Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plumbers challenge

Can anyone tell me the purpose of this bit of plumbing installed in a
kitchen cupboard of a National Trust cottage we rented?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2041%2019.jpeg

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Muddymike wrote:
Can anyone tell me the purpose of this bit of plumbing installed in a
kitchen cupboard of a National Trust cottage we rented?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2041%2019.jpeg

Mike

It's certainly very impressive.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:
Can anyone tell me the purpose of this bit of plumbing installed in a
kitchen cupboard of a National Trust cottage we rented?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2041%2019.jpeg

Measuring the amount of heat "consumed" within the cottage, might it be
connected to a communal system serving several properties, or where the
cottage piggy-backs onto a neighbouring property so it no longer has its
own boiler?

Is the black box a plate heat exchanger?

Looks like a blending valve in there too?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1/18/2017 2:46 PM, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Muddymike wrote:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49024805/File%2018-01-2017%2C%2014%2041%2019.jpeg

It makes the water go round and round until it gets dizzy.

DIY version of one of these?

https://www.alivewater.com/store/whole-house-models

(to pinch Tim's Russ Andrews post).

I guess the plumber was grateful for push-fit!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 14:46:41 +0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article ,
Muddymike wrote:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49024805/File%2018-01-2017%2C%2014%2041%2019.jpeg

It makes the water go round and round until it gets dizzy.

No, no, no:

It makes the water go round and round in order to heat it up

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/2017 15:10, Andy Burns wrote:
Muddymike wrote:
Can anyone tell me the purpose of this bit of plumbing installed in a
kitchen cupboard of a National Trust cottage we rented?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2041%2019.jpeg

Measuring the amount of heat "consumed" within the cottage, might it be
connected to a communal system serving several properties, or where the
cottage piggy-backs onto a neighbouring property so it no longer has its
own boiler?

Is the black box a plate heat exchanger?

Looks like a blending valve in there too?

National Trust have been fitting "communal" ground source heat pumps to
supply some of their cottages so could be part of that

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 18 January 2017 14:44:36 UTC, Muddymike wrote:
Can anyone tell me the purpose of this bit of plumbing installed in a
kitchen cupboard of a National Trust cottage we rented?

communal heating system and heat metering:

The ultego III smart is a compact heat meter for the accurate recording of energy consumption. The device comprises a flow sensor, two fixed connected temperature sensors and a calculator that calculates energy consumption using the volume and temperature difference.

http://www.ribaproductselector.com/h.../download.aspx

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Since I cannot see it and only going from the descriptions here I could
caption the photo.
Damn who nicked the cold fusion water heater it goes in the middle.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Judith" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 14:46:41 +0000, Tim Streater

wrote:

In article ,
Muddymike wrote:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49024805/File%2018-01-2017%2C%2014%2041%2019.jpeg

It makes the water go round and round until it gets dizzy.

No, no, no:

It makes the water go round and round in order to heat it up

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 18 January 2017 14:44:36 UTC, Muddymike wrote:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2041%2019.jpeg

What are the fittings that look like a combined gate/double drain valve? Never seen anything like that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 18 January 2017 17:11:01 UTC, wrote:
On Wednesday, 18 January 2017 14:44:36 UTC, Muddymike wrote:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2041%2019.jpeg

What are the fittings that look like a combined gate/double drain valve? Never seen anything like that.

Answering my own question, looks like a manual balancing valve

http://products.danfoss.co.uk/produc...lves/msv-bd/#/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 18 January 2017 14:44:36 UTC, Muddymike wrote:
Can anyone tell me the purpose of this bit of plumbing installed in a
kitchen cupboard of a National Trust cottage we rented?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2041%2019.jpeg

Mike

Possibly to do with dosing an off mains water supply with chlorine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 18 January 2017 18:17:29 UTC, harry wrote:
On Wednesday, 18 January 2017 14:44:36 UTC, Muddymike wrote:
Can anyone tell me the purpose of this bit of plumbing installed in a
kitchen cupboard of a National Trust cottage we rented?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2041%2019.jpeg

Mike

Possibly to do with dosing an off mains water supply with chlorine.

Is the water stored in a tanK?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Muddymike wrote:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2041%2019.jpeg

What are the fittings that look like a combined gate/double drain
valve? Never seen anything like that.

Balancing valves, apparently, I've not seen them before

http://www.imi-hydronic.com/en/products-solutions/balancing-and-control/balancing-valves/balancing-valves/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/2017 14:44, Muddymike wrote:
Can anyone tell me the purpose of this bit of plumbing installed in a
kitchen cupboard of a National Trust cottage we rented?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2041%2019.jpeg

Mike

Heat meter, used to charge for heating from a central source or to
monitor solar heating, etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 22:29:58 +0000, dennis@home
wrote:
On 18/01/2017 14:44, Muddymike wrote:

Can anyone tell me the purpose of this bit of plumbing installed

in a
kitchen cupboard of a National Trust cottage we rented?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...-2017%2C%2014%
2041%2019.jpeg

Heat meter, used to charge for heating from a central source or to
monitor solar heating, etc.

Waste heat from power stations you mean? I thought the idea of that
is that it's free, or at least unmetered. They'll be metering the air
we breathe next.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 18/01/2017 14:44, Muddymike wrote:

Can anyone tell me the purpose of this bit of plumbing installed

in a
kitchen cupboard of a National Trust cottage we rented?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...-2017%2C%2014%
2041%2019.jpeg

Heat meter, used to charge for heating from a central source or to
monitor solar heating, etc.

Waste heat from power stations you mean? I thought the idea of that
is that it's free, or at least unmetered.

a bit unrealistic surely

They'll be metering the air
we breathe next.

They do when you're on a ventilator or oxygen.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Muddymike wrote:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49024805/File%2018-01-2017%2C%2014%2041%2019.jpeg

It makes the water go round and round until it gets dizzy.

DIY version of one of these?

https://www.alivewater.com/store/whole-house-models

(to pinch Tim's Russ Andrews post).

I guess the plumber was grateful for push-fit!

Looks like crimped not push fit.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

newshound wrote:

Muddymike wrote:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49024805/File%2018-01-2017%2C%2014%2041%2019.jpeg

I guess the plumber was grateful for push-fit!

Looks like crimped not push fit.

Probably the expensive Rothenberger kit as in the
"Impressive toys for jobs" thread.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 21/01/2017 16:48, Andy Burns wrote:
ARW wrote:

newshound wrote:

Muddymike wrote:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49024805/File%2018-01-2017%2C%2014%2041%2019.jpeg

I guess the plumber was grateful for push-fit!

Looks like crimped not push fit.

Probably the expensive Rothenberger kit as in the
"Impressive toys for jobs" thread.

It does the job:-)

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/2017 14:44, Muddymike wrote:
Can anyone tell me the purpose of this bit of plumbing installed in a
kitchen cupboard of a National Trust cottage we rented?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2041%2019.jpeg

Mike

Would assume if it is in a property not fully occupied - it is a big
target for Pikies .. lot of non-ferrous scrap there

DIY Plumbers the_constructor[_2_] UK diy 20 June 12th 11 05:57 PM
One for the plumbers John UK diy 12 October 22nd 08 09:20 AM
one for the plumbers? Tim Lamb[_2_] UK diy 5 September 10th 08 11:35 PM
B*****y plumbers The Medway Handyman UK diy 65 September 27th 07 07:53 AM
One for the plumbers? Harry Bloomfield UK diy 14 February 20th 05 08:30 PM