Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default thermocouple

anybody know where I can get a replacement thermocouple for this kind of
chinky cabinet heater ....? I assume all the diferent brands are the
same.....

http://www.housemakers.co.uk/kingavo...FUccGwodUwUEdA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 02 Mar 2017 13:29:19 +0000
Chris Hogg wrote:

Not of any help to you, but I suspect you mean a flame-failure sensor,
although that in itself is probably a thermocouple.

Agreed. It always amazed me that the home appliance industry called
that type of sensor a thermocouple, when industrial companies use the
term correctly, to mean a junction of two dis-similar metals, to
produce an electrical potential. In fact, the flame sensor you refer to
might be a capillary and bulb, so bearing no relationship at all to a
thermocouple, except for the name on the box.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 02 Mar 2017 13:29:19 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

You do know, don't you, that those portable gas heaters fill the house
with water vapour, causing condensation on windows, damp and mould in
other places. They can also give off poisonous carbon monoxide. I
trust you keep the windows ajar to ventilate the place, or have a
dehumidifier, and have a carbon monoxide monitor.

The one mentioned actually advertises it's "Oxygen depletion system"
as a selling point. I assume for those who wish to give one to an
aged relative who is living too long and spending too much of the
potential inheritance on Gin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 2 March 2017 13:50:21 UTC, Peter Parry wrote:
On Thu, 02 Mar 2017 13:29:19 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

You do know, don't you, that those portable gas heaters fill the house
with water vapour, causing condensation on windows, damp and mould in
other places. They can also give off poisonous carbon monoxide. I
trust you keep the windows ajar to ventilate the place, or have a
dehumidifier, and have a carbon monoxide monitor.

The one mentioned actually advertises it's "Oxygen depletion system"
as a selling point. I assume for those who wish to give one to an
aged relative who is living too long and spending too much of the
potential inheritance on Gin.

I bet that sensor system is the first thing to have parts omitted by a corner cutting manufacturer.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 02 Mar 2017 13:29:19 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

You do know, don't you, that those portable gas heaters fill the house
with water vapour, causing condensation on windows, damp and mould in
other places.

ISTR 1 litre of water for every kg of gas. Flat out the normal three
radiant heaters are 4.2 kW, heck of a lot of heat, we only use ours
with one radiant or 1.4 kW at that level a 15 kg bottle of butane
lasts around 150 hours or about 100g/hour, 1/3 of a mug or about the
same as having three people in the house (based on a person losing
about 800g/water day due to perspiration and respiration).

They can also give off poisonous carbon monoxide.

The risk of partial combustion with the burner in free air is fairly
low. It's not quite the same as contained boiler or water heater.

I trust you keep the windows ajar to ventilate the place, or have a
dehumidifier,

Do you open the windows and run the dehumidfier when Auty Doris,
Uncle Barney and Cousin Mary come round?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/17 17:31, Dave Liquorice wrote:

ISTR 1 litre of water for every kg of gas.

1.55 litres for every Kg of butane. A little more (1.64) for propane.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Mar 2017 11:17:48 -0000, "Shifty Jim ....."
wrote:

anybody know where I can get a replacement thermocouple for this kind of
chinky cabinet heater ....? I assume all the diferent brands are the
same.....

http://www.housemakers.co.uk/kingavo...FUccGwodUwUEdA

Not of any help to you, but I suspect you mean a flame-failure sensor,
although that in itself is probably a thermocouple.

You do know, don't you, that those portable gas heaters fill the house
with water vapour, causing condensation on windows, damp and mould in
other places. They can also give off poisonous carbon monoxide. I
trust you keep the windows ajar to ventilate the place, or have a
dehumidifier, and have a carbon monoxide monitor.

don't use it in a house .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
Chris Hogg wrote:

Not of any help to you, but I suspect you mean a flame-failure sensor,
although that in itself is probably a thermocouple.

Agreed. It always amazed me that the home appliance industry called
that type of sensor a thermocouple, when industrial companies use the
term correctly, to mean a junction of two dis-similar metals, to
produce an electrical potential. In fact, the flame sensor you refer to
might be a capillary and bulb, so bearing no relationship at all to a
thermocouple, except for the name on the box.

I don't care what you pedants call it ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
news
On 02/03/17 17:31, Dave Liquorice wrote:

ISTR 1 litre of water for every kg of gas.

1.55 litres for every Kg of butane. A little more (1.64) for propane.

no **** !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for all your useless replies.......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/17 11:17, Shifty Jim ..... wrote:
anybody know where I can get a replacement thermocouple for this kind of
chinky cabinet heater ....? I assume all the diferent brands are the
same.....

That would be a bad assumption!

I don't know, but having googled for "kingavon gas heater spares" I gave
up with the lack of useful hits.

It's probably bin and buy a better known and more serviceable brand next
time

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 3 Mar 2017 09:33:07 -0000
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote:

news
Chris Hogg wrote:

Not of any help to you, but I suspect you mean a flame-failure
sensor, although that in itself is probably a thermocouple.

Agreed. It always amazed me that the home appliance industry called
that type of sensor a thermocouple, when industrial companies use
the term correctly, to mean a junction of two dis-similar metals, to
produce an electrical potential. In fact, the flame sensor you
refer to might be a capillary and bulb, so bearing no relationship
at all to a thermocouple, except for the name on the box.

I don't care what you pedants call it ......

That's the thinking that got that Mars probe wasted when
somebody confused Imperial and Metric units.

-
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Shifty Jim ..... wrote:

anybody know where I can get a replacement thermocouple for this kind of
chinky cabinet heater ....? I assume all the diferent brands are the
same.....

http://www.housemakers.co.uk/kingavo...inet-heater.ht
ml?gclid=CNf_8onYt9ICFUccGwodUwUEdA

They sell "all purpose" replacement ones for gas boilers in plumbers'
merchants and big hardware shops. If they don't fit it is probably
impossible to get one.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Hayter" wrote in message
Shifty Jim ..... wrote:

anybody know where I can get a replacement thermocouple for this kind of
chinky cabinet heater ....? I assume all the diferent brands are the
same.....

http://www.housemakers.co.uk/kingavo...inet-heater.ht
ml?gclid=CNf_8onYt9ICFUccGwodUwUEdA

They sell "all purpose" replacement ones for gas boilers in plumbers'
merchants and big hardware shops. If they don't fit it is probably
impossible to get one.

I have four of them, five if you count the bust one and they are all
different makes and they all look the same .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

Shifty Jim ..... wrote:

anybody know where I can get a replacement thermocouple for this kind of
chinky cabinet heater ....? I assume all the diferent brands are the
same.....

http://www.housemakers.co.uk/kingavo...inet-heater.ht
ml?gclid=CNf_8onYt9ICFUccGwodUwUEdA

They sell "all purpose" replacement ones for gas boilers in plumbers'
merchants and big hardware shops. If they don't fit it is probably
impossible to get one.

I have four of them, five if you count the bust one and they are all
different makes and they all look the same .....

I also have a mains flueless gas fire in the living room with cat ...

thermocouple [email protected] Home Repair 4 December 26th 08 07:02 PM
How do I know if furnace thermocouple is bad? [email protected] Home Repair 16 November 2nd 06 03:28 AM
Thermocouple gone? Dark Angel UK diy 5 September 14th 06 10:57 PM
Is it the thermocouple ? Kevin UK diy 15 November 1st 04 10:14 PM
Thermocouple Christian Electronics Repair 2 August 31st 04 03:18 AM