Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Papering a hardboard ceiling.

I didn't know that you had to prime hardboard before papering so was very disappointed to find paper hanging down from the ceiling that I had lined the previous day.
So I stripped it and washed it a painted it with acrylic primer and papered it again but the same thing has happened.
Any ideas? Can you hang paper with PVA instead of paste?

Brendan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 2 March 2017 12:47:53 UTC, Rednadnerb wrote:
I didn't know that you had to prime hardboard before papering so was very disappointed to find paper hanging down from the ceiling that I had lined the previous day.
So I stripped it and washed it a painted it with acrylic primer and papered it again but the same thing has happened.
Any ideas? Can you hang paper with PVA instead of paste?

Brendan.

PVA would be worse, it lacks grab. I'd suspect the paste, faulty or too dilute perhaps.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/17 12:47, Rednadnerb wrote:
I didn't know that you had to prime hardboard before papering so was
very disappointed to find paper hanging down from the ceiling that I
had lined the previous day. So I stripped it and washed it a painted
it with acrylic primer and papered it again but the same thing has
happened. Any ideas? Can you hang paper with PVA instead of paste?

Brendan.

You can. but I don't understand why this is happening

Probably because neither the hardboard nor the primed hardboard were
sufficiently porous to absorb the water out of the paste

Try much thicker paste..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The problem is that nothingmuch sticks to hardboard.
I think there used to be some glue that did this kind of thing way back as
we have some pieces of hardboard wedged in to make a curved ceiling at the
eaves simply tapered, and its got paper stuck on it very well.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Rednadnerb" wrote in message
I didn't know that you had to prime hardboard before papering so was very
disappointed to find paper hanging down from the ceiling that I had lined
the previous day.
So I stripped it and washed it a painted it with acrylic primer and
papered it again but the same thing has happened.
Any ideas? Can you hang paper with PVA instead of paste?

Brendan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mmm. It was a watery mix.
Maybe I'll give it a coat of emulsion first then try again with thick paste.
But I'll do it first with a sample piece.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 2 March 2017 12:47:53 UTC, Rednadnerb wrote:
I didn't know that you had to prime hardboard before papering so was very disappointed to find paper hanging down from the ceiling that I had lined the previous day.
So I stripped it and washed it a painted it with acrylic primer and papered it again but the same thing has happened.
Any ideas? Can you hang paper with PVA instead of paste?

Brendan.

It needs a coat of size.
Or PVA to seal the surface.
Keep applying coats until it has a shiny finish.

https://traditionalpainter.com/sizin...efore-papering
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The problem isn't too much suction it is not enough suction. I want the opposite of size or PVA.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The problem is that nothingmuch sticks to hardboard.

There used to be 2 types of hardboard; Normal and Oil-Tempered.
I wonder if the Oil has some effect on adhesion.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 2 March 2017 18:48:42 UTC, Rednadnerb wrote:
The problem isn't too much suction it is not enough suction. I want the opposite of size or PVA.

No, the paste is failing because the water is being sucked out of it.

New plaster has to be sized before wall paper can be pasted to it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 3 March 2017 08:34:58 UTC, harry wrote:
On Thursday, 2 March 2017 18:48:42 UTC, Rednadnerb wrote:
The problem isn't too much suction it is not enough suction. I want the opposite of size or PVA.

No, the paste is failing because the water is being sucked out of it.

New plaster has to be sized before wall paper can be pasted to it.

The water leaving is normal drying process, I'm not seeing how that can be the problem.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 3 March 2017 09:30:05 UTC, wrote:
On Friday, 3 March 2017 08:34:58 UTC, harry wrote:
On Thursday, 2 March 2017 18:48:42 UTC, Rednadnerb wrote:
The problem isn't too much suction it is not enough suction. I want the opposite of size or PVA.

No, the paste is failing because the water is being sucked out of it.

New plaster has to be sized before wall paper can be pasted to it.

The water leaving is normal drying process, I'm not seeing how that can be the problem.

NT

The paste is sucked out of the paper which then falls off.

Read this.
#https://traditionalpainter.com/sizin...efore-papering

Any porous surface needs to be rendered impervious to prevent this.
You can use "size", PVA or keep applying coats of paste (letting dry between) until you get a shiny surface.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 3 March 2017 18:36:46 UTC, harry wrote:
On Friday, 3 March 2017 09:30:05 UTC, tabby wrote:
On Friday, 3 March 2017 08:34:58 UTC, harry wrote:
On Thursday, 2 March 2017 18:48:42 UTC, Rednadnerb wrote:
The problem isn't too much suction it is not enough suction. I want the opposite of size or PVA.

No, the paste is failing because the water is being sucked out of it.

New plaster has to be sized before wall paper can be pasted to it.

The water leaving is normal drying process, I'm not seeing how that can be the problem.

The paste is sucked out of the paper which then falls off.

Read this.
#https://traditionalpainter.com/sizin...efore-papering

Any porous surface needs to be rendered impervious to prevent this.
You can use "size", PVA or keep applying coats of paste (letting dry between) until you get a shiny surface.

An interesting idea, but since I had no trouble papering onto an untreated very absorbent surface last time I doubt it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 4 March 2017 00:29:59 UTC, wrote:
[...]

It's factual information.
If you're too thick to understand it, tough ****.
My father was a painter & decorator BTW.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 4 March 2017 08:40:11 UTC, harry wrote:
On Saturday, 4 March 2017 00:29:59 UTC, tabby wrote:
[...]

My last wallpapering job proves it's not. I see you missed that. Bye.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry

Please don't spoil my thread.

Thank you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Update: I tried it on a small piece of hardboard. First acrylic primer, then emulsion then I papered it with a stiff paste and it stuck, though not convincingly, it peeled off without any threat of tearing but it was good enough.
So I papered the ceiling for the third time and AAAAAARGH! it's all hanging down again.
Soon it's going to be me hanging from that ceiling.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 5 March 2017 19:36:34 UTC, Rednadnerb wrote:
Update: I tried it on a small piece of hardboard. First acrylic primer, then emulsion then I papered it with a stiff paste and it stuck, though not convincingly, it peeled off without any threat of tearing but it was good enough.
So I papered the ceiling for the third time and AAAAAARGH! it's all hanging down again.
Soon it's going to be me hanging from that ceiling.

Just work out a way for that to be the intended effect. Call it Mountaintex or something.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've stuck all of the loose paper up with PVA, no problem, I should have done it long ago.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 9 March 2017 08:39:47 UTC, Rednadnerb wrote:
I've stuck all of the loose paper up with PVA, no problem, I should have done it long ago.

nice one.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No one mentioned clay base glue. Paint the ceiling. Let it tack up a little.. While thats happening paste the back of the paper lightly with the same paste. After resting it will be a little tacky. Two tackies = stays up!

Papering David Lang UK diy 22 August 6th 15 12:21 PM
Tricky Ceiling Papering Question Steve UK diy 2 February 16th 10 01:50 PM
Wall papering [email protected] UK diy 31 May 24th 08 09:36 AM
Papering a Dormer Al Bundy Home Repair 0 May 3rd 07 04:26 AM
Papering a Ceiling Peter Andrews UK diy 12 November 14th 06 03:50 PM