Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OT] reversible USB cables.

For anyone interested CPC have some reversible USB2 cables and they work.

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/ps...-am/dp/CS29919

You can plug the ends in either way around and they still work.

I have not had them long enough to comment on reliability.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2017 12:34, dennis@home wrote:
For anyone interested CPC have some reversible USB2 cables and they work.

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/ps...-am/dp/CS29919

You can plug the ends in either way around and they still work.

I have not had them long enough to comment on reliability.

What annoys me about USB it was designed for comparability, however all
the manufacturers seem to have different shape/sized plugs. :-((
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
On 27/01/2017 12:34, dennis@home wrote:
For anyone interested CPC have some reversible USB2 cables and they work.

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/ps...-am/dp/CS29919

You can plug the ends in either way around and they still work.

I have not had them long enough to comment on reliability.

What annoys me about USB it was designed for comparability, however all
the manufacturers seem to have different shape/sized plugs. :-((

Really? Been mixing and matching cables for years with no problem.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Jan 2017 13:11:12 -0000 (UTC), Tim+
wrote:

Broadback wrote:
On 27/01/2017 12:34, dennis@home wrote:
For anyone interested CPC have some reversible USB2 cables and they work.

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/ps...-am/dp/CS29919

You can plug the ends in either way around and they still work.

I have not had them long enough to comment on reliability.

What annoys me about USB it was designed for comparability, however all
the manufacturers seem to have different shape/sized plugs. :-((

Really? Been mixing and matching cables for years with no problem.

Tim

Maybe he means micro, mini, type "B", etc.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Broadback wrote:
On 27/01/2017 12:34, dennis@home wrote:
For anyone interested CPC have some reversible USB2 cables and they work.

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/ps...-am/dp/CS29919

You can plug the ends in either way around and they still work.

I have not had them long enough to comment on reliability.

What annoys me about USB it was designed for comparability, however all
the manufacturers seem to have different shape/sized plugs. :-((

Really? Been mixing and matching cables for years with no problem.

Tim

You've been lucky then.

The "small USB" connectors often look similar, but are not always
interchangable. The main culprits being Mini USB and Micro USB.

Thankfully Mini USB is getting less common now, and Micro USB seems to
be the standard. Although I still see Mini USB on some things like
GoPro cameras.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

wrote:

Broadback wrote:
[...]

Yes, most phones/cameras use micro. My wife's dashcam (Transcend) uses mini,
but mine (SJCam "GoPro-like") uses micro. Need to remember to keep relevant
cable in car for powering.

Of course Apple is a law unto itself :-)

Their lightning connector is nice, since it's reversible, though I don't
like the contact pads being exposed as they'll get dirty and they don't have
a metal sheath to protect the PCB with copper pads from getting snapped off.

I believe that all USB connectors are designed so the majority of the wear
is on the plugs on the leads (leads being easy to replace) and there's much
less wear on the sockets on appliances.

The biggest problem with mini/micro USB is that the D connectors on
appliances are sometimes difficult to tell which is the longer side and
therefore which way round to insert the plug. These reversible plugs look
good, as long as they are as rugged and don't suffer from plugs waggling on
sockets and thus making intermittent contact.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/17 13:10, Broadback wrote:
On 27/01/2017 12:34, dennis@home wrote:
For anyone interested CPC have some reversible USB2 cables and they work.

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/ps...-am/dp/CS29919

You can plug the ends in either way around and they still work.

I have not had them long enough to comment on reliability.

What annoys me about USB it was designed for comparability, however all
the manufacturers seem to have different shape/sized plugs. :-((

It has compatibility...

It's compatible with

Type A sockets

or

Type B

or

Mini B

or

Micro B

or 1969 Gate, 1970 Left side door. Please leave outside flat 26 upstairs

Type C

Just not all at once!

Standards are great - there are so many...

Type A was a good idea - stood the test of time, robust and I've never
had one die.

Type B was a waste of time - trying to differentiate client from host.
Now no one cares...

It is a huge pity they could not have got from A to C directly.

C is nice. Reversible, small. However, for physical format I think that
Lightning was still better, because it did not need a "socket" type
design on the plug. Simpler and more material can be put into making the
little tab and contacts robust. And it's also reversible.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2017 13:49, Caecilius wrote:

The "small USB" connectors often look similar, but are not always
interchangable. The main culprits being Mini USB and Micro USB.

The worst case was on my, now rather old, Olympus C-2040Z camera which
had a proprietary USB connector of a similar size to mini USB. Since
they had the monopoly a replacement lead would cost you £50 if you were
rash enough to want one..

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Jan 2017 14:34:50 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

C is nice. Reversible, small. However, for physical format I think that
Lightning was still better, because it did not need a "socket" type
design on the plug. Simpler and more material can be put into making the
little tab and contacts robust. And it's also reversible.

I am reminded of IBM Type 1 Token Ring connectors!

http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/te...ring-connector

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2017 14:38, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jan 2017 14:34:50 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

C is nice. Reversible, small. However, for physical format I think that
Lightning was still better, because it did not need a "socket" type
design on the plug. Simpler and more material can be put into making the
little tab and contacts robust. And it's also reversible.

I am reminded of IBM Type 1 Token Ring connectors!

http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/te...ring-connector

Giving them names does not make them compatible. Also, as we are talking
of names what is the one that is basically square with the top 2 corners
rounded, this is what my Toshiba DD requires?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2017 14:36, Mike Clarke wrote:
On 27/01/2017 13:49, Caecilius wrote:

The "small USB" connectors often look similar, but are not always
interchangable. The main culprits being Mini USB and Micro USB.

The worst case was on my, now rather old, Olympus C-2040Z camera which
had a proprietary USB connector of a similar size to mini USB. Since
they had the monopoly a replacement lead would cost you £50 if you were
rash enough to want one..

They aren't usb though.
They are multiple use connectors and usb is just one of the uses.
They also tend to have video and other stuff on the connector.
You would struggle with the five pins in a micro usb plug.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2017 16:00, Broadback wrote:
On 27/01/2017 14:38, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jan 2017 14:34:50 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

C is nice. Reversible, small. However, for physical format I think that
Lightning was still better, because it did not need a "socket" type
design on the plug. Simpler and more material can be put into making the
little tab and contacts robust. And it's also reversible.

I am reminded of IBM Type 1 Token Ring connectors!

http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/te...ring-connector

Giving them names does not make them compatible. Also, as we are talking
of names what is the one that is basically square with the top 2 corners
rounded, this is what my Toshiba DD requires?

usb type b at a guess, most printers use that connector.
I think all the first USB devices were supposed to use that and all
computers type A.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:

C is nice. Reversible, small. However, for physical format I think that
Lightning was still better

Grudgingly, I'd agree, but too "closed"

I am reminded of IBM Type 1 Token Ring connectors!

Though USB type C is not hermaphroditic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, January 27, 2017 at 4:28:10 PM UTC, dennis@home wrote:
On 27/01/2017 16:00, Broadback wrote:
On 27/01/2017 14:38, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jan 2017 14:34:50 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

C is nice. Reversible, small. However, for physical format I think that
Lightning was still better, because it did not need a "socket" type
design on the plug. Simpler and more material can be put into making the
little tab and contacts robust. And it's also reversible.

I am reminded of IBM Type 1 Token Ring connectors!

http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/te...ring-connector

Giving them names does not make them compatible. Also, as we are talking
of names what is the one that is basically square with the top 2 corners
rounded, this is what my Toshiba DD requires?

usb type b at a guess, most printers use that connector.
I think all the first USB devices were supposed to use that and all
computers type A.

Does anyone know if connecting a micro USB from my Android phone to the micro USB on my TomTom, to copy route data files (.GPX), would work?

I ask as I was told connecting a USB PC to a laptop would fry one or both.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
dennis@home wrote:
Giving them names does not make them compatible. Also, as we are
talking of names what is the one that is basically square with the top
2 corners rounded, this is what my Toshiba DD requires?

usb type b at a guess, most printers use that connector.
I think all the first USB devices were supposed to use that and all
computers type A.

I can understand why you'd want a smaller connector on a phone or whatever
- but why on a printer?

--
*If a thing is worth doing, wouldn't it have been done already?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

simon mitchelmore wrote:

Does anyone know if connecting a micro USB from my Android phone to
the micro USB on my TomTom, to copy route data files (.GPX), would
work?

Perhaps, using an OTG cable, if one or other device (more likely with
the phone) supports host mode.

I ask as I was told connecting a USB PC to a laptop would fry one or
both.

It shouldn't be possible to buy the USB A to A cable that would be
required, but they do exist, it's not going to fry anything, but it's
not going to do anything useful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

I can understand why you'd want a smaller connector on a phone or
whatever - but why on a printer?

It's not different to be smaller, it's different to be unmistakably "the
other end"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article . com,
dennis@home wrote:
Giving them names does not make them compatible. Also, as we are
talking of names what is the one that is basically square with the top
2 corners rounded, this is what my Toshiba DD requires?

usb type b at a guess, most printers use that connector.
I think all the first USB devices were supposed to use that and all
computers type A.

I can understand why you'd want a smaller connector on a phone or whatever
- but why on a printer?

Is type B smaller? - it justs look a bit more robust.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2017 17:04, Andy Burns wrote:

It shouldn't be possible to buy the USB A to A cable that would be
required, but they do exist, it's not going to fry anything, but it's
not going to do anything useful.

I am using an A to A cable ATM.
One end connects to my docking station and the other to my weather station.

I also have a hdd enclosure that uses an A to A USB 3 cable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2017 16:25, dennis@home wrote:
On 27/01/2017 14:36, Mike Clarke wrote:
On 27/01/2017 13:49, Caecilius wrote:

The "small USB" connectors often look similar, but are not always
interchangable. The main culprits being Mini USB and Micro USB.

The worst case was on my, now rather old, Olympus C-2040Z camera which
had a proprietary USB connector of a similar size to mini USB. Since
they had the monopoly a replacement lead would cost you £50 if you were
rash enough to want one..

They aren't usb though.
They are multiple use connectors and usb is just one of the uses.
They also tend to have video and other stuff on the connector.
You would struggle with the five pins in a micro usb plug.

No, the socket on this camera is very much single purpose for the
transfer of photos to a computer. The connector at the camera end has 4
pins and the other end of the cable is bog standard USB.

--
Mike Clarke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Clarke wrote:
[...]

I think the point is, if the contacts at the camera end aren't standard
USB, then it ain't a "USB" cable. It's a data transfer cable with a USB pc
connector.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Broadback wrote:
[...]

I've got about equal numbers of each, micro on the logitech keyboards
and mice, mini on the neckband headsets and other stuff like that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Broadback wrote:
[...]

No, that's only the micro USB.

and there's much less wear on the sockets on appliances.

The biggest problem with mini/micro USB is that the D connectors on
appliances are sometimes difficult to tell which is the longer side and
therefore which way round to insert the plug. These reversible plugs look
good, as long as they are as rugged and don't suffer from plugs waggling
on sockets and thus making intermittent contact.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

I can understand why you'd want a smaller connector on a phone or
whatever - but why on a printer?

It's not different to be smaller, it's different to be unmistakably "the
other end"

But why?

--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Jan 2017 21:16:44 -0000 (UTC), Tim+
wrote:

Mike Clarke wrote:
[...]

I tend to agree with that, but only if there are active components in
the cable doing some conversion that gives the cable more or different
functionality. If it's just passive transfer to a proprietary plug
then it's more a case of taking the ****. (IMHO)

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

It's not different to be smaller, it's different to be unmistakably "the
other end"

But why?

Because (before OTG came along) USB devices were either host or device,
having a different connector for each means people wouldn't try to
connect two hosts together, or two devices together.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2017 08:06, Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

It's not different to be smaller, it's different to be unmistakably "the
other end"

But why?

Because (before OTG came along) USB devices were either host or device,
having a different connector for each means people wouldn't try to
connect two hosts together, or two devices together.

So what do OTG adapters do that's so special? Don't they just connect
the terminals together is a particular way?

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Max Demian wrote:

So what do OTG adapters do that's so special? Don't they just connect
the terminals together is a particular way?

They have a 5th pin used to sense if it's connected to a USB host, or a
USB device and can swap the master/slave roles, and also can deliver
power instead of accepting power.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

o.uk...
Dave Plowman wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

It's not different to be smaller, it's different to be unmistakably
"the
other end"

But why?

Because (before OTG came along) USB devices were either host or device,
having a different connector for each means people wouldn't try to
connect two hosts together, or two devices together.

So what do OTG adapters do that's so special?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go

Don't they just connect the terminals together is a particular way?

No.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2017 17:08, wrote:

o.uk...
Dave Plowman wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

It's not different to be smaller, it's different to be unmistakably
"the
other end"

But why?

Because (before OTG came along) USB devices were either host or device,
having a different connector for each means people wouldn't try to
connect two hosts together, or two devices together.

So what do OTG adapters do that's so special?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go

Don't they just connect the terminals together is a particular way?

No.

So an OTG adapter may or may not convert a mini/micro USB socket on a
tablet to a host? (It does on two tablets I've tried.) What about
PictBridge? What if I plugged a USB stick into the PictBridge socket on
my (ancient) printer? (Probably nothing.)

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-01-27, NY wrote:

Yes, most phones/cameras use micro. My wife's dashcam (Transcend) uses mini,
but mine (SJCam "GoPro-like") uses micro. Need to remember to keep relevant
cable in car for powering.

Of course Apple is a law unto itself :-)

Their lightning connector is nice, since it's reversible, though I don't
like the contact pads being exposed as they'll get dirty and they don't have
a metal sheath to protect the PCB with copper pads from getting snapped off.

I agree that reversibility is nice. I hadn't thought about the pads
getting snapped off, but it bugs me that the load end of a cable
attached to a charger has contacts in very close proximity to each
other with nothing to prevent them from shorting if they bump into a
coin (for example) on top of the dresser. Is that irrational?

Obligatory recycled joke: The inventor of the USB plug died. At his
funeral, they tried to lower the coffin but it wouldn't fit, so they
turned it 180°, & still wouldn't fit, so they turned it 180° again &
it went in.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 28/01/2017 17:08, wrote:

o.uk...
Dave Plowman wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

It's not different to be smaller, it's different to be unmistakably
"the
other end"

But why?

Because (before OTG came along) USB devices were either host or device,
having a different connector for each means people wouldn't try to
connect two hosts together, or two devices together.

So what do OTG adapters do that's so special?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go

Don't they just connect the terminals together is a particular way?

No.

So an OTG adapter may or may not convert a mini/micro USB socket on a
tablet to a host?

Yes, can be either mini or micro. Its essentially the protocol for
the negotiation of master/slave, not the physical connector.

(It does on two tablets I've tried.) What about PictBridge?

Its different again, but does use USB connectors.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PictBridge

What if I plugged a USB stick into the PictBridge socket on my (ancient)
printer? (Probably nothing.)

That would normally allow you to select what photos on it to print.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-01-27, NY wrote:

[...]

Yes, when an Apple charger is used, it handles that shorting fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2017 23:44, Rod Speed wrote:

Yes, when an Apple charger is used, it handles that shorting fine.

don't get it near anything like wire wool as it doesn't manage it just
fine AFAIK.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2017 00:23, Graham. wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jan 2017 21:16:44 -0000 (UTC), Tim+
wrote:

[snip]

I think the point is, if the contacts at the camera end aren't standard
USB, then it ain't a "USB" cable. It's a data transfer cable with a USB pc
connector.

Tim

I tend to agree with that, but only if there are active components in
the cable doing some conversion that gives the cable more or different
functionality. If it's just passive transfer to a proprietary plug
then it's more a case of taking the ****. (IMHO)

Exactly, the camera uses standard USB protocol to communicate with the
USB port on the computer. This could have been implemented with a mini
USB socket on the camera but the manufacturers decided to complicate the
issue with a completely non standard socket.

--
Mike Clarke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Broadback wrote:
On 27/01/2017 12:34, dennis@home wrote:
For anyone interested CPC have some reversible USB2 cables and they work.

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/ps...-am/dp/CS29919

You can plug the ends in either way around and they still work.

I have not had them long enough to comment on reliability.
What annoys me about USB it was designed for comparability, however all
the manufacturers seem to have different shape/sized plugs. :-((

Really? Been mixing and matching cables for years with no problem.

Tim

You've been lucky then.

The "small USB" connectors often look similar, but are not always
interchangable. The main culprits being Mini USB and Micro USB.

Thankfully Mini USB is getting less common now, and Micro USB seems to
be the standard. Although I still see Mini USB on some things like
GoPro cameras.

That is the mini type B which is fairly distinct.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2017 12:34, dennis@home wrote:
For anyone interested CPC have some reversible USB2 cables and they work.

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/ps...-am/dp/CS29919

You can plug the ends in either way around and they still work.

I have not had them long enough to comment on reliability.

That is the USB type C connector which is reversible. It is used on the
newish Nexus pixel tablet.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Old Codger wrote:

dennis wrote:

For anyone interested CPC have some reversible USB2 cables and they work.
http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/ps...-am/dp/CS29919

That is the USB type C connector which is reversible. It is used on the
newish Nexus pixel tablet.

No, It's not a USB-C connector, those don't have any "locking tangs" and
are slightly wider.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2017 21:46, Old Codger wrote:
On 27/01/2017 12:34, dennis@home wrote:
For anyone interested CPC have some reversible USB2 cables and they work.

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/ps...-am/dp/CS29919

You can plug the ends in either way around and they still work.

I have not had them long enough to comment on reliability.

That is the USB type C connector which is reversible. It is used on the
newish Nexus pixel tablet.

No it isn't, its a USB type A and a micro usb, both reversible.

You can plug one end into any old USB port on a computer and the other
into stuff like android phones from 5 years ago. Mine is used in my hudl
and Z3.