Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default IKEA Disappointment (Rant)

On 18/02/2017 22:19, TheChief wrote:
Ok so the good news is that we have finally found a table for the
kitchen after deciding we wanted one about 2 years
ago.

As we live in Hull with no IKEA, our first exposure was visiting
the Edinburgh store last weekend with our daughter.
There we saw just what we wanted, so headed off to the Leeds store
this morning.

Maybe nobody cares any more, but I could not believe the attitude
of the staff in there. It seemed to start at disinterested and
progress to borderline surly by the time we reached the loading
area.
We interacted with four members of staff in our short visit and
didn't receive an ounce of actual customer service from any of
them. Makes you wonder if this aspect of their job is ever
checked or considered at any point.

Phil

If your family survived the ordeal intact, you're pretty lucky!
See
http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2017/02...re-scienceofus

--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/02/2017 22:19, TheChief wrote:
Ok so the good news is that we have finally found a table for the
kitchen after deciding we wanted one about 2 years
ago.

As we live in Hull with no IKEA, our first exposure was visiting
the Edinburgh store last weekend with our daughter.
There we saw just what we wanted, so headed off to the Leeds store
this morning.

Maybe nobody cares any more, but I could not believe the attitude
of the staff in there. It seemed to start at disinterested and
progress to borderline surly by the time we reached the loading
area.
We interacted with four members of staff in our short visit and
didn't receive an ounce of actual customer service from any of
them. Makes you wonder if this aspect of their job is ever
checked or considered at any point.

Would you on minimum wage?

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Max Demian Wrote in message:
[...]

If I thought it would provide even the remotest chance of moving
off minimum wage then I would like to think so.
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 22:19:02 +0000 (GMT+00:00), TheChief
wrote:

Ok so the good news is that we have finally found a table for the
kitchen after deciding we wanted one about 2 years
ago.

As we live in Hull with no IKEA, our first exposure was visiting
the Edinburgh store last weekend with our daughter.
There we saw just what we wanted, so headed off to the Leeds store
this morning.

Maybe nobody cares any more, but I could not believe the attitude
of the staff in there. It seemed to start at disinterested and
progress to borderline surly by the time we reached the loading
area.
We interacted with four members of staff in our short visit and
didn't receive an ounce of actual customer service from any of
them. Makes you wonder if this aspect of their job is ever
checked or considered at any point.

Phil

Only been once, got exactly what we went for, but decided it was such
an awful experience we would never repeat it.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills Wrote in message:
[...]

One of the most frustrating parts was trying to find the checkout.
I'm sure we did three laps of the store following the arrows
referred to in your linked article.
Taking young kids in must be a total nightmare.

The feel of the store was nowhere near the Edinburgh version.
mainly I think due to the narrower aisles and less clear
signage.
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-02-18 23:18, TheChief wrote:
Roger Mills Wrote in message:
On 18/02/2017 22:19, TheChief wrote:
Ok so the good news is that we have finally found a table for the
kitchen after deciding we wanted one about 2 years
ago.

As we live in Hull with no IKEA, our first exposure was visiting
the Edinburgh store last weekend with our daughter.
There we saw just what we wanted, so headed off to the Leeds store
this morning.

Maybe nobody cares any more, but I could not believe the attitude
of the staff in there. It seemed to start at disinterested and
progress to borderline surly by the time we reached the loading
area.

I'd count myself lucky if I only got to borderline surly visiting as
a customer. It must be much worse if you have to work there all
day.

We interacted with four members of staff in our short visit and
didn't receive an ounce of actual customer service from any of
them. Makes you wonder if this aspect of their job is ever
checked or considered at any point.

For a laugh, I tried an online Ikea culture quiz once. It told me I
wasn't sufficiently ruthless to be a good fit for Ikea. Apparently
they want employees who regard customers as walking wallets who need
to be emptied.

There's a current example of the quiz here -
http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/rooms_ideas/fitquiz09/
- though that one is more cautiously worded than the one I tried.

One of the most frustrating parts was trying to find the checkout.
I'm sure we did three laps of the store following the arrows
referred to in your linked article.

They all appear to be designed by M.C. Escher. Forcing you to walk
round the entire store in the hope that you'll buy more than you
came for is part of the ruthless attitude to relieving you of your
money that Ikea seems to be looking for in its employees. At the
Bristol store even getting in and out of the car park is as hard
as navigating the actual shop.

--
Graham Nye
news(a)thenyes.org.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 23:57:50 +0000, Graham. wrote:

Only been once, got exactly what we went for, but decided it was such an
awful experience we would never repeat it.

SWMBO has been (once); I escaped.

We nearly went together back in 1999. I wanted to investigate Costco
(across the other side of the car park) and we went there first. We ended
up staying, joining, and shopping (and had pizza instead of meatballs or
whatever). Then we went home.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham Nye wrote:

They all appear to be designed by M.C. Escher. Forcing you to walk
round the entire store in the hope that you'll buy more than you came
for

There are generally "hidden" shortcuts, try looking behind you after
turning corners ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I have never entered an IKEA store in my life, and I hope I never do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/02/2017 22:51, Max Demian wrote:
[...]

That is the problem. They know they are unlikely to get sacked and, even
if they do, can get benefits.

If they want brain surgeon salaries, they should have worked to gain the
qualifications. Being lazy isn't an excuse to be rude.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/02/2017 22:47, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

If their relationship risks failure over a shopping trip, even to Ikea,
they really should still be living with their parents and teddy bears.

are depriving those in real need!

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 19 February 2017 00:20:05 UTC, Graham Nye wrote:
On 2017-02-18 23:18, TheChief wrote:
[...]

Dunno how that complies with fire regulations
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I went in once.
To see if it was all true.
It was.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 18/02/2017 22:19, TheChief wrote:
We interacted with four members of staff in our short visit and
didn't receive an ounce of actual customer service from any of
them. Makes you wonder if this aspect of their job is ever
checked or considered at any point.

I wonder if my ex wife still works there?

--

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheChief Wrote in message:
[...]

Thanks to all
Some illuminating comments there.

Being somewhat averse to "shopping trips" in general, it is
reassuring that others have endured similar experiences at these
places.

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
Was it not this crowd who put in a one way system at selected stores and
stopped customers heading back around the wrong way to collect goods they
realised they wanted, instead having to walk to the end and come back in
again?
If that is the ethos generally I hardly expect service to be the byword.
Brian

Their Croydon store has lots of shortcuts.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 18 February 2017 22:51:49 UTC, Max Demian wrote:
[...]

Damn right I would. Acting like losers ensures people stay losers.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
TheChief wrote:
Would you on minimum wage?

If I thought it would provide even the remotest chance of moving
off minimum wage then I would like to think so.

The bottom line is all that matters with that sort of place. They would
normally just replace anyone not good enough with another on minimum wage.
So it sounds like the management of that particular branch don't care much
either.

I had a bad experience with IKEA (not really down to the staff) and
haven't used them since. But then there's not much that they sell that I
want now anyway. Could be different if I was setting up a house for the
first time.

--
*Strip mining prevents forest fires.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Graham. wrote:
Only been once, got exactly what we went for, but decided it was such
an awful experience we would never repeat it.

Yes. It's the sort of place you either love or hate. I hate the idea of
not being able to go straight to what I want then straight to the checkout
having found it.

--
*Forget the Joneses, I keep us up with the Simpsons.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
Would you on minimum wage?

That is the problem. They know they are unlikely to get sacked and, even
if they do, can get benefits.

Right. So things will be so much better when we get rid of all immigrants
and jobs will be chasing people?

If they want brain surgeon salaries, they should have worked to gain the
qualifications. Being lazy isn't an excuse to be rude.

Yawn. A poorly motivated workforce is always down to poor management.

--
*If you don't like the news, go out and make some.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, February 18, 2017 at 10:19:04 PM UTC, TheChief wrote:
Ok so the good news is that we have finally found a table for the
kitchen after deciding we wanted one about 2 years
ago.

As we live in Hull with no IKEA, our first exposure was visiting
the Edinburgh store last weekend with our daughter.
There we saw just what we wanted, so headed off to the Leeds store
this morning.

YOU ARE LUCKY!

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/ikea1.wma

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/ikea2.wma
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2/18/2017 7:54 PM, Andy Burns wrote:
Graham Nye wrote:

They all appear to be designed by M.C. Escher. Forcing you to walk
round the entire store in the hope that you'll buy more than you came
for

There are generally "hidden" shortcuts, try looking behind you after
turning corners ...

Those 'hidden' shortcuts are generally shown on the map they provide.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Graham. wrote:
Only been once, got exactly what we went for, but decided it was such
an awful experience we would never repeat it.

Yes. It's the sort of place you either love or hate. I hate the idea of
not being able to go straight to what I want then straight to the checkout
having found it.

I go probably once a year. Head down with a plan, and get what I've
basketised online. Free coffee going in and out, and a meal if the
queues and enormous families aren't too bad.

Last time I went, a mate had a pretty nasty panic attack. We were in the
middle of the maze and he asked the way out. No easy answer. I dread to
think what would happen in a fire.

I'd swear some people think of it as recreation.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-02-18, TheChief wrote:

[34 lines snipped]

One of the most frustrating parts was trying to find the checkout.
I'm sure we did three laps of the store following the arrows
referred to in your linked article.

We chose what we wanted and went in the *exit*, into the warehouse
section, picked up what we wanted and left.

Yes, that can work.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2017-02-19, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
Would you on minimum wage?

That is the problem. They know they are unlikely to get sacked and,
even if they do, can get benefits.

Right. So things will be so much better when we get rid of all
immigrants and jobs will be chasing people?

If they want brain surgeon salaries, they should have worked to gain
the qualifications. Being lazy isn't an excuse to be rude.

Yawn. A poorly motivated workforce is always down to poor management.

Always? Union fighting stupid political battles don't also reduce
motivation?

You think IKEA unionised?

BTW, love to have an example of a union fighting a 'political battle'
Unless you consider them fighting to protect jobs and conditions political.

Of course many think their job is to just lie down and accept any **** a
government decides to shovel on them - in 'the interests of the country'.
But that wasn't what I paid a union subscription for.

--
*It is wrong to ever split an infinitive *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RJH wrote:
In article ,
Graham. wrote:
Only been once, got exactly what we went for, but decided it was such
an awful experience we would never repeat it.

Yes. It's the sort of place you either love or hate. I hate the idea of
not being able to go straight to what I want then straight to the checkout
having found it.

I go probably once a year. Head down with a plan, and get what I've
basketised online. Free coffee going in and out, and a meal if the
queues and enormous families aren't too bad.

Last time I went, a mate had a pretty nasty panic attack. We were in the
middle of the maze and he asked the way out. No easy answer. I dread to
think what would happen in a fire.

I'd swear some people think of it as recreation.

The recreation - when I was last there - seemed to consist of people
returning things they'd bought earlier - just because they'd changed their
mind. With a queue to do this a mile long. And all I wanted was faulty
goods replaced. Which involved the same queue. Took something like two
hours to get to the head of the queue.

--
*Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

what on earth is a "kitchen cart"?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

[...]

Indeed. The type of person who asks, "Would you on minimum wage?" is the
sort who has no self respect.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:

[...]

depends on what you need

I have an awkward dog-leg in my hallway which precludes getting a sofa into
the house horizontally.

the only way to get it around the bends is to stand it on one end

But three-seat sofas are too tall to fit through the doorways like that (and
I had got fed up with being uncomfortable trying to lounge on a two-seater).

Of all the shops that I looked in for a new sofa, only Ikea's came in parts
with the arms separate so that it would fit through the door and round the
corridor that way. The fact that it was 600 pounds cheaper was not a factor
in my decision!

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

In article ,
On 2017-02-19, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:
Would you on minimum wage?

That is the problem. They know they are unlikely to get sacked and,
even if they do, can get benefits.

Right. So things will be so much better when we get rid of all
immigrants and jobs will be chasing people?

If they want brain surgeon salaries, they should have worked to gain
the qualifications. Being lazy isn't an excuse to be rude.

Yawn. A poorly motivated workforce is always down to poor management.

Always? Union fighting stupid political battles don't also reduce
motivation?

You think IKEA unionised?

BTW, love to have an example of a union fighting a 'political battle'
Unless you consider them fighting to protect jobs and conditions political.

They can fight for whatever they believe in.

The stupid ****s will probably organise a brass band to march through
the local town with a "let's **** for virginity" song.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
BTW, love to have an example of a union fighting a 'political battle'

Don't be a sap Dave. What d'ye think the Southern business is all
about, other than a attempt to bring down the government.

Of course. Govia have such an appalling record of running the service,
they'll do any mischief they can as they know they'll not get renewed.
And, of course, aren't actually losing money by cancelling trains.

BTW, I don't actually know what that dispute is about. Both sides keep any
facts to themselves.

--
*CAN AN ATHEIST GET INSURANCE AGAINST ACTS OF GOD?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 19/02/2017 14:12, pamela wrote:
On 09:24 19 Feb 2017, TheChief wrote:

TheChief Wrote in message:

[...]

Not only is shopping at IKEA thoroughly unpleasant but many of the
goods it sells are in non-standard sizes.

But Phil wanted a table.

Do tables have standard sizes?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 13:52:45 -0000, "tim..."
wrote:

If your family survived the ordeal intact, you're pretty lucky!
See
http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2017/02...re-scienceofus

what on earth is a "kitchen cart"?

tim

Posh trolley with wine racks,drawers ,chopping board on top etc.

were you expecting something to go with a clothes horse?

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 00:20:01 +0000, Graham Nye
wrote:
snip

They all appear to be designed by M.C. Escher.

;-)

Forcing you to walk
round the entire store in the hope that you'll buy more than you
came for is part of the ruthless attitude to relieving you of your
money that Ikea seems to be looking for in its employees.

Isn't this just std retailing though, milk bread and butter at the
*back* of every supermarket?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 19/02/2017 18:29, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , pamela
wrote:

On 16:13 19 Feb 2017, Tim Streater wrote:

In article , pamela
wrote:

Not only is shopping at IKEA thoroughly unpleasant but many of
the goods it sells are in non-standard sizes.

Depends how you view that. I'm glad that our IKEA bed is 150cm
wide rather than the 140 that appears to be standard everywhere
I go. And which is very irritating.

When you need to get a replacement mattress you may find it tricky.
We had that problem. Same goes for their bed linen in non-standard
sizes.

Why would I need a replacement mattress?

They slow down with age.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Huge wrote:
BTW, love to have an example of a union fighting a 'political battle'

Southern Rail. That's pure politics. Not party politics, sure, but it's
about who runs the railways. It sure as **** doesn't have anything to
do with two man operation.

You don't consider it to be protecting existing jobs?

Unless you consider them fighting to protect jobs and conditions
political.

It can be.

Of course many think their job is to just lie down and accept any ****
a government decides to shovel on them - in 'the interests of the
country'. But that wasn't what I paid a union subscription for.

Me neither. But then, neither do I imagine that union bosses are pure as
the driven snow motivated by nothing more than their member's interests.

I'm one of those who know union bosses don't have that much power. There
is no chance they can go against the views of their union, as expressed by
the members at annual conference etc. They'd be out on their arse. Of
course the meja far prefer to have an individual they can hate.

In an actual dispute, they may have to take some decisions on the fly. But
at the end of the day they'd not last five minutes without the backing of
those who pay their wages - the members.

--
*A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
BTW, I don't actually know what that dispute is about. Both sides keep
any facts to themselves.

Even though driver operated doors happen all over the rest of the
network?

All the rest of the network has driver operated doors? What have you been
smoking?

And the big cheese of RMT or ASLEF or whatever it's called is
on record as saying their mission is to bring down the govt?

And the management would love to bring down the union. And support the
government. So what?

--
*If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
Forcing you to walk
round the entire store in the hope that you'll buy more than you
came for is part of the ruthless attitude to relieving you of your
money that Ikea seems to be looking for in its employees.

Isn't this just std retailing though, milk bread and butter at the
*back* of every supermarket?

Difficult to do, given many have both street and carpark entrances?

Blocking off the ends of the isles so you had to walk round every single
one in a zig-zag would be the IKEA equivalent

--
*Stable Relationships Are For Horses. *