Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Alternative to Ceiling Heating

On Saturday, 13 May 2006 20:21:19 UTC+1, Mary Fisher wrote:
"Speedy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I currently have an electric ceiling heating system that was installed

when my flat was built and wondered if anyone can offer suggestions on
alternative heating systems.

I have a one bedroom flat in a block that was built in the mid 70s. The

flat is joined onto the side of the first floor of the main block and
has a driveway running underneath. Therefore three of the four sides of
the flat are external walls, the floor is an external surface and there
is a pitched roof housing a loft space. There is no gas supply
installed in the block at all. The flat has double glazing (with air
vents) and loft insulation.

The ceiling heating system is in my opinion utter rubbish. It is

ridiculously expensive to run and is trying to defy the laws of
physics. I know how the concept is *supposed* to work (the heat
radiates down, heats up floor, walls and other objects which in turn
reflect heat around the room) but unfortunately this is by no means an
efficient way to heat a room. Bad points I have experienced a

- Massive electric bills - sometimes £200 a month in winter.

WHAT ???

- You end up feeling like you are under a sun bed when standing up, yet

the lower half of the room is cold.

That sounds like some heating systems in some shops! I walk out as soon as I
feel it.

- The floors are concrete construction and are carpeted - they always

feel cold.

- The ceiling plaster board expands and shrinks rapidly which causes

cracks.

Naturally.

- Flat suffers from excess condensation probably made worse by the

heating membrane in the ceiling forming a moisture barrier. Also
because the fabric of the building never gets properly warmed.

- When the heating is switched off the heat in the room disappears

almost instantly.

Who designs these systems?

I've never heard of ceiling heating but underfloor heating is, I believe,
the Work of the Devil. I understand that it's expensive to run (a son had it
as the sole heating in his housing association flat and had to move to a
council flat because of the expense) and I can't stand on a floor where
there's underfloor heating. It 'draws' my feet and I'm exhausted inside half
an hour. The Romans have a lot to answer for!

Don't the designers ever come off the drawing board to test their
inventions?

I'm sorry, this isn't a sufficient - or any kind of - answer to your post
but it gets it off my chest. Until next time something similar comes up.

Mary

There was a craze for ceiling heating back in the 70's.
Electric and hot water. It was donefor cheapness.
I have experience of it in large buildings, total dead loss.
You only have electricity.
Storage heaters are the way to go.
Most have controlled output these days, this is the aspect to check up on.

Or electric underfloor heating. (Costly and disruptive.)

A lot depends on occupation times/patterns.
ie when you are at home.