Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Appliances

On 01/02/2017 22:35, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 01 Feb 2017 17:45:14 +0000, Max Demian wrote:

On 01/02/2017 17:09, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 01 Feb 2017 15:31:00 +0000, tim... wrote:
"Bob Eager" wrote in message

I learned the hard way to check the pump outlet on the washing
machine.

I wouldn't even know how to get to the pump outlet, on my washing
machine

the only accessible parts are the door, the soap tray and a few
buttons

Quite a few machines have a little flap at the bottom front (if you're
lucky). Behind that.

I think they went out when zip fasteners were invented.

Including my 3 year old Bosch?

Is that your son?

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message

I learned the hard way to check the pump outlet on the washing
machine.

I wouldn't even know how to get to the pump outlet, on my washing
machine

the only accessible parts are the door, the soap tray and a few
buttons

Quite a few machines have a little flap at the bottom front (if
you're lucky). Behind that.

I think they went out when zip fasteners were invented.

Including my 3 year old Bosch?

Is that your son?

Sigh.

He was talking about gents apparel not washing machines Bob.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 01 Feb 2017 18:00:28 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Wed, 01 Feb 2017 17:06:30 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Graham. wrote:
On Wed, 01 Feb 2017 13:24:29 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

As someone who enjoys tinkering and is a bit dissapointed if the
filter in the dishwasher really didn't need cleaning, it got me
wondering how the hopeless and feckless get by with their appliances.
I have friends who have a cleaning lady. I must ask if they get her
to do these maintenance tasks.

Idle moments can be filled with cleaning the filters in the Dyson,
Checking the washing machine seal for coins, checking its pump
outlet, dismantling the oven to clean it, de-fluffing the tumble
drier - even cleaning the Magnetic thing in the central heating and
adjusting the pressure.

Do people just await a breakdown - or is there a job opportunity for
a Handyman?

Two things that come to mind are
I always empty the upright vacuum cleaner canister before use even it
it is almost empty,
and I always clean the fluff off the tumble dryer screen before use.

I always the canister after every use, clean the fluff off the tumble dryer
filter after every use.

Pointless. Do you also fill your car with petrol when you've used a tenth of the tank?

That's the wrong analogy.

You should be asking whether I just keep enough fuel in the tank for
the next journey and no more.

Of course not, but there is a cost to hauling around fuel that's not
needed.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Same question, except you're considering low amounts of fuel for some strange reason. I'm comparing 90% full and 25% full.

Of course not, but there is a cost to hauling around fuel that's not
needed.

Only the time taken to refuel unnecessarily. I refuel at 1/4 full. If I lived in the middle of nowhere and didn't get anywhere near a petrol station for ages, I'd keep it at a higher level, as do many Americans.

--
Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same. -- Oscar Wilde

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:

Yes I know (I have previously had a stand-alone washer)

but if my current washer doers have such a little flap it's hidden behind
the built in kitchen parts

Yes, I have to remove the kicking strip to get at mine. :-(

The first time I had to have a look, it was full of fluff from a
new washable doormat, and it was certainly a struggle to unscrew
the cover.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Adrian Caspersz
escribió:

The "make shirts pink" button is the thing that gets me. Why can't they
label it properly?

You mean a "red sock detected in white wash" indicator?

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well what I'd like to know is this. Why are washing machine filters right at
ground level so you cannot get a tray under them when you open them and
flood the floor?
Why do vacuum cleaners need so many filters and why do they always seem to
need cleaning every few weeks which has to be done outside due to the dust
that would otherwise end up back in the air at home.

If we all had filtered air in our homes would it remove the need to clean
things?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
As someone who enjoys tinkering and is a bit dissapointed if the filter in
the dishwasher really didn't need cleaning, it got me wondering how the
hopeless and feckless get by with their appliances.
I have friends who have a cleaning lady. I must ask if they get her to do
these maintenance tasks.

Idle moments can be filled with cleaning the filters in the Dyson,
Checking
the washing machine seal for coins, checking its pump outlet, dismantling
the oven to clean it, de-fluffing the tumble drier - even cleaning the
Magnetic thing in the central heating and adjusting the pressure.

Do people just await a breakdown - or is there a job opportunity for a
Handyman?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/02/2017 15:28, tim... wrote:

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
As someone who enjoys tinkering and is a bit dissapointed if the
filter in
the dishwasher really didn't need cleaning, it got me wondering how the
hopeless and feckless get by with their appliances.
I have friends who have a cleaning lady. I must ask if they get her to do
these maintenance tasks.

Idle moments can be filled with cleaning the filters in the Dyson,
Checking
the washing machine seal for coins, checking its pump outlet, dismantling
the oven to clean it, de-fluffing the tumble drier - even cleaning the
Magnetic thing in the central heating and adjusting the pressure.

what's this "magnetic thing" in the central heating?

I suspect he is referring to a filter device such as a Magnaclean or a
Fernox TF1. These are installed in the primary circulation loop, close
to the return before the boiler. The better ones are combined cyclonic
and magnetic filters. Their purpose is to trap any particulate and
magnetite before they get into the boiler, and potentially accumulate in
the (very narrow on modern boilers) water pathways of the main HE.

Probably of not much benefit on old cast iron lump boilers (although
they will keep the system water cleaner). However recommended for
systems with modern HE boilers.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/02/2017 16:30, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Adrian Caspersz laid this down on his screen :
On 01/02/17 16:04, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
tim... formulated the question :

what's this "magnetic thing" in the central heating?

tim

I've seen magnets clipped to steel pipes on commercial heating systems.
I guess the theory is they collect rusty particals as they go past.

Yup. I've got a MagnaClean on our system. Keeps down the black sludge
and saves the heat exchanger.

http://www.adey.com/homeowners

Some have other magnets/crystals/wires attached to pipes for various
voodoo treatments and avoidance of dark curses. Them be mad me thinks.

I'm not convinced, if the heating system is reasonably maintained. Ours
is 36 years old, has had inhibiter in from new, has only been drained
once in that time and was clear - then refilled complete with inhibiter.

For a system of that age and type, there is probably little need. For a
modern HE boiler then they are worthwhile since it takes very little
sludge to block a modern HE, or a small amount of particulates will
start to erode the fins on some ali HEs.

When I installed my current boiler I flushed the system very carefully
until it ran perfectly clear. Its always had inhibitor. If you look at
the water it appears clear as well. However the filter still captures
about a table spoons worth of magnetite each year.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/02/2017 16:51, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Adrian Caspersz
wrote:

On 01/02/17 16:04, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
tim... formulated the question :

what's this "magnetic thing" in the central heating?

tim

I've seen magnets clipped to steel pipes on commercial heating systems.
I guess the theory is they collect rusty particals as they go past.

Yup. I've got a MagnaClean on our system. Keeps down the black sludge
and saves the heat exchanger.

http://www.adey.com/homeowners

Fernox TF1 here.

yup same here...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/02/2017 17:08, Max Demian wrote:
On 01/02/2017 15:28, tim... wrote:

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
As someone who enjoys tinkering and is a bit dissapointed if the
filter in
the dishwasher really didn't need cleaning, it got me wondering how the
hopeless and feckless get by with their appliances.
I have friends who have a cleaning lady. I must ask if they get her
to do
these maintenance tasks.

Idle moments can be filled with cleaning the filters in the Dyson,
Checking
the washing machine seal for coins, checking its pump outlet,
dismantling
the oven to clean it, de-fluffing the tumble drier - even cleaning the
Magnetic thing in the central heating and adjusting the pressure.

what's this "magnetic thing" in the central heating?

Maybe something like this:
http://www.jtmplumbing.co.uk/water-t...educer-pp13313

But they don't need cleaning and probably work by voodoo:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_water_treatment

Indeed - they don't need fitting either ;-)

I think the comment was about something like:

https://www.fernox.com/filters/tf1-total-filter

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 02 Feb 2017 08:30:33 +0000, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

tim... wrote:

Yes I know (I have previously had a stand-alone washer)

but if my current washer doers have such a little flap it's hidden behind
the built in kitchen parts

Yes, I have to remove the kicking strip to get at mine. :-(

The first time I had to have a look, it was full of fluff from a
new washable doormat, and it was certainly a struggle to unscrew
the cover.

Chris

Same with my Beco. A tiny amount of lint, and an unscheduled wash for
the kitchen floor.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/2017 11:07, John Rumm wrote:
On 01/02/2017 17:08, Max Demian wrote:
On 01/02/2017 15:28, tim... wrote:

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
[...]

"This Corgi award-winning filter combines hydrocyclonic action with
powerful Neodymium magnetic assemblies, to remove magnetic and
non-magnetic contaminants from system water and contain them safely
within the filter."

Sounds like snake oil to me.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/2017 10:53, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well what I'd like to know is this. Why are washing machine filters right at
ground level so you cannot get a tray under them when you open them and
flood the floor?
Why do vacuum cleaners need so many filters and why do they always seem to
need cleaning every few weeks which has to be done outside due to the dust
that would otherwise end up back in the air at home.

If we all had filtered air in our homes would it remove the need to clean
things?

You're forgetting dead skin cells. (Reputedly half of all household dust.)

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 2 February 2017 14:41:44 UTC, Max Demian wrote:
On 02/02/2017 10:53, Brian Gaff wrote:

Well what I'd like to know is this. Why are washing machine filters right at
ground level so you cannot get a tray under them when you open them and
flood the floor?
Why do vacuum cleaners need so many filters and why do they always seem to
need cleaning every few weeks which has to be done outside due to the dust
that would otherwise end up back in the air at home.

If we all had filtered air in our homes would it remove the need to clean
things?

You're forgetting dead skin cells. (Reputedly half of all household dust.)

I'm told it does work quite well. A robot vac that goes round daily would probably help too.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/02/17 15:00, Bob Eager wrote:

I learned the hard way to check the pump outlet on the washing machine.
It eventually stopped working, and helpfully told me why.

Ditto.

I couldn't get the cover on the front of the pump undone without
destroying it

Same. Made a complete bollox of the housing while I was at it.

I changed the pump. It was still a major job getting the cover off the
old punmp (it involved a Dremel). I now have a serviceable spare, any way.

I got completely ****ed off and bought a new washer. I love the new one
so glad it happened.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff explained :
Well what I'd like to know is this. Why are washing machine filters right at
ground level so you cannot get a tray under them when you open them and flood
the floor?

Because the pump and drain etc. are at the bottom. Lucky if the filter
is even at the front with an easy access, mine is at the rear and
impossible to reach unless the machine is raised off the floor. The
filter housing is rubber(?) fixed to the pump via a large jubilee clip.
A thin clipped tray, such as McD's serve food on can be slid under
even with the machine on the floor.

Why do vacuum cleaners need so many filters and why do they always seem to
need cleaning every few weeks which has to be done outside due to the dust
that would otherwise end up back in the air at home.

If we all had filtered air in our homes would it remove the need to clean
things?

Dust from soft furnishings and clothes, skin and hair from occupants,
dust and dirt brought in from outdoors, plus more brought in via leaks
in the fabric.

I do wonder if an internal air circulation system might help reduce
dust, maybe with a high voltage plenum system as the filter.

You only need to look around internal door frames, to see how much dust
and dirt flows past them in the air.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

But they don't need cleaning and probably work by voodoo:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_water_treatment

Indeed - they don't need fitting either ;-)

I think the comment was about something like:

https://www.fernox.com/filters/tf1-total-filter

It is a Adey Magnaclean. I like to see what it has caught.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Well what I'd like to know is this. Why are washing machine filters right
at ground level

Because they need to be lower than the drum.

so you cannot get a tray under them when you open them and flood the
floor?

No big deal here, the laundry has a concrete/tiled floor.

Why do vacuum cleaners need so many filters

Because they end up with all the dirt and dust in them.

and why do they always seem to need cleaning every few weeks

Mine doesn’t.

which has to be done outside due to the dust that would otherwise end up
back in the air at home.

Because nothing else is practical.

If we all had filtered air in our homes would it remove the need to clean
things?

Yes, that’s what I had in the computer room
at work and it didn’t need any cleaning.

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.236...
As someone who enjoys tinkering and is a bit dissapointed if the filter
in
the dishwasher really didn't need cleaning, it got me wondering how the
hopeless and feckless get by with their appliances.
I have friends who have a cleaning lady. I must ask if they get her to do
these maintenance tasks.

Idle moments can be filled with cleaning the filters in the Dyson,
Checking
the washing machine seal for coins, checking its pump outlet, dismantling
the oven to clean it, de-fluffing the tumble drier - even cleaning the
Magnetic thing in the central heating and adjusting the pressure.

Do people just await a breakdown - or is there a job opportunity for a
Handyman?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
As someone who enjoys tinkering and is a bit dissapointed if the
filter in the dishwasher really didn't need cleaning, it got me
wondering how the hopeless and feckless get by with their appliances.
I have friends who have a cleaning lady. I must ask if they get her
to do these maintenance tasks.

Idle moments can be filled with cleaning the filters in the Dyson,
Checking the washing machine seal for coins, checking its pump
outlet, dismantling the oven to clean it, de-fluffing the tumble
drier - even cleaning the Magnetic thing in the central heating and
adjusting the pressure.

Do people just await a breakdown - or is there a job opportunity for a
Handyman?

No job opportunities for preventive maintenance in a house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 02 Feb 2017 19:30:27 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

DerbyBorn wrote:
As someone who enjoys tinkering and is a bit dissapointed if the
filter in the dishwasher really didn't need cleaning, it got me
wondering how the hopeless and feckless get by with their appliances.
I have friends who have a cleaning lady. I must ask if they get her
to do these maintenance tasks.

Idle moments can be filled with cleaning the filters in the Dyson,
Checking the washing machine seal for coins, checking its pump
outlet, dismantling the oven to clean it, de-fluffing the tumble
drier - even cleaning the Magnetic thing in the central heating and
adjusting the pressure.

Do people just await a breakdown - or is there a job opportunity for a
Handyman?

No job opportunities for preventive maintenance in a house.

I'm sure a maid could do such things.

--
A conclusion is simply the place where someone got tired of thinking.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote:
As someone who enjoys tinkering and is a bit dissapointed if the
filter in the dishwasher really didn't need cleaning, it got me
wondering how the hopeless and feckless get by with their
appliances. I have friends who have a cleaning lady. I must ask if
they get her to do these maintenance tasks.

Idle moments can be filled with cleaning the filters in the Dyson,
Checking the washing machine seal for coins, checking its pump
outlet, dismantling the oven to clean it, de-fluffing the tumble
drier - even cleaning the Magnetic thing in the central heating and
adjusting the pressure.

Do people just await a breakdown - or is there a job opportunity
for a Handyman?

No job opportunities for preventive maintenance in a house.

I'm sure a maid could do such things.

Do you even know what a Magnaclean is?
Thought not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote:
As someone who enjoys tinkering and is a bit dissapointed if the
filter in the dishwasher really didn't need cleaning, it got me
wondering how the hopeless and feckless get by with their
appliances. I have friends who have a cleaning lady. I must ask if
they get her to do these maintenance tasks.

Idle moments can be filled with cleaning the filters in the Dyson,
Checking the washing machine seal for coins, checking its pump
outlet, dismantling the oven to clean it, de-fluffing the tumble
drier - even cleaning the Magnetic thing in the central heating and
adjusting the pressure.

Do people just await a breakdown - or is there a job opportunity
for a Handyman?

No job opportunities for preventive maintenance in a house.

I'm sure a maid could do such things.

Do you even know what a Magnaclean is?
Thought not.

Something completely unnecessary. My heating system has run for about 20 years without it.

--
In 1977, researchers detected a strong radio signal from space that lasted 72 seconds. It hasn't been detected since.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/2017 10:53, Brian Gaff wrote:
If we all had filtered air in our homes would it remove the need to clean
things?

No. Quite a lot of dust is skin.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote:
[...]

Agreed, I installed the CH in our last house and all that I added was
Fernox inhibitor. It was still working 100% when we sold the house 25
years later. I vacuumed the boiler out only 3 times in all of that time.
All I ever had to renew was the pump plus about 4 thermocouples @ about
£4 each. The system needed nothing else added to it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/2017 14:39, Max Demian wrote:
On 02/02/2017 11:07, John Rumm wrote:

But they don't need cleaning and probably work by voodoo:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_water_treatment

Indeed - they don't need fitting either ;-)

I think the comment was about something like:

https://www.fernox.com/filters/tf1-total-filter

"This Corgi award-winning filter combines hydrocyclonic action with
powerful Neodymium magnetic assemblies, to remove magnetic and
non-magnetic contaminants from system water and contain them safely
within the filter."

Sounds like snake oil to me.

You need to recalibrate your snake oil detector then...

IME They work and are very effective.

Search youtube - plenty of demo rigs and videos of people emptying them...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/17 15:40, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Brian Gaff explained :
[...]

Indeed. Most 'dust' is shed skin. Not a nice thought but true.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Feb 2017 12:40:45 +0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

Dust from soft furnishings and clothes, skin and hair from occupants,
dust and dirt brought in from outdoors, plus more brought in via leaks
in the fabric.

Indeed. Most 'dust' is shed skin. Not a nice thought but true.

Worse than that. It is skin that has passed through dust mites.

Needs some Hipsters to pronounce it makes a specialty Coffee to their
friends. and it will be worth harvesting.

G.Harman