Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Epic ship launch disasters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGRl6cPl_XE
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I remember some time ago when I could see watching one from before the wars
topple over and sink when it was launched. the nutters had not fitted the
heavy engines in the bottom so it obviiously was top heavy.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"harry" wrote in message
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGRl6cPl_XE

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28-Jan-17 8:56 AM, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGRl6cPl_XE

The second one looks like a self-righting test, although we don't stay
long enough to see whether or not the boat righted itself after being
inverted. Several of the others could be included in a 'how not to'
instruction video for crane operators.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 28 January 2017 09:22:49 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
I remember some time ago when I could see watching one from before the wars
topple over and sink when it was launched. the nutters had not fitted the
heavy engines in the bottom so it obviiously was top heavy.

Yup.
Several shots of exactly that.
Pity you can't view them, some are hilarious to watch.
Though not for the owners.
Most look to be in third world places.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2017 10:41, harry wrote:
On Saturday, 28 January 2017 09:22:49 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
I remember some time ago when I could see watching one from before the wars
topple over and sink when it was launched. the nutters had not fitted the
heavy engines in the bottom so it obviiously was top heavy.

Yup.
Several shots of exactly that.
Pity you can't view them, some are hilarious to watch.
Though not for the owners.
Most look to be in third world places.

Some of them were not disasters at all but successful tests.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2017 08:56, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGRl6cPl_XE

All right but not very shocking due to the lack of context and repetition.

Like "You've Been Framed": person falling over person falling over
person falling over teenager doing something that would look daft even
if he was doing it right.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...

On 28/01/2017 08:56, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGRl6cPl_XE

All right but not very shocking due to the lack of context and repetition.

Like "You've Been Framed": person falling over person falling over person
falling over teenager doing something that would look daft even if he was
doing it right.

Many years ago when we had a ship building industry I understand that a
large firm had problems with their plans being copied. They found that they
had a 'spy in the camp' but instead of exposing him, they modified a design
by changing plate thicknesses so the the centre of gravity was above the
centre of floatation rather than below where it should be for stability.
Sure enough the plans were stolen, a vessel built in far flung places, and
it turned turtle on launching

Maybe a bit of googling can find references?

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28-Jan-17 9:55 AM, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 09:37:58 +0000, Nightjar
wrote:

On 28-Jan-17 8:56 AM, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGRl6cPl_XE

The second one looks like a self-righting test, although we don't stay
long enough to see whether or not the boat righted itself after being
inverted. Several of the others could be included in a 'how not to'
instruction video for crane operators.

+1 A self-righting test. All RNLI lifeboats are put through such a
test AIUI. Several of the others were a bit hairy, but not what you'd
call disasters. The boats ended up in the water, afloat and upright,
perhaps with a little paint damage, wet crews and red-faced
operatives, but certainly not disasters, although a few clearly were.

I liked the sideways launch, where they omitted to check that the water
was high enough to reach the slipway.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28-Jan-17 9:22 AM, Brian Gaff wrote:
I remember some time ago when I could see watching one from before the wars
topple over and sink when it was launched. the nutters had not fitted the
heavy engines in the bottom so it obviiously was top heavy.

Launching a bare hull is normal practice, although somebody should have
calculated its stability before fitting out and added ballast, if required.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Jan 2017 08:53:42 +0000, Nightjar wrote:

On 28-Jan-17 9:55 AM, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jan 2017 09:37:58 +0000, Nightjar wrote:

On 28-Jan-17 8:56 AM, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGRl6cPl_XE

The second one looks like a self-righting test, although we don't stay
long enough to see whether or not the boat righted itself after being
inverted. Several of the others could be included in a 'how not to'
instruction video for crane operators.

+1 A self-righting test. All RNLI lifeboats are put through such a test
AIUI. Several of the others were a bit hairy, but not what you'd call
disasters. The boats ended up in the water, afloat and upright, perhaps
with a little paint damage, wet crews and red-faced operatives, but
certainly not disasters, although a few clearly were.

I liked the sideways launch, where they omitted to check that the water
was high enough to reach the slipway.

TL;DW.

However, I did see an episode of Mighty Ships recently. They were
launching a giant tug, and had calculated that when launched, the 'front'
end (I think it was actually the stern) would go deep enough off the
slipway that there was a problem with some bit of the keel hitting what
it shouldn't.

Solution: fit two enormous temporary flotation tanks, one each side at
that end.