Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wash hand basin tip

We have one of those wash hand basins with a bloody big plug hole. The
chrome plug drops in, you push this little lever to make the seal and pull
the little lever to pop the plug out.
Mrs Pounder Esq was brushing her teeth this morning and dropped the fat cap
off the toothpaste tube down the plug hole. It was quite a nice fit, about
three inches down. There was no way I could get a grip on it. It was not
wedged.
Against my wishes we have insurance with BG. I rang them, plumber coming out
this afternoon. Lady on the phone says this sort of thing happens a lot.
I looked at the little levers at the back of the basin that operate the
plug - ugg. Looked at the waste connection, even more uggggg.
I found one of those cotton wool bud things on a stick, covered the bud with
super glue and placed it on top of the cap. Ten minutes later I just pulled
the cap out.
Canceled the appointment with BG. They asked me what I'd done. They said
well thought out and they would pass the tip onto their plumbers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder Esquire formulated on Wednesday :
We have one of those wash hand basins with a bloody big plug hole. The chrome
plug drops in, you push this little lever to make the seal and pull the
little lever to pop the plug out.

We have two of those - when something happens to go down, the bottom of
the trap has a large cap which simply screws off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Mr Pounder Esquire formulated on Wednesday :
We have one of those wash hand basins with a bloody big plug hole.
The chrome plug drops in, you push this little lever to make the
seal and pull the little lever to pop the plug out.

We have two of those - when something happens to go down, the bottom
of the trap has a large cap which simply screws off.

The cap had not got down there due to the push rod in the plug hole stopping
it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mr Pounder Esquire
writes

I found one of those cotton wool bud things on a stick, covered the bud with
super glue and placed it on top of the cap. Ten minutes later I just pulled
the cap out.

My first thought was thin dowel with a dollop of blu-tak on the end, but
your idea sounds even better. Result.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 18:04:55 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

We have one of those wash hand basins with a bloody big plug hole. The
chrome plug drops in, you push this little lever to make the seal and
pull the little lever to pop the plug out.

Bloody awful things, just swapped out a lever operated one on a basin
and bowden cable operated one on the bath. Niether would seal
properly and all the mechanisium in the outflow trapped hair and soap
scum, yuk...

Bath has now got the KISS plastic plug on chain. The basin a flippy
disc *without* an "O" ring or seal around the edge. Both seal
reliably and have minimal parts in the flow, in the case of the
flippy disc just the flippy disc.

I can't work out how the completly free to rotate in *any* direction
and moderately loose fit flippy disc thing works so well.
I found one of those cotton wool bud things on a stick, covered the bud
with super glue and placed it on top of the cap. Ten minutes later I
just pulled the cap out.

Good solution. I'd have reached for the short "flexible grabber",

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 09:29:40 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Bath has now got the KISS plastic plug on chain. The basin a flippy
disc *without* an "O" ring or seal around the edge. Both seal
reliably and have minimal parts in the flow, in the case of the
flippy disc just the flippy disc.

You've just reminded me that I must replace the" chain" on the kitchen
sink. It is one of those constructed like a small series of beads and
the missus managed to break it last year. After a week of nagging that
she had to feel around for the plug I fixed it with the brass innards
of a 5 amp chocolate block connecter. Worked fine since but
cosmetically unacceptable to the other half.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote:
In message , Mr Pounder Esquire
writes

I found one of those cotton wool bud things on a stick, covered the
bud with super glue and placed it on top of the cap. Ten minutes
later I just pulled the cap out.

My first thought was thin dowel with a dollop of blu-tak on the end,
but your idea sounds even better. Result.

I also thought of the blu-tack method.
Thing is that under the toothpaste cap there is a horizontal rod that flips
the plug up. I really did not want to put pressure on it.
I made the effort as I could see the struggle that a plumber would have in
getting behind the basin and taking things apart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Bath has now got the KISS plastic plug on chain. The basin a flippy
disc *without* an "O" ring or seal around the edge. Both seal
reliably and have minimal parts in the flow, in the case of the
flippy disc just the flippy disc.

You've just reminded me that I must replace the" chain" on the kitchen
sink. It is one of those constructed like a small series of beads and
the missus managed to break it last year. After a week of nagging that
she had to feel around for the plug I fixed it with the brass innards
of a 5 amp chocolate block connecter. Worked fine since but
cosmetically unacceptable to the other half.

G.Harman

For heavens sake just buy a new chain! Your connector would be cosmetically
unacceptable to me also, and will be even more so when it goes green.
--
Dave W