Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electricity in Bathrooms

On 23/01/2017 21:20, Scott wrote:
On Sun, 22 Jan 2017 23:01:35 +0000, Vir Campestris
wrote:

I've just been told by a bathroom company, somewhat to my surprise, that
current regs forbid washing machines in bathrooms.

I thought they were allowed assuming
- outside Zone 2
- No socket, wired in
- proper protection on the circuit.

Can someone confirm or deny this?

When I did this decades ago - and I think it may have changed - I was
told that the metal chassis of the washing machine required to be
separately earthed to the plumbing (as well as the electrical earth).
No socket was allowed. It was wired into a fused connection unit (13
amps).

It would not have needed separate earthing, but should it should have
had the earth of the circuit feeding the device included into the
supplementary equipotential bonding in the room.

That would limit the threat posed should the earth of the circuit in
question itself become the conductive path through which a dangerous
potential be introduced into your bath or shower room. (i.e. a fault
elsewhere on the circuit making its earth "live", and that in turn
making the casework of the WM live).

This is still the case where supplementary equipotential bonding is
used. Note however that the 17th edition regs permit supplementary
bonding to be omitted if certain criteria are met: That the main bonding
at CU is present, and that all the circuits that present in the room are
protected by an RCD with a trip threshold of no more than 30mA.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've just been told by a bathroom company, somewhat to my surprise, that
current regs forbid washing machines in bathrooms.

I thought they were allowed assuming
- outside Zone 2
- No socket, wired in
- proper protection on the circuit.

Can someone confirm or deny this?

When I did this decades ago - and I think it may have changed - I was
told that the metal chassis of the washing machine required to be
separately earthed to the plumbing (as well as the electrical earth).
No socket was allowed. It was wired into a fused connection unit (13
amps).

This was in the UK?

--
*Eschew obfuscation *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've just been told by a bathroom company, somewhat to my surprise, that
current regs forbid washing machines in bathrooms.

I thought they were allowed assuming
- outside Zone 2
- No socket, wired in
- proper protection on the circuit.

Can someone confirm or deny this?

When I did this decades ago - and I think it may have changed - I was
told that the metal chassis of the washing machine required to be
separately earthed to the plumbing (as well as the electrical earth).
No socket was allowed. It was wired into a fused connection unit (13
amps).

This was in the UK?

If you allow for the general confusion that many seem to have with
equipotential bonding, then the advice he received kind of makes sense.

People tend to over interpret the requirements, and often don't realise
that the earth connection in the appliance flex can also function as the
bonding conductor. Hence as long as the earth on the circuit is included
in the equipotential zone then anything fed from it is also by default
included.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 25 January 2017 13:47:45 UTC, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 24/01/17 19:53, ARW wrote:
On 23/01/2017 22:31, wrote:
On Monday, 23 January 2017 19:42:53 UTC, ARW wrote:
Lou "Adam, don't you ever again take your clothes off in my kitchen,
dump them on the floor and then walk naked past my me and parents[1]
saying "the washer need putting on I'm going for a bath""

Yeah, you should have put the washer on yourself.

I have no idea how to use it.

Mine has a dial with numbers on it, open door, throw in tablet and
clothes, turn dial to desired program, close door and then turn the
machine on. Job done.

Her machine has an electronic display that needs a load of programming.

I did have a go at using it once - the clothes were on the wrong wash at
the wrong time of the day with the wrong rinse setting.

+1 - more or less...

Around a year ago, and a few minutes after being left to babysit the
grandchildren, my grandson suddenly emptied the contents of his stomach
over my trousers. It took nearly 10 minutes of fuffing around with the
programmable washing machine and combined tumble drier to get it to
start, and wash and dry the mess. With a dial it would have taken a few
seconds. Progress, eh?...

you needed to start a wash cycle off for these 1 pair of trousers, I'd have used brush or cloth, with soap or something so sort that out.
I'd also be worried about sitting there in my undies looking after grandchildren you never know what people might be thinking if they saw you say through the window ...

--

Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/17 19:53, ARW wrote:
On 23/01/2017 22:31, wrote:
[...]

Vomit is disgusting. Most people don't want to wash that by hand!

--
Five out of four Americans have trouble with fractions.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vomit is disgusting. Most people don't want to wash that by hand!

That's the first non nob-ended comment you've contributed for a long time...

New pills?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Jan 2017 15:40:59 -0000, Tim Watts wrote:

Vomit is disgusting. Most people don't want to wash that by hand!

That's the first non nob-ended comment you've contributed for a long time...

New pills?

Nobendedness is subjective. Check your own equipment.

--
Sexy Sharon's sister saw saucy Sally swiftly suck seventy six soldiers sons.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 25 Jan 2017 15:45:29 -0000, Bod wrote:

On Wed, 25 Jan 2017 13:47:41 -0000, Jeff Layman
wrote:

On 24/01/17 19:53, ARW wrote:
On 23/01/2017 22:31, wrote:
[...]

I've always had machines with a simple dial. You can still get them.

Ours has no dials, just push buttons.

If a random stranger required to start a simple wash, what would be
required?

Nothing special, just a single start button that defaults to the wash most
want to do.

Mine has one dial, with temperatures written round it, the right half
saying cottons and the left half saying delicates. So I simply point that
to 40C cotton, then press start. There are two other buttons for "quick
wash" and "slow spin".

Better IMO to have a decent touch screen that can be labelled better with a
couple
or few of the common types of wash required, your cottons and delicates for
example,
and some modifiers like yours has that can be ignored unless you need that
modification.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bod wrote:
Around a year ago, and a few minutes after being left to babysit the
grandchildren, my grandson suddenly emptied the contents of his
stomach over my trousers. It took nearly 10 minutes of fuffing around
with the programmable washing machine and combined tumble drier to
get it to start, and wash and dry the mess. With a dial it would have
taken a few seconds. Progress, eh?...

I've always had machines with a simple dial. You can still get them.

Ours has no dials, just push buttons.

How many actually use the bewildering variety of programmes? Luckily, mine
switches on at the last used one, so all I have to do it press start.

--
*Reality is a crutch for people who can't handle drugs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-01-25, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Bod wrote:
Around a year ago, and a few minutes after being left to babysit the
grandchildren, my grandson suddenly emptied the contents of his
stomach over my trousers. It took nearly 10 minutes of fuffing around
with the programmable washing machine and combined tumble drier to
get it to start, and wash and dry the mess. With a dial it would have
taken a few seconds. Progress, eh?...

I've always had machines with a simple dial. You can still get them.

Ours has no dials, just push buttons.

How many actually use the bewildering variety of programmes?

No-one. The manufacturers include them because it's simple to do in
software (unlike electromechanical controllers) and means they can
compete in "feature one-upmanship" in rubbish like "Which".

Yes they do. You might be washing something that needs a slow spin or it gets stretched. Or you might want different temperatures depending how dirty the clothes are or how delicate they are. But this should be done in a simple manner. A dial for temperature and a dial for spin speed.

--
You have got to remember that women make babies - not a great bit of design work. Messy, noisy and cannot do anything useful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Bod wrote:
Around a year ago, and a few minutes after being left to babysit the
grandchildren, my grandson suddenly emptied the contents of his
stomach over my trousers. It took nearly 10 minutes of fuffing around
with the programmable washing machine and combined tumble drier to
get it to start, and wash and dry the mess. With a dial it would have
taken a few seconds. Progress, eh?...

I've always had machines with a simple dial. You can still get them.

Ours has no dials, just push buttons.

How many actually use the bewildering variety of programmes?

Nothing bewildering about mine. I mostly just use the one basic cold
water program, but do occasionally use something other than that.

Luckily, mine switches on at the last used
one, so all I have to do it press start.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/17 19:53, ARW wrote:
On 23/01/2017 22:31, wrote:
[...]

Fortunately (if that's the right word under the circumstances...) it was
at night so the curtains were closed! And as for cleaning by hand, yuk!
My grandson had eaten pizza and had drunk Ribena for his supper, so
"technicolor yawn" really did apply in this case! Anyway, while the
trousers were washing, I had to clean some very unpleasant material from
the inside of my slippers and then help my wife clean the settee and
carpet.

Maybe I should have considered a Hazmat suit for the next babysitting
episode. ;-)

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/17 19:53, ARW wrote:
On 23/01/2017 22:31, wrote:
[...]

I feel the same if my cat is sick on teh carpet, but I;ve yet to find out how to get my carpet into teh washing machine and there;s no special cycle to select for carpets anyway ! (from another thread)

My grandson had eaten pizza and had drunk Ribena for his supper, so
"technicolor yawn" really did apply in this case!

A turner prize or just plain old DIY ?

Anyway, while the
trousers were washing, I had to clean some very unpleasant material from
the inside of my slippers and then help my wife clean the settee and
carpet.

So yuo didn't suffer the yuk adn put these items in teh washing machine ?

Maybe I should have considered a Hazmat suit for the next babysitting
episode. ;-)

Nah say you haven't had a CRB check done, so while you;d love to baby sit
you wouldn't want them to get in trouble for lettign someone unchecked looking after young kids. You could start doing jimmy saville impressions too. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/17 19:53, ARW wrote:
On 23/01/2017 22:31, wrote:
[...]

When it dries it hoovers up. Also, yell at the cat when you hear it puking. Mine has now learnt to puke outside.

Anyway, while the
trousers were washing, I had to clean some very unpleasant material from
the inside of my slippers and then help my wife clean the settee and
carpet.

So yuo didn't suffer the yuk adn put these items in teh washing machine ?

I have never seen a washing machine which can handle a sofa. Mine will wash a sleeping bag, that's about it.

Maybe I should have considered a Hazmat suit for the next babysitting
episode. ;-)

Nah say you haven't had a CRB check done, so while you;d love to baby sit
you wouldn't want them to get in trouble for lettign someone unchecked looking after young kids. You could start doing jimmy saville impressions too. ;-)

It's high time society stopped treating kids with cotton wool.

--
If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?

Saving electricity. in Doorbell always uses electricity! willshak Home Repair 0 November 21st 08 04:10 PM
B+Q bathrooms - again. A.Lee UK diy 78 June 2nd 08 06:40 PM
Electricity power outlets in Bathrooms.. tony sayer UK diy 19 July 5th 07 05:58 PM
Third party electricity meter to verify electricity bills New Question Home Repair 6 November 24th 04 08:27 AM
bathrooms-where? George duff UK diy 3 May 7th 04 01:14 PM