Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Seized radiator bleed valves

They are steel radiators installed about 17 years ago. the bleed valves
are seized, the normal keys just break when trying to open them. any
suggestions please? I am dreading the need to bleed them, I do not want
the disruption of having the radiators replaced1
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
They are steel radiators installed about 17 years ago. the bleed valves
are seized, the normal keys just break when trying to open them. any
suggestions please? I am dreading the need to bleed them, I do not want
the disruption of having the radiators replaced1

Just fit new ones in the unused radiator ports?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:

They are steel radiators installed about 17 years ago. the bleed valves
are seized, the normal keys just break when trying to open them. any
suggestions please?

Are they the normal type with 1/2" (one bleedable, the other not) plugs?
Take the whole plug out with a rad key and replace.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/radiator-hex-key/dp/B0017AX3C4

I've generally kept a few plugs when I have been removing/replacing
radiators, you can buy the new style, not sure if you can still get the
old solid brass version ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/radiator-bleed-plug/B007JX6CVM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 10:33:35 +0000, Broadback
wrote:

They are steel radiators installed about 17 years ago. the bleed valves
are seized, the normal keys just break when trying to open them. any
suggestions please? I am dreading the need to bleed them, I do not want
the disruption of having the radiators replaced1

Silly question, but when you say 'the normal keys' are you referring
to plastic or metal keys? The plastic keys are wholly useless.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott wrote:

Silly question, but when you say 'the normal keys' are you referring
to plastic or metal keys? The plastic keys are wholly useless.

Oh when they sieze, they sieze. I broke four keys of different types
trying to remove one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

They are steel radiators installed about 17 years ago. the bleed valves
are seized, the normal keys just break when trying to open them. any
suggestions please? I am dreading the need to bleed them, I do not want
the disruption of having the radiators replaced1

Silly question, but when you say 'the normal keys' are you referring
to plastic or metal keys? The plastic keys are wholly useless.

As are the die cast metal ones. A steel one may distort when enough
leverage is applied, but it won't break.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:

Scott wrote:

The plastic keys are wholly useless.

As are the die cast metal ones. A steel one may distort when enough
leverage is applied, but it won't break.

I thought the brass ones with a pin through the end were strong enough,
but when I had a seized valve, the cylindrical part split open along the
length.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

They are steel radiators installed about 17 years ago. the bleed valves
are seized, the normal keys just break when trying to open them. any
suggestions please? I am dreading the need to bleed them, I do not want
the disruption of having the radiators replaced1

Silly question, but when you say 'the normal keys' are you referring
to plastic or metal keys? The plastic keys are wholly useless.

And often so are some of the metal ones. I've had some made of a silver
coloured coarse grained cast monkey metal that has broken when used with
a pair of pliers to get extra grip. I prefer the brass ones with a large
area for gripping.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-SOLID-...AMXQWzNSe24 j

OR

http://tinyurl.com/hlwq6ls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 28 January 2017 10:33:37 UTC, Broadback wrote:
They are steel radiators installed about 17 years ago. the bleed valves
are seized, the normal keys just break when trying to open them. any
suggestions please? I am dreading the need to bleed them, I do not want
the disruption of having the radiators replaced1

With some older radiators, the bleed valves are installed on a blanking plug.
You can change the whole plug.
At 17 years old, the radiators may well be knackered anyway.
You could try applying heat and penetrating oil.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback Wrote in message:
They are steel radiators installed about 17 years ago. the bleed valves
are seized, the normal keys just break when trying to open them. any
suggestions please? I am dreading the need to bleed them, I do not want
the disruption of having the radiators replaced1

We have rads at work where the bleed key is tapped into the back
of each panel.
No 1/2" screwed plugs with centre bleed nipple tapping - nightmare!

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:

They are steel radiators installed about 17 years ago. the bleed valves
are seized, the normal keys just break when trying to open them. any
suggestions please? I am dreading the need to bleed them, I do not want
the disruption of having the radiators replaced1

Have you tried fractionally tightening them first?
--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2017 00:17, Roger Hayter wrote:
Broadback wrote:

They are steel radiators installed about 17 years ago. the bleed valves
are seized, the normal keys just break when trying to open them. any
suggestions please? I am dreading the need to bleed them, I do not want
the disruption of having the radiators replaced1

Have you tried fractionally tightening them first?

I've tried all the suggested ideas, except for applying heat as that
would damage the paint finish. I have ordered the suggested keys, though
I don't hold out much hope. I guess I will have to bite the bullet and
get the radiators replaced. A job I would have gladly done myself
yesteryear, but sadly time has caught up with me and I can no longer do
the things I used.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:

They are steel radiators installed about 17 years ago. the bleed valves
are seized, the normal keys just break when trying to open them. any
suggestions please? I am dreading the need to bleed them, I do not want
the disruption of having the radiators replaced1

Have you tried fractionally tightening them first?

I've tried all the suggested ideas, except for applying heat as that
would damage the paint finish. I have ordered the suggested keys, though
I don't hold out much hope. I guess I will have to bite the bullet and
get the radiators replaced. A job I would have gladly done myself
yesteryear, but sadly time has caught up with me and I can no longer do
the things I used.

Sounds like you're unfamiliar with the existence of ss self tapping screws & washers.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:

I have ordered the suggested keys, though
I don't hold out much hope.

B&Q sell the same type, it opened one of my seized ones, the other rad
was the type with the bleed valve on the back and I happened to have a
spare "normal" one, so replaced the whole rad.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:

They are steel radiators installed about 17 years ago. the bleed valves
are seized, the normal keys just break when trying to open them. any
suggestions please? I am dreading the need to bleed them, I do not want
the disruption of having the radiators replaced1

Have you tried fractionally tightening them first?

Percussive persuasion? Tap the end of the valve with a hammer, with a
suitable bit of metal between the hammer and the valve head.

If there is enough room insert a (modified) radiator key into the chuck
of a cordless hammer drill and use the hammer function to undo the
valve/screw.

If a 1/4 inch drive socket set is available one of the sockets may/will
fit tightly over the square and using the ratchet handle will give more
leverage. If the socket set has the 6 point star type sockets rather
the one with hex flats it is more likely to fit.

Freezer spray rather than heat to loosen although this may not do
anything as the radiator/bleed value is probably temperature cycled on a
daily basis this time of year.