Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default seized grinder nut

On 16/01/2017 18:48, Roger Mills wrote:
On 16/01/2017 16:22, Stuart Noble wrote:
On 16/01/2017 14:51, Tim+ wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
On 16/01/2017 14:13, Tim+ wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
On 16/01/2017 13:38, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 16 Jan 2017 13:24:58 +0000, GB
wrote:

On 16/01/2017 13:21, Stuart Noble wrote:
This is the outer nut on a brand new mini grinder i.e. there is
no disk
on the machine. I cannot shift the nut in the normal way (hammer,
spanner), and am wondering whether I might get better access to
the
shaft if I dismantle the thing. Advice appreciated

Which way does the thread run?

My immediate thought also. LH or RH thread?

Usual grinder direction, clockwise afaik

Have you looked at the thread? Have you locked the shaft? Are you
using the
appropriate tool?

snip stupid sig

Tim

yes yes and yes

In that case I think you need to post some pictures because I'm darned
if I
can work out why it won't undo.

Tim

It's a bog standard grinder design but, as usual it's difficult to
engage the lock and get any sort of pressure on the nut. It's obviously
been over tightened at the factory

Have you tried an impact driver on it?

I would be seriously worried about fractured gear teeth with using any
impact device, driver or wrench.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2017 14:51, Tim+ wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Having second thoughts about the Bosch SDS Clic. The standard nut is
reversible (I think) so that it either fits into the sunken centre of
the disc or flat against it. The web reviews suggest that there's a
right and a wrong way round to fit the Bosch. Maybe someone can verify
that?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2017 00:52, Fredxxx wrote:
On 16/01/2017 18:48, Roger Mills wrote:

Have you tried an impact driver on it?

I would be seriously worried about fractured gear teeth with using any
impact device, driver or wrench.

But I think the OP said that he'd managed to get a Mole wrench onto the
shaft - so that would take the reaction rather than the gears.

[Irrelevant now anyway, 'cos he's got it off by other means.]
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
On 21/01/2017 18:59, Roger Hayter wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:

Cut a chord through that nut, passing close to the shaft, and I'd guess that
it'll come off easily.

and indeed it did, with a hacksaw. Now I can either use a nut from the
old grinder or treat myself to the Bosch SDS Clic. Chuffed.

I suppose there was no clue in the post mortem as to why it didn't want
to come off?

None at all, but new nut ran smoothly on the shaft. Mystery

Ages ago, I bought a near new used car. The handbrake was pathetic, but
being an auto didn't much matter. Although I did mention it at service
time. The first MOT was done my the main dealer I'd bought the car from,
and who'd serviced it since.

The next MOT I arranged and it failed on the handbrake, so I decided to
investigate it myself. The handbrake was drum brakes inside the rear discs.

One adjuster was seized solid. Stripped the mechanism down and removed the
adjuster. Got it freed up in the vice - with some effort. There were no
signs of corrosion or whatever - it was spotless. Just tightened so hard
on the end stop it couldn't be moved in place.

On reassembly, discovered the cable on that side had been adjusted wrongly
in an attempt to get it working. Adjusting everything correctly resulted
in a handbrake which passed the MOT. And me never using that dealer again.

--
*Money isn‘t everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Releasing seized thread Frank[_16_] UK diy 5 June 18th 12 09:25 AM
Seized stopcock John E[_2_] UK diy 20 February 20th 08 12:47 PM
Seized window lock freecycle UK diy 2 November 15th 07 05:58 PM
OT remove seized plugs from car dave UK diy 9 July 20th 07 04:23 PM
Seized Bolt KinRsole UK diy 12 February 19th 07 05:46 PM