Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wash basin pop up plug

The plugs where you operate a lever on the wash basin and a linkage
between the lever and the plug, causes it to pop up...

I'm presently trying to fit one to a wash basin, where the wash basin
is supported on a pedastal and the pedastal in in the way of rod which
has a the small plastic ball on it, which fits through the side of the
plug basket - this is the lower rod.

The entire thing uses two rods, the horizontal lower rod and a second
vertical one which ends above the surface of the wash basin.

I could put a bend in the lower rod, allowing it to turn around the
pedastal slightly, but then (due to the bend) operating the lever would
cause it to simply rotate rather than eject the plug.

It is working fine at the momoment by reach down under the wash basin
to operate the lower rod directly, but obviously I would like to try to
engineer a proper solution.

I long ago replaced the separate H & C taps, with a mixer and fitted a
chrome blank in the spare position.

My plan was to drill the blank to allow the operating rod to pass
through that, but as said, the pedastal is in the way of the direct
between them. Can you get a bowden type cable system for these, which
would make this possible?

Or plan B, would it be sensible to drill a hole through the porcelain?
There is a nice wide soap shelf along the rear edge of the wash basin
and doing it that way would allow a very direct route for the operating
rods.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

Those pop-up mechanisms are hateful things. I would ditch it in favour of a
"flippable" plug or one of the "press plug down to close, press again to
open types.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ used his keyboard to write :
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

I've already had one working absolutely fine on our other wash basin of
a different style for two or three years, so I was hoping to find a
method to get this to work too. They have the advantage of not needing
to feel about in the water for the plug, just push the button.

So I suppose my question now ought to be - Has anyone drilled a
porcelain wash basin? Any advice on doing that?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 11:08:32 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

[...]

IP65 switch in the washbasin blank controlling a solenoid, suppled by low
voltage DC.

wash basin in a bedroom kent UK diy 17 April 19th 12 05:27 PM
wash basin in a bedroom js.b1 UK diy 0 April 16th 12 10:54 PM
Wash basin on dab and dob wall John UK diy 8 October 12th 10 05:58 PM
New wash basin not vertical Arthur UK diy 4 September 6th 04 09:55 PM
Pedestal wash basin Mark Webb UK diy 11 August 20th 04 05:36 PM