Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Vanguard subs (a bit OT)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38735202

Scroll down to the sub pics, it looks as though they have solar panels!

I guess they are sensor arrays of some sort, perhaps it is experimental kit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2017 22:18, newshound wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38735202

Scroll down to the sub pics, it looks as though they have solar panels!

I guess they are sensor arrays of some sort, perhaps it is experimental
kit.

They look like flat panels, they wouldn't fit flat panels as it makes a
directional reflector.
I guess they are there to hide something and they aren't there when they
are actually out for real.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1/24/2017 10:31 PM, dennis@home wrote:
On 24/01/2017 22:18, newshound wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38735202

Scroll down to the sub pics, it looks as though they have solar panels!

I guess they are sensor arrays of some sort, perhaps it is experimental
kit.

They look like flat panels, they wouldn't fit flat panels as it makes a
directional reflector.
I guess they are there to hide something and they aren't there when they
are actually out for real.

Nice theory, I like that explanation!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2017 22:18, newshound wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38735202

Scroll down to the sub pics, it looks as though they have solar panels!

I guess they are sensor arrays of some sort, perhaps it is experimental
kit.

They are sensors for the 2043 active/passive search sonar system, part
of its 2054 sonar suite
Posted to uk.d-i-y

They are to power the microwave ovens for the intercontinental ballistic
overcooked potatoes I'd imagine.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38735202

Scroll down to the sub pics, it looks as though they have solar panels!

I guess they are sensor arrays of some sort, perhaps it is experimental
kit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 22:18:17 +0000, newshound
wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38735202

Scroll down to the sub pics, it looks as though they have solar panels!

I guess they are sensor arrays of some sort, perhaps it is experimental kit.

Vanguard makes me think of the caboose at the back of a steam train.
Come to think of it, a nuclear sub is a steam engine.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38735202

Scroll down to the sub pics, it looks as though they have solar panels!

I guess they are sensor arrays of some sort, perhaps it is experimental kit.

Vanguard makes me think of the caboose at the back of a steam train.
Come to think of it, a nuclear sub is a steam engine.

The previous HMS Vanguard was nicknamed 'Guard's Van', as it was the last in its line.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2017 22:31, dennis@home wrote:
They look like flat panels, they wouldn't fit flat panels as it makes a
directional reflector.

Ever looked at a stealth fighter?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2017 23:18, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 24/01/2017 22:31, dennis@home wrote:
They look like flat panels, they wouldn't fit flat panels as it makes a
directional reflector.

Ever looked at a stealth fighter?

Yes, they were limited by the design process, ever look at a stealth bomber?

Much of the stealth fighter is stuff for absorbing radar rather than
avoiding reflections. Its all rather pointless anyway as you can detect
any plane passing through a radio network, a radio network like a mobile
phone network included.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
dennis@home wrote:
On 26/01/2017 23:18, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 24/01/2017 22:31, dennis@home wrote:
They look like flat panels, they wouldn't fit flat panels as it makes
a directional reflector.

Ever looked at a stealth fighter?

Yes, they were limited by the design process, ever look at a stealth
bomber?

Much of the stealth fighter is stuff for absorbing radar rather than
avoiding reflections. Its all rather pointless anyway as you can detect
any plane passing through a radio network, a radio network like a mobile
phone network included.

It will be too late by then .......

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 26/01/2017 23:18, Vir Campestris wrote:

Ever looked at a stealth fighter?

I might have looked at a good one and not seen it.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/17 17:26, charles wrote:
In article . com,
dennis@home wrote:
On 26/01/2017 23:18, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 24/01/2017 22:31, dennis@home wrote:
They look like flat panels, they wouldn't fit flat panels as it makes
a directional reflector.

Ever looked at a stealth fighter?

Yes, they were limited by the design process, ever look at a stealth
bomber?

Much of the stealth fighter is stuff for absorbing radar rather than
avoiding reflections. Its all rather pointless anyway as you can detect
any plane passing through a radio network, a radio network like a mobile
phone network included.

It will be too late by then .......

The point about hard angles is that in general they only bounce signals
back if they are coming from a single direction

Stealth fighters don't normally 'absorb' radar. They just reflect it in
unhelpful directions.

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2017 17:05, dennis@home wrote:
On 26/01/2017 23:18, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 24/01/2017 22:31, dennis@home wrote:
They look like flat panels, they wouldn't fit flat panels as it makes a
directional reflector.

Ever looked at a stealth fighter?

Yes, they were limited by the design process, ever look at a stealth
bomber?

Much of the stealth fighter is stuff for absorbing radar rather than
avoiding reflections. Its all rather pointless anyway as you can detect
any plane passing through a radio network, a radio network like a mobile
phone network included.

Yes. It wasn't that division of Rockwell I worked for, but I was still
interested.

The faceted design reflects radar in odd directions. Why would flat
plates on a sub reflect sonar straight back to the sender - except in
one specific direction?

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/01/2017 21:39, Vir Campestris wrote:
[...]

There are lots of boundary layers and thermal effects in the sea that
change the direction sound travels.
Add in the fact that they can use sonar buoys and stuff like that and
you really don't want to have big reflecting surfaces.
Remember that a flat surface will reflect stuff back when the source is
at 90 degrees to the surface and the world is 3d. You can't assume the
radar/sonar is always in front of you, you can't even assume the source
and the receiver are in the same place. A sub using active sonar is a
big target, a sub picking up echoes from sonar buoys is not a target at all.
If I were in the business of sub hunting I would use active buoys to
sweep and use a sonar receiver on the sub to put all the different
return echoes together to find the target. Just like phased array radar
could. Buoys are cheap and unmanned so the enemy would have to spend a
lot of time killing them and that would make them more prone to detection.

RMC Vanguard gonjah Home Repair 0 April 27th 12 02:43 AM
Model Woodworking - The best ! Planes- Ships-Subs-Iceboats:WWI todate L H Woodworking 0 October 21st 06 04:00 PM
RCA 257805 subs [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 September 15th 06 03:02 PM
looking for subs or source for la1464 .. used in a sanyo monitor Wish-Bringer (Chad Entringer) Electronics Repair 2 March 15th 06 05:55 PM
Subs for 2SB600/2SD555 [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 January 9th 05 01:14 PM