Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Alternative to Ceiling Heating

replying to Speedy, Carolyn wrote:
We have the same situation of a radiant ceiling system installed in the 1960s.
One room doesn't work and the others are very expensive, with heat buildup
near the ceiling and chills near the floor. I'm looking for alternatives to
retrofit our heating system.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ng-247704-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 5 February 2017 04:14:04 UTC, Carolyn wrote:
replying to Speedy, Carolyn wrote:

We have the same situation of a radiant ceiling system installed in the 1960s.
One room doesn't work and the others are very expensive, with heat buildup
near the ceiling and chills near the floor. I'm looking for alternatives to
retrofit our heating system.

In order of increasing cost:
Gas if you can
Oil is next best
Electric storage
And finally electric without storage

The key thing is to insulate insulate insulate.

And do yourself a favour and move to a sane newsgroup portal or client. This is news:uk.d-i-y.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Sunday, 5 February 2017 04:14:04 UTC, Carolyn wrote:
replying to Speedy, Carolyn wrote:

We have the same situation of a radiant ceiling system installed in the
1960s.
One room doesn't work and the others are very expensive, with heat
buildup
near the ceiling and chills near the floor. I'm looking for alternatives
retrofit our heating system.

In order of increasing cost:
Gas if you can
Oil is next best
Electric storage
And finally electric without storage

You have forgotten heat pumps.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I find radiant heaters in a bathroom very nice as it dries my hair off, but
for other places it seems an odd choice unless you want to cook your head.
If it was not for the noise of the fan, then a thermostatically controlled
fan heater does seem to be very useful at times.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
wrote in message
On Sunday, 5 February 2017 04:14:04 UTC, Carolyn wrote:
replying to Speedy, Carolyn wrote:

We have the same situation of a radiant ceiling system installed in the
1960s.
One room doesn't work and the others are very expensive, with heat
buildup
near the ceiling and chills near the floor. I'm looking for alternatives
retrofit our heating system.

In order of increasing cost:
Gas if you can
Oil is next best
Electric storage
And finally electric without storage

The key thing is to insulate insulate insulate.

And do yourself a favour and move to a sane newsgroup portal or client.
This is news:uk.d-i-y.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote :
I find radiant heaters in a bathroom very nice as it dries my hair off, but
for other places it seems an odd choice unless you want to cook your head.
If it was not for the noise of the fan, then a thermostatically controlled
fan heater does seem to be very useful at times.

Might a slow running fan be able to move heat from the ceiling, down to
the floor - as a quick, cheap fix?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher writes:

In new build.
It is having a woodburner fitted, to make sure it emits lots of CO2 and
pollutants though.

I expect the burning of wood in woodburners to be banned in
London (and maybe other smokeless fuel zones) within a couple
of years. It is only allowed at the moment by way of a list
of specific makes/models of wood burners which are exempted
from the current smokeless fuel regulations, and I suspect
that list will simply be emptied, which requires no change
in the law.

--
Andrew Gabriel