Posted to sci.electronics.design,uk.d-i-y

Default They *must* be joking!

They cannot possibly be serious, surely?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/scienc...s-dough-think-
Laurentian-University
Posted to sci.electronics.design,uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/17 13:56, Cursitor Doom wrote:

They cannot possibly be serious, surely?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/scienc...s-dough-think-
Laurentian-University

The "Daily Sexpress" is (currently) owned by Richard Desmond,
who also published titles like "Asian Babes" and "Readers Wives".

Other examples of his output include
A Royal Romp featured a character named €œKate Fiddleton€
(geddit?) engaging in hardcore sex with lookalikes of both
Princes William and Harry, as well as a blonde woman
purporting to be the latters ex-girlfriend Chelsy Davy,
in the presence of lookalikes of Prince Charles and the
Queen.
http://www.private-eye.co.uk/section...23&article=619

Rule of thumb: if you see something that you don't
/already/ know to be true in either the Daily Wail
or Daily Sexpress, assume it is false.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 14:25:44 +0000, Tom Gardner wrote:

Rule of thumb: if you see something that you don't /already/ know to be
true in either the Daily Wail or Daily Sexpress, assume it is false.

I agree that the Mail has gone right down the crapper over the years, but
the Express has done very well indeed of late. They were about the only
MSM source to call both Brexit and Trump wins correctly in advance and
their online comment writers are among the most switched-on and aware and
certainly *way* more enlightened than the Mail/Mirror/Sun/Star axis.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/17 16:50, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 14:25:44 +0000, Tom Gardner wrote:

Rule of thumb: if you see something that you don't /already/ know to be
true in either the Daily Wail or Daily Sexpress, assume it is false.

I agree that the Mail has gone right down the crapper over the years, but
the Express has done very well indeed of late. They were about the only
MSM source to call both Brexit and Trump wins correctly in advance and
their online comment writers are among the most switched-on and aware and
certainly *way* more enlightened than the Mail/Mirror/Sun/Star axis.

Here is another news item worthy of the Express - "Stopped clock gets
the time right /twice/ per day!".

And saying they have writers that are better than those of the
Mail/Mirror/Sun/Star, is hardly praise. Once they can beat the quality
of writing and jokes that we know from the Beano, you might have a point.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 17:06:28 +0100, David Brown wrote:

And saying they have writers that are better than those of the
Mail/Mirror/Sun/Star, is hardly praise. Once they can beat the quality
of writing and jokes that we know from the Beano, you might have a
point.

The Mail's army of commenters are chiefly professional women in their 30s
& 40s who drink far too much wine and can't get a shag. That's why
they're always in such a vile mood.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/17 17:13, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Tom Gardner
wrote:

A classic Wail story specifically designed to extract money
from their "worried well" target demographic: bemoan that
there's a "dangerous" chemical in food/cosmetics; carefully
neglect to mention that the EU banned it 5 years earlier.

If the EU banned it how come it's still, five years later, still in the
food/cosmetics?

Who said it was! That kind of detail wouldn't bother the
Wail; don't forget the purpose of newspaper journalists
is /only/ to sell newspapers.

Besides, it might have been present as a result of criminal
activity; I really can't recall now.

If you want to find more, I'd start at the entertaining
and informed http://www.badscience.net Ben Goldacre is
always worth reading.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2017 16:21, Tom Gardner wrote:

BTW, in the Wail there are only two chemicals known to its
readers: cancercausing and notcancercausing.

Don't they alternate too?

Posted to sci.electronics.design,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Cursitor Doom
wrote:

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 14:25:44 +0000, Tom Gardner wrote:

Rule of thumb: if you see something that you don't /already/ know to
be true in either the Daily Wail or Daily Sexpress, assume it is
false.

I agree that the Mail has gone right down the crapper over the years,
but the Express has done very well indeed of late. They were about the
only MSM source to call both Brexit and Trump wins correctly in
advance and their online comment writers are among the most
switched-on and aware and certainly *way* more enlightened than the
Mail/Mirror/Sun/Star axis.

Oh dear now you've done it. Expect Our Dave to pontificate snootily over
his nose. Praise for the Express? Oh dear me no, that's completely
beyond the Pale my dear. He will probably include a flounce, too, for
dramatic effect.

Absolutely no surprise you just love both the Express. You have
to have got your crazy ideas somewhere.
Some of us make up our own minds.

--
*I wish the buck stopped here. I could use a few.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 19:08:00 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Absolutely no surprise you just love both the Express. You have to have
got your crazy ideas somewhere.
Some of us make up our own minds.

Yeah, from what you read in the Morning Star.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 17:51:44 +0000, Clive George wrote:

On 11/01/2017 16:21, Tom Gardner wrote:

BTW, in the Wail there are only two chemicals known to its readers:
cancercausing and notcancercausing.

Don't they alternate too?

Just remembered who the troll Gardner is so have plonked him again. Time
wasting trolls I can do without.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2017 14:25, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 11/01/17 13:56, Cursitor Doom wrote:

They cannot possibly be serious, surely?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/scienc...s-dough-think-
Laurentian-University

The "Daily Sexpress" is (currently) owned by Richard Desmond,
who also published titles like "Asian Babes" and "Readers Wives".

Other examples of his output include
A Royal Romp featured a character named €œKate Fiddleton€
(geddit?) engaging in hardcore sex with lookalikes of both
Princes William and Harry, as well as a blonde woman
purporting to be the latters ex-girlfriend Chelsy Davy,
in the presence of lookalikes of Prince Charles and the
Queen.
http://www.private-eye.co.uk/section...23&article=619

Rule of thumb: if you see something that you don't
/already/ know to be true in either the Daily Wail
or Daily Sexpress, assume it is false.

I'd much rather be seen reading Asian Babes in public than the Express.

In fact, there is no mainstream media source in the UK that does not
print or broadcast bull****.

As a Scot, I find the propaganda broadcast by the BBC (about "North
Britain") to be particularly amusing. There are obviously many
individuals there who have taken to heart the writings of Goebbels.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/17 22:33, JM wrote:
[...]

Hmmm. Tricky decision!

In fact, there is no mainstream media source in the UK that does not print or
broadcast bull****.

Ditto people on this newsgroup, unfortunately.

But some media make their income from spreading FUD,
whereas others try their fallible best to get things right.

Ditto people on this newsgroup, fortunately.

As a Scot, I find the propaganda broadcast by the BBC (about "North Britain") to
be particularly amusing.

Where "north" is outside the M25 and possibly the M60.

There are obviously many individuals there who have
taken to heart the writings of Goebbels.

Oh come on, it would be an extraordinary feat to be
more right wing than, say Desmond, and the Wail
was - and is - infamous for supporting Hitler.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
I agree that the Mail has gone right down the crapper over the years,
but the Express has done very well indeed of late. They were about the
only MSM source to call both Brexit and Trump wins correctly in
advance and their online comment writers are among the most
switched-on and aware and certainly *way* more enlightened than the
Mail/Mirror/Sun/Star axis.

Oh dear now you've done it. Expect Our Dave to pontificate snootily over
his nose. Praise for the Express? Oh dear me no, that's completely
beyond the Pale my dear. He will probably include a flounce, too, for
dramatic effect.

Absolutely no surprise you just love both the Express. You have
to have got your crazy ideas somewhere.
Some of us make up our own minds.

And some of us don't need to be told more than once that we don't read
the Express.

Even worse, then. You praise it without even reading it. No wonder you
voted leave. Did you flip a coin?

Keep on nodding off Dave, just don't do a flounce when you
wake up - you'll do your back in, so they tell me.

Keep trying, Tim. Glad to have found a word that winds you up so much.
Was it your personal property?

--
*To steal ideas from *one* person is plagiarism; from many, research*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well lots of reasons why this might work but none of them have anything to
do with inteligence except the lack of it by the reporters.

Opto electronic effects.
Incidentally if you crosspost this is not allowed in my server so I have
to decide which group to use.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message
news

They cannot possibly be serious, surely?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/scienc...s-dough-think-
Laurentian-University

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 11 January 2017 16:06:31 UTC, David Brown wrote:
On 11/01/17 16:50, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 14:25:44 +0000, Tom Gardner wrote:

Rule of thumb: if you see something that you don't /already/ know to be
true in either the Daily Wail or Daily Sexpress, assume it is false.

I agree that the Mail has gone right down the crapper over the years, but
the Express has done very well indeed of late. They were about the only
MSM source to call both Brexit and Trump wins correctly in advance and
their online comment writers are among the most switched-on and aware and
certainly *way* more enlightened than the Mail/Mirror/Sun/Star axis.

Here is another news item worthy of the Express - "Stopped clock gets
the time right /twice/ per day!".

I heard it as a question a few days ago, can;t remmebr the details
but it was which is best a stopped clock that gets the time right once a day or a working clock that only gets to be right twice a year ?
(or something like that)

The answer was a clock that is right only twice a year.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 12 January 2017 10:30:51 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 11 January 2017 16:06:31 UTC, David Brown wrote:
On 11/01/17 16:50, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 14:25:44 +0000, Tom Gardner wrote:

Rule of thumb: if you see something that you don't /already/ know to be
true in either the Daily Wail or Daily Sexpress, assume it is false.

I agree that the Mail has gone right down the crapper over the years, but
the Express has done very well indeed of late. They were about the only
MSM source to call both Brexit and Trump wins correctly in advance and
their online comment writers are among the most switched-on and aware and
certainly *way* more enlightened than the Mail/Mirror/Sun/Star axis.

Here is another news item worthy of the Express - "Stopped clock gets
the time right /twice/ per day!".

I heard it as a question a few days ago, can;t remmebr the details
but it was which is best a stopped clock that gets the time right TWICE a day or a working clock that only gets to be right twice a year ?
(or something like that)

The answer was a clock that is right only twice a year.

I put once by mistake see above.
I think this was on QI.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
Keep trying, Tim. Glad to have found a word that winds you up so much.
Was it your personal property?

I find your ongoing sulk to be highly amusing.

Sulk? Another word you don't understand? No wonder you were taken in by
the likes of Farage.

Collins GEM English Dictionary
sulk v. be silent and sullen because of resentment or bad temper. ˜n.
resentful or sullen mood. ˜sulky adj. ˜sulkily adv. ˜sulkiness n.

--
*I wish the buck stopped here. I could use a few.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 12 January 2017 14:57:45 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Sulk? Another word you don't understand? No wonder you were taken in by
the likes of Farage.

Collins GEM English Dictionary
sulk v. be silent and sullen because of resentment or bad temper. 蕨.
resentful or sullen mood. �ulky adj. �ulkily adv. �ulkiness n.

Named in an unusual moment of honesty:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=casalini+sulky
I'd be sulky if I had to use one of those!

NT
Posted to sci.electronics.design,uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 11/01/2017 16:19, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 17:06:28 +0100, David Brown wrote:

And saying they have writers that are better than those of the
Mail/Mirror/Sun/Star, is hardly praise. Once they can beat the quality
of writing and jokes that we know from the Beano, you might have a
point.

The Mail's army of commenters are chiefly professional women in their 30s
& 40s who drink far too much wine and can't get a shag. That's why
they're always in such a vile mood.

They still in a vile mood after a good shag. Especially if you wipe your
knob on the curtains.

--
Adam