Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hard Wall Tacker - opinions?

Just seen this little gadget

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/Home-Appl...se-Hanging-Kit

See video also.

Not sure if it is worth the trouble - I mean for mirrors and pictures
I just use a picture hook, no drilling anyway.

What do you reckon?

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/17 13:41, AnthonyL wrote:
Just seen this little gadget

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/Home-Appl...se-Hanging-Kit

See video also.

Not sure if it is worth the trouble - I mean for mirrors and pictures
I just use a picture hook, no drilling anyway.

What do you reckon?

Manufacturer's YouTube vid "Hardwall Takker"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPGcwuTmTXg

They would sell a lot of them if they changed the casing colours to
pink, as that's gonna be where most of them will go.

It's de-skilling a job where someone would normally concentrate on their
actions. Can imagine lots of women and kids let loose in properties
owned by others, and lots of fun until someone eventually strikes a
stupidly placed electrical cable or pipe.

(An integrated mains voltage/metal detector may have been a good idea)

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2017 13:41, AnthonyL wrote:
Just seen this little gadget

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/Home-Appl...se-Hanging-Kit

See video also.

Not sure if it is worth the trouble - I mean for mirrors and pictures
I just use a picture hook, no drilling anyway.

You still have picture rails in your house?

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2017 13:41, AnthonyL wrote:
Just seen this little gadget

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/Home-Appl...se-Hanging-Kit

See video also.

Not sure if it is worth the trouble - I mean for mirrors and pictures
I just use a picture hook, no drilling anyway.

What do you reckon?

I would have thought the hardwall hangers would do the same job faster
and with less fuss - only tool required a hammer. (and if you remove
one, it just leaves three tiny holes)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Hooks/eBo...5ZK1EF8CC70CR9

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2017 14:45, Max Demian wrote:
On 28/02/2017 13:41, AnthonyL wrote:
Just seen this little gadget

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/Home-Appl...se-Hanging-Kit

See video also.

Not sure if it is worth the trouble - I mean for mirrors and pictures
I just use a picture hook, no drilling anyway.

You still have picture rails in your house?

I quite like picture rails, if you have high ceilings it breaks up the
wall a bit, and makes it cheaper to paper!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2017 15:30, John Rumm wrote:
On 28/02/2017 14:45, Max Demian wrote:
On 28/02/2017 13:41, AnthonyL wrote:
Just seen this little gadget

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/Home-Appl...se-Hanging-Kit

See video also.

Not sure if it is worth the trouble - I mean for mirrors and pictures
I just use a picture hook, no drilling anyway.

You still have picture rails in your house?

I quite like picture rails, if you have high ceilings it breaks up the
wall a bit, and makes it cheaper to paper!

So do I, but they're regarded as very old-fashioned. Same with pulley
airers in the kitchen. The sort of thing people remove when 'updating' a
property. Maybe a future Barry Bucknell will want to nail plywood to
modern moulded 'panel' doors. "They're such a dust trap!"

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Max Demian wrote:
On 28/02/2017 15:30, John Rumm wrote:
On 28/02/2017 14:45, Max Demian wrote:
On 28/02/2017 13:41, AnthonyL wrote:
Just seen this little gadget

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/Home-Appl...se-Hanging-Kit

See video also.

Not sure if it is worth the trouble - I mean for mirrors and pictures
I just use a picture hook, no drilling anyway.

You still have picture rails in your house?

I quite like picture rails, if you have high ceilings it breaks up the
wall a bit, and makes it cheaper to paper!

So do I, but they're regarded as very old-fashioned. Same with pulley
airers in the kitchen. The sort of thing people remove when 'updating' a
property. Maybe a future Barry Bucknell will want to nail plywood to
modern moulded 'panel' doors. "They're such a dust trap!"

when we moved into this house in 1977, I removed hardboard nailed over the
1911 panelled doors! We've still got picure rails.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 28 February 2017 13:42:01 UTC, AnthonyL wrote:
Just seen this little gadget

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/Home-Appl...se-Hanging-Kit

See video also.

Not sure if it is worth the trouble - I mean for mirrors and pictures
I just use a picture hook, no drilling anyway.

What do you reckon?

£16.99 less £1's worth of bits just to drill a 3mm 12mm deep hole.. No thanks.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2017 15:30, John Rumm wrote:
On 28/02/2017 13:41, AnthonyL wrote:
Just seen this little gadget

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/Home-Appl...se-Hanging-Kit

See video also.

Not sure if it is worth the trouble - I mean for mirrors and pictures
I just use a picture hook, no drilling anyway.

What do you reckon?

I would have thought the hardwall hangers would do the same job faster
and with less fuss - only tool required a hammer. (and if you remove
one, it just leaves three tiny holes)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Hooks/eBo...5ZK1EF8CC70CR9

I removed a few of these. They did leave a mess, fortunately I was
decorating the room anyway.

--
Michael Chare

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Caspersz wrote:

It's de-skilling a job where someone would normally concentrate on their
actions. Can imagine lots of women and kids let loose in properties
owned by others, and lots of fun until someone eventually strikes a
stupidly placed electrical cable or pipe.

But the video shows how it's "imposssible" to drill into pipes and wires.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2017 19:21, charles wrote:
In article ,
Max Demian wrote:
On 28/02/2017 15:30, John Rumm wrote:

I quite like picture rails, if you have high ceilings it breaks up the
wall a bit, and makes it cheaper to paper!

So do I, but they're regarded as very old-fashioned. Same with pulley
airers in the kitchen. The sort of thing people remove when 'updating' a
property. Maybe a future Barry Bucknell will want to nail plywood to
modern moulded 'panel' doors. "They're such a dust trap!"

when we moved into this house in 1977, I removed hardboard nailed over the
1911 panelled doors! We've still got picure rails.

Are they 'real' panelling, of bevel edged wood, or plywood?

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/02/2017 21:58, Michael Chare wrote:
On 28/02/2017 15:30, John Rumm wrote:
On 28/02/2017 13:41, AnthonyL wrote:
Just seen this little gadget

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/Home-Appl...se-Hanging-Kit

See video also.

Not sure if it is worth the trouble - I mean for mirrors and pictures
I just use a picture hook, no drilling anyway.

What do you reckon?

I would have thought the hardwall hangers would do the same job faster
and with less fuss - only tool required a hammer. (and if you remove
one, it just leaves three tiny holes)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Hooks/eBo...5ZK1EF8CC70CR9

I removed a few of these. They did leave a mess, fortunately I was
decorating the room anyway.

The trick is to just tap them on the side a few times gently with a
hammer. You can usually get them out cleanly then.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Demian wrote:
On 28/02/2017 15:30, John Rumm wrote:

I quite like picture rails, if you have high ceilings it breaks up
the wall a bit, and makes it cheaper to paper!

So do I, but they're regarded as very old-fashioned. Same with pulley
airers in the kitchen. The sort of thing people remove when 'updating'
a property. Maybe a future Barry Bucknell will want to nail plywood to
modern moulded 'panel' doors. "They're such a dust trap!"

when we moved into this house in 1977, I removed hardboard nailed over
the 1911 panelled doors! We've still got picure rails.

Are they 'real' panelling, of bevel edged wood, or plywood?

I've never dissected one to find out, but I suspect, judjing by the
thickness, that it's probably plywood, with a moulging round the eges

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 1 Mar 2017 01:06:36 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

I removed a few of these. They did leave a mess, fortunately I was
decorating the room anyway.

The trick is to just tap them on the side a few times gently with a
hammer. You can usually get them out cleanly then.

The pins tend to corrode into place a bit, so a straight pull brings plaster
as well. I must try the sideways tapping as another metod - I've always
twisted the pin then pulled whilst twisting, but it's not 100%.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/03/2017 08:08, charles wrote:
Demian wrote:
On 28/02/2017 15:30, John Rumm wrote:

I quite like picture rails, if you have high ceilings it breaks up
the wall a bit, and makes it cheaper to paper!

So do I, but they're regarded as very old-fashioned. Same with pulley
airers in the kitchen. The sort of thing people remove when 'updating'
a property. Maybe a future Barry Bucknell will want to nail plywood to
modern moulded 'panel' doors. "They're such a dust trap!"

when we moved into this house in 1977, I removed hardboard nailed over
the 1911 panelled doors! We've still got picure rails.

Are they 'real' panelling, of bevel edged wood, or plywood?

I've never dissected one to find out, but I suspect, judjing by the
thickness, that it's probably plywood, with a moulging round the eges

I wonder why they continued with the panelling method after plywood
became available? Conservatism I suppose.

--
Max Demian

Interior wall opinions R D S[_2_] UK diy 16 October 12th 14 09:28 PM
Hammer Tacker asalcedo UK diy 4 July 7th 06 09:27 PM
opinions on painting pine wall grodenhiATgmailDOTcom Home Repair 9 June 3rd 06 01:23 AM
Cavity wall Insulation - opinions ??? mark harrison UK diy 2 January 4th 06 10:07 AM
Aldi Wall Chaser - opinions? Nobody UK diy 9 June 18th 05 08:33 AM