Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Parking - and Terraced housing

Parking in some arreas of terraced housing is a problem. Looking on Google
Earth I see lots of back yards that are unloved and un-used.

Has any town opened up the back gardens to provide off street parking?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

They will still park on the road. We have some small blocks of flats around here, each has a garage to the rear with parking but they all still park at the front on the pavement or narrowing the road. It is not even a security issue as all the flats have their lounges and main bedrooms facing the garage/parking area it just means they have to walk a few metres more. God forbid we go all electric cars with hundreds of charging cables strewn across pavements.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tricky Dicky" wrote in message
They will still park on the road. We have some small blocks of flats
around here, each has a garage to the rear with parking but they all still
park at the front on the pavement or narrowing the road. It is not even a
security issue as all the flats have their lounges and main bedrooms
facing the garage/parking area it just means they have to walk a few
metres more.

more likely that their 2010 car won't fit in a 1960 sized garage (even if
the property was built in 2010 it will still come with a 1960 sized garage -
if one at all)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/01/17 10:20, tim... wrote:

"Tricky Dicky" wrote in message
They will still park on the road. We have some small blocks of flats
around here, each has a garage to the rear with parking but they all
still park at the front on the pavement or narrowing the road. It is
not even a security issue as all the flats have their lounges and main
bedrooms facing the garage/parking area it just means they have to
walk a few metres more.

more likely that their 2010 car won't fit in a 1960 sized garage (even
if the property was built in 2010 it will still come with a 1960 sized
garage - if one at all)

tim

A Deawoo Lanos barely fitted in the garage at my rented house, which was
built circa: 1990. It fitted, but parking took lots of effort and it was
only just possible to squeeze out with the car hard over to the other wall.

My current car would have no chance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 31 January 2017 10:30:30 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On 31/01/17 10:20, tim... wrote:

[...]

Any competent DIYer could build/modify a garage to fit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/01/17 10:20, tim... wrote:

[...]

not if it's between two others in a block

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:
more likely that their 2010 car won't fit in a 1960 sized garage (even
if the property was built in 2010 it will still come with a 1960 sized
garage - if one at all)

Remember, in the 1960s, a pal buying an expensive pre-war detached house
with a built in garage. Rare in those days. It would just about take an
Austin 1100. But not wide enough to allow driver and passenger doors to
open. I'd guess it was the same size as most standard garages today.

--
*I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Remember, in the 1960s, a pal buying an expensive pre-war detached house
with a built in garage. Rare in those days. It would just about take an
Austin 1100. But not wide enough to allow driver and passenger doors to
open. I'd guess it was the same size as most standard garages today.

I once had a pre war house with double garage, but it was not
deep enough for my Volvo 240. :-(

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 10:03:44 AM UTC, Tricky Dicky wrote:
They will still park on the road. We have some small blocks of flats around here, each has a garage to the rear with parking but they all still park at the front on the pavement or narrowing the road. It is not even a security issue as all the flats have their lounges and main bedrooms facing the garage/parking area it just means they have to walk a few metres more. God forbid we go all electric cars with hundreds of charging cables strewn across pavements.

Richard

Around here there are car parks behind the houses. I will not use them as I don't want my car set on fire like others that have been parked there.

Philip
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Around here we have the additional problem that the council is allowing any
old resident to get a driveway. This despite a 100 ft plus garden at the
rear with an access road. This means that more and more of the footway is
now driveway, meaning fewer on street parked cars but more difficulties for
me due to there being no curbs or fences to follow down the road. The upshot
of this is that cars are parked all over the place even in the back road
stopping people using their rear garages.
Really in my view all these people should have been refused permission for
driveways. This would then have meant a more suitable way of parking the
extra cars at the front.
I strongly suspect that the allowing of these driveways was profit
motivated as they have to pay the council to both allow them and to arrange
to build them.
I honestly feel like many people ae are almost like the Thunderbirds crews
being automatically stowed in their cars straight from the inside of the
house. Talk about being lazy. too lazy to walk 100 feet to their garage?
Really?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Tricky Dicky" wrote in message
They will still park on the road. We have some small blocks of flats around
here, each has a garage to the rear with parking but they all still park at
the front on the pavement or narrowing the road. It is not even a security
issue as all the flats have their lounges and main bedrooms facing the
garage/parking area it just means they have to walk a few metres more. God
forbid we go all electric cars with hundreds of charging cables strewn
across pavements.

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I honestly feel like many people ae are almost like the Thunderbirds crews
being automatically stowed in their cars straight from the inside of the
house. Talk about being lazy. too lazy to walk 100 feet to their garage?
Really?
Brian

I think laziness plays a big part in a lot of parking.

We have a primary school and local shop at the end of our street with a reasonably big car park. Its hardly ever full and free without any restrictions. There is a children's play park opposite our house and we regularly get people parking their cards opposite our drive (making getting in and out trickier) while they take their kids to the park for some exercise. Parking opposite our house means they have to walk about 20 meters less to get to the park!

Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Around here we have the additional problem that the council is allowing
any old resident to get a driveway.

And so they should.

This despite a 100 ft plus garden at the rear with an access road. This
means that more and more of the footway is now driveway, meaning fewer on
street parked cars but more difficulties for me due to there being no
curbs or fences to follow down the road.

Sure, but its just not viable to ban driveways because a microscopic
minority
of blind people find that more difficult to handle than no driveways.

The upshot of this is that cars are parked all over the place even in the
back road stopping people using their rear garages.

Really in my view all these people should have been refused permission for
driveways. This would then have meant a more suitable way of parking the
extra cars at the front.

There is no more suitable way.

I strongly suspect that the allowing of these driveways was profit
motivated as they have to pay the council to both allow them and to
arrange to build them.

Its actually because it’s the best way to handle
the cars that almost everyone has now.

I honestly feel like many people ae are almost like the Thunderbirds
crews being automatically stowed in their cars straight from the inside of
the house. Talk about being lazy. too lazy to walk 100 feet to their
garage?

Its got nothing to do with being too lazy. I personally park right next to
the front door myself for various reasons, nothing to do with being lazy.

So do almost everyone else I know too, even when they do have a garage.

The house the kids have just bought has a full sized garage, but
the previous tenant and the current one chose to store stuff in it.

That place has an immense 3 car wide carport right next to the
garage and the current tenant chooses to park in the drive in
front of the garage rather than bothering to open the massive
great doors in front of the carport. I would too if I was living there.

Really?

Yep, really.

"Tricky Dicky" wrote in message
They will still park on the road. We have some small blocks of flats
around here, each has a garage to the rear with parking but they all still
park at the front on the pavement or narrowing the road. It is not even a
security issue as all the flats have their lounges and main bedrooms
facing the garage/parking area it just means they have to walk a few
metres more. God forbid we go all electric cars with hundreds of charging
cables strewn across pavements.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 09:37:47 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

Parking in some arreas of terraced housing is a problem. Looking on Google
Earth I see lots of back yards that are unloved and un-used.

Has any town opened up the back gardens to provide off street parking?

I would think many would need some demolition or wholesale rebuilding
to do that , more so if its a street as depicted on Coronation street
with only small back yards accessed by an alley.

If a town has got powers or finances to do that then perhaps they
would be better put to use in making more living spaces for people
rather than vehicles.
There has to be some provision for the storage of personal transport
but nowadays many households wish to have more than one, a wish that
cannot easily be accommodated.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Parking in some arreas of terraced housing is a problem. Looking on Google
Earth I see lots of back yards that are unloved and un-used.

Has any town opened up the back gardens to provide off street parking?

I would think many would need some demolition or wholesale rebuilding
to do that , more so if its a street as depicted on Coronation street
with only small back yards accessed by an alley.

If a town has got powers or finances to do that then perhaps they
would be better put to use in making more living spaces for people
rather than vehicles.

There has to be some provision for the storage of personal transport
but nowadays many households wish to have more than one, a wish that
cannot easily be accommodated.

I don't believe that last. Even a terrace backyard
should be able to manage more than one car.

And it doesn't have to be a garage either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

You are evidently not familiar with UK Victorian terraces.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo ,
newshound escribió:

You are evidently not familiar with UK Victorian terraces.

Wodney isn't familiar with reality.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 09:37:47 GMT, DerbyBorn wrote:

Parking in some arreas of terraced housing is a problem. Looking on Google
Earth I see lots of back yards that are unloved and un-used.

Has any town opened up the back gardens to provide off street parking?

How are the owners expected to access this space?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mechanic" wrote in message
On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 09:37:47 GMT, DerbyBorn wrote:

Parking in some arreas of terraced housing is a problem. Looking on
Google
Earth I see lots of back yards that are unloved and un-used.

Has any town opened up the back gardens to provide off street parking?

How are the owners expected to access this space?

down the back alleyway

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:

"mechanic" wrote in message
On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 09:37:47 GMT, DerbyBorn wrote:

Parking in some arreas of terraced housing is a problem. Looking on
Google
Earth I see lots of back yards that are unloved and un-used.

Has any town opened up the back gardens to provide off street parking?

How are the owners expected to access this space?

down the back alleyway

Never seen one one that isn't muddy, potholed, littered with rubbish and
generally anywhere I'd want to take my car.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
news
tim... wrote:

"mechanic" wrote in message
On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 09:37:47 GMT, DerbyBorn wrote:

Parking in some arreas of terraced housing is a problem. Looking on
Google
Earth I see lots of back yards that are unloved and un-used.

Has any town opened up the back gardens to provide off street parking?

How are the owners expected to access this space?

down the back alleyway

Never seen one one that isn't muddy, potholed, littered with rubbish and
generally anywhere I'd want to take my car.

well that's a different matter

that can be improved

tim

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
news
tim... wrote:

"mechanic" wrote in message
On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 09:37:47 GMT, DerbyBorn wrote:

Parking in some arreas of terraced housing is a problem. Looking on
Google
Earth I see lots of back yards that are unloved and un-used.

Has any town opened up the back gardens to provide off street parking?

How are the owners expected to access this space?

down the back alleyway

Never seen one one that isn't muddy, potholed,

Trivially fixed when redoing the back gardens to provide off street parking.

littered with rubbish

Ditto.

and generally anywhere I'd want to take my car.

But would be when done properly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/01/2017 13:28, tim... wrote:

down the back alleyway

In the 70s when I was installing aerials in places with terraced rows
and back alleys, I often needed to get the van down the alley. Sometimes
women would stretch their washing lines across the alley. I was
intolerant of this, especially when they did it while I was parked
further along the alley. I would simply drive off, and sometimes the
line would get caught on the roof ladder's hook and the washing would
either fall to the ground or come home with me. I had the attitude that
it was the woman's own fault.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
In the 70s when I was installing aerials in places with terraced rows
and back alleys, I often needed to get the van down the alley. Sometimes
women would stretch their washing lines across the alley. I was
intolerant of this, especially when they did it while I was parked
further along the alley. I would simply drive off, and sometimes the
line would get caught on the roof ladder's hook and the washing would
either fall to the ground or come home with me. I had the attitude that
it was the woman's own fault.

Many of those back lanes were actually private roads - not 'adopted' by
the council. With no right of access to the public - ie you.

--
*You can't teach an old mouse new clicks *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
writes
In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
In the 70s when I was installing aerials in places with terraced rows
and back alleys, I often needed to get the van down the alley. Sometimes
women would stretch their washing lines across the alley. I was
intolerant of this, especially when they did it while I was parked
further along the alley. I would simply drive off, and sometimes the
line would get caught on the roof ladder's hook and the washing would
either fall to the ground or come home with me. I had the attitude that
it was the woman's own fault.

Many of those back lanes were actually private roads - not 'adopted' by
the council. With no right of access to the public - ie you.

When I went to live in Leeds in1965 it was still common to see clothes
lines over public roads, running from the first floors of the terraced
houses on either side of the street
--
Chris Holford
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Many areas of terraced houses have at least one large access (although now
sometimes built on) from when the houses were built - for builder's access.
They didn't bring all the materials for the backs of the houses through the
front doorways - or through the narrow entries. Sometimes such access
became a trade premises - Blacksmiths. Shop, etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:

"mechanic" wrote in message
On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 09:37:47 GMT, DerbyBorn wrote:

Parking in some arreas of terraced housing is a problem. Looking on
Google
Earth I see lots of back yards that are unloved and un-used.

Has any town opened up the back gardens to provide off street parking?

How are the owners expected to access this space?

down the back alleyway

which is rarely wide enough for a car

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
tim... wrote:

"mechanic" wrote in message
On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 09:37:47 GMT, DerbyBorn wrote:

Parking in some arreas of terraced housing is a problem. Looking on
Google
Earth I see lots of back yards that are unloved and un-used.

Has any town opened up the back gardens to provide off street parking?

How are the owners expected to access this space?

down the back alleyway

which is rarely wide enough for a car

it's not that uncommon

50-50 perhaps

tim

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
Parking in some arreas of terraced housing is a problem. Looking on Google
Earth I see lots of back yards that are unloved and un-used.

Has any town opened up the back gardens to provide off street parking?

I think the guiding principle that prevails in bureaucracies across the
country is to /not/ make life any easier for the evil motorist.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 09:37:47 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

Parking in some arreas of terraced housing is a problem. Looking on
Google Earth I see lots of back yards that are unloved and un-used.

Has any town opened up the back gardens to provide off street parking?

They built some housing association houses just round the corner here.
Access between two houses to parking at the back.

They all park in the street.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 09:37:47 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

Parking in some arreas of terraced housing is a problem. Looking on
Google Earth I see lots of back yards that are unloved and un-used.

Has any town opened up the back gardens to provide off street parking?

They built some housing association houses just round the corner here.
Access between two houses to parking at the back.

They all park in the street.

I think it becomes a matter of getting in there before anyone else does.
'Claiming' the space for oneself, as it were.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 14:29:55 +0000, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 09:37:47 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

Parking in some arreas of terraced housing is a problem. Looking on
Google Earth I see lots of back yards that are unloved and un-used.

Has any town opened up the back gardens to provide off street parking?

They built some housing association houses just round the corner here.
Access between two houses to parking at the back.

They all park in the street.

I think it becomes a matter of getting in there before anyone else does.
'Claiming' the space for oneself, as it were.

No, it's usually empty.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 09:37:47 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

Parking in some arreas of terraced housing is a problem. Looking on
Google Earth I see lots of back yards that are unloved and un-used.

Has any town opened up the back gardens to provide off street parking?

They built some housing association houses just round the corner here.
Access between two houses to parking at the back.

They all park in the street.

I think it becomes a matter of getting in there before anyone else does.
'Claiming' the space for oneself, as it were.

No, it's usually empty.

I mean the area in the street :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 09:37:47 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

Parking in some arreas of terraced housing is a problem. Looking on
Google Earth I see lots of back yards that are unloved and un-used.

Has any town opened up the back gardens to provide off street
parking?

They built some housing association houses just round the corner
here.
Access between two houses to parking at the back.

They all park in the street.

I think it becomes a matter of getting in there before anyone else
does.
'Claiming' the space for oneself, as it were.

No, it's usually empty.

I mean the area in the street :-)

True. It's very congested - we live near the station.

They've built a bus garage very near us (won't bother us). They widened
the road, and now the commuters are parking in the space made!

Result...it's offloaded a lot of them from near us.