everything and spit out G
code, to full blown pro CAD tool chains with prices you really don't
want to ask!

A while back Shapeoko[1] were showing youtube wood workers with free CNC
machines for some publicity. Hence there are lots of setup and demo
videos you can find.

[1] https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ShapeOko_2

Some like Frank Howarth have really gone to town with a massive CNC
table setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNvoFTV5tIE

If you fancy a setup you can take to the work rather than the other way
around. Have a look at the prototype of the Origin from Shaper[2]. Jimmy
DiResta did a demo video - basically a augmented router where you push
it about as directed by the image on its built in screen, and it then
takes care of all the fine movement and Z axis stuff to complete the cut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3ahfDFHo3g

[2] https://shapertools.com/

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

If you already have a sample to work from, how about using a copy mill?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
If you already have a sample to work from, how about using a copy mill?

I've no idea (yet) what a copy mill is but I would want to add personalised
text so the CNC gadgets look interesting.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 3 March 2017 12:45:19 UTC, Tim+ wrote:
I've a vague idea for a small money earner selling engraved wooden posts
(race mementoes).
I would like something that can sharply engrave a pattern with acute angles
to a depth of at least 2, preferable 3mm. Speed isn't an issue.

Do you mean like a pantograph engraver?

http://www.pantograph.co.uk/engraving-machine-txl.htm

aka gravograph

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 03/03/2017 18:58, Tim+ wrote:
GB wrote:
If you already have a sample to work from, how about using a copy mill?

I've no idea (yet) what a copy mill is but I would want to add personalised
text so the CNC gadgets look interesting.

Tim

It's like a copy lathe, only for milling.

I saw one in Florence, 40 years ago. A guy had made a copy of the statue
of David by Michelangelo. He had a copy mill that allowed him to mill 8
copies at a time, just by running a pointer over his main copy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/17 12:43, Tim+ wrote:
[...]

Lasers will leave burns

a 4ft piece of wood will fit in a £10,000+ laser cutter

What you probably want is a CNC mill equipped with a small dremel type
router.

These are D-I-Y able.