Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Chimney Pot Identification

'evening

This photo shows two chimneys on the same wall.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/mmwxn1omd...x1lWLgna?raw=1

The chimney on the left links internally to a regular fireplace.

The chimney on the right has no (apparent) link inside the house.

Both are on the wall of the same room.

i.e. it looks like the chimney on the right has been blocked off internally.

It looks like they were both built at the same time.

So what would the chimney on the right be for? The pot is a different
type would that be a clue?

A neighbour thought that the room may have been a kitchen sometime in
the past. Is that a clue too?

i.e. maybe some kind of ventilation flue.

And advice gratefully received.

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

WeeBob wrote:
'evening

This photo shows two chimneys on the same wall.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/mmwxn1omd...x1lWLgna?raw=1

The chimney on the left links internally to a regular fireplace.

The chimney on the right has no (apparent) link inside the house.

Both are on the wall of the same room.

i.e. it looks like the chimney on the right has been blocked off internally.

It looks like they were both built at the same time.

So what would the chimney on the right be for? The pot is a different
type would that be a clue?

A neighbour thought that the room may have been a kitchen sometime in
the past. Is that a clue too?

i.e. maybe some kind of ventilation flue.

And advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Probably an old boiler/Aga flue. Modern boilers nearly all exit
horizontally through a coaxial flue. Inspection requirements make reuse of
an existing vertical flue unfavourable.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 4 January 2017 19:09:15 UTC, WeeBob wrote:
This photo shows two chimneys on the same wall.
The chimney on the left links internally to a regular fireplace.
The chimney on the right has no (apparent) link inside the house.

How old is the building?

Kitchen range and a separate copper for hot water?

I would have guessed the left one might have been for a copper in a lean-to wash-house, originally, rather than venting from the house. A copper in the kitchen would usually have shared the kitchen range chimney.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 20:42:35 -0000, "Phil L"
wrote:

I would have guessed the left one might have been for a copper in a
lean-to wash-house, originally, rather than venting from the house. A
copper in the kitchen would usually have shared the kitchen range
chimney.

A copper? - a copper what?

Wash copper
Large Bowl heated by its own fire for doing laundry ,
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...b76a0a15de.jpg

That you did not know what a copper is when associated with a kitchen
just goes to show how terms come and go as things become obsolete.
There will probably be a few people alive who may have lived in a
house with one, I'm in my 60's and can remember them being talked
about enough by parents and grandparents that the term Copper in the
context of how it was written was obvious. Younger people won't be.
We used one salvaged from somewhere as a cattle trough for years.
G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 4 January 2017 19:09:15 UTC, WeeBob wrote:
'evening

This photo shows two chimneys on the same wall.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/mmwxn1omd...x1lWLgna?raw=1

The chimney on the left links internally to a regular fireplace.

The chimney on the right has no (apparent) link inside the house.

Both are on the wall of the same room.

i.e. it looks like the chimney on the right has been blocked off internally.

It looks like they were both built at the same time.

So what would the chimney on the right be for? The pot is a different
type would that be a clue?

A neighbour thought that the room may have been a kitchen sometime in
the past. Is that a clue too?

i.e. maybe some kind of ventilation flue.

And advice gratefully received.

Thanks

In days of yore, (pre 1960s) virtually every room had it's own fireplace.
I removed four surplus fireplaces and chimneys from my present house.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Tim+ Wrote in message:
WeeBob wrote:
'evening

This photo shows two chimneys on the same wall.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/mmwxn1omd...x1lWLgna?raw=1

The chimney on the left links internally to a regular fireplace.

The chimney on the right has no (apparent) link inside the house.

Both are on the wall of the same room.

i.e. it looks like the chimney on the right has been blocked off internally.

It looks like they were both built at the same time.

So what would the chimney on the right be for? The pot is a different
type would that be a clue?

A neighbour thought that the room may have been a kitchen sometime in
the past. Is that a clue too?

i.e. maybe some kind of ventilation flue.

And advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Probably an old boiler/Aga flue.

+1
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
WeeBob writes:
'evening

This photo shows two chimneys on the same wall.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/mmwxn1omd...x1lWLgna?raw=1

The chimney on the left links internally to a regular fireplace.

The chimney on the right has no (apparent) link inside the house.

Both are on the wall of the same room.

i.e. it looks like the chimney on the right has been blocked off internally.

It looks like they were both built at the same time.

So what would the chimney on the right be for? The pot is a different
type would that be a clue?

A neighbour thought that the room may have been a kitchen sometime in
the past. Is that a clue too?

i.e. maybe some kind of ventilation flue.

And advice gratefully received.

The cowel on the right hand chimney is typical of the type fitted to
a Geyser (old open-flued instant gas water heater). These were usually
fitted in the kitchen or bathroom. They're now illegal in bathrooms,
(and I think in anywhere in a rented property) due to too many carbon
monoxide deaths in the bath.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 5 Jan 2017 10:18:09 -0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
WeeBob writes:
[...]

I've got one of those cowels (the one on the right) fitted on top of a
pot on top of a high chimney stack on my 1900 semi, looks bloody awful
but a long way up from the ground to do anything about it. There's a
flue liner from there down to the kitchen and the old cast iron lump
Potterton CH boiler (with no fan, just relied on heat to vent the
exhaust). Probably not the safest setup!
All disconnected now, new CH boiler and balanced flue through side
wall of house, but that cowel still irriates me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Without a copper we wouldn't have had enough hot water to fill the
galvanised iron bathtub for our weekly scrub-up in front of the
living room fire on a Sunday morning.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-01-04 19:09, WeeBob wrote:
'evening

This photo shows two chimneys on the same wall.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/mmwxn1omd...x1lWLgna?raw=1

The chimney on the left links internally to a regular fireplace.

The chimney on the right has no (apparent) link inside the house.

Both are on the wall of the same room.

i.e. it looks like the chimney on the right has been blocked off
internally.

It looks like they were both built at the same time.

So what would the chimney on the right be for? The pot is a different
type would that be a clue?

A neighbour thought that the room may have been a kitchen sometime in
the past. Is that a clue too?

i.e. maybe some kind of ventilation flue.

And advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Thanks for all the ideas.

Weebob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 5 January 2017 12:59:32 UTC, AnthonyL wrote:
Without a copper we wouldn't have had enough hot water to fill the
galvanised iron bathtub for our weekly scrub-up in front of the
living room fire on a Sunday morning.

Heathen.

Should have been Saturday night bath so clean for church (and no work done on the Sabbath)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I'm in my fifties and never heard of it, maybe it's a regional thing.
Up here we had tin baths...although I doubt very much they were actually
made from tin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I would have guessed the left one might have been for a copper in a
lean-to wash-house, originally, rather than venting from the house.
A copper in the kitchen would usually have shared the kitchen range
chimney.

A copper? - a copper what?

Wash copper Large Bowl heated by its own fire for doing laundry ,
https://s-media-cache-

ak0.pinimg.com/236x/64/1d/44/641d4426f06e18d5a2d51fb76a0a15de.jpg

That you did not know what a copper is when associated with a kitchen
just goes to show how terms come and go as things become obsolete.
There will probably be a few people alive who may have lived in a house
with one, I'm in my 60's and can remember them being talked about
enough by parents and grandparents that the term Copper in the context
of how it was written was obvious. Younger people won't be.
We used one salvaged from somewhere as a cattle trough for years.
G.Harman

I'm in my fifties and never heard of it, maybe it's a regional thing. Up
here we had tin baths...although I doubt very much they were actually
made from tin

I'm in my sixties and I have heard of coppers. Never seen one, I don't
think.

My mum used a Baby Burco, though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes

wrote:

[...]

Not been following but there are 3 flues forming our kitchen range
chimney. One for the bedroom above, one for the range itself and one
connecting through the side of the brickwork about 6' above floor level:
presumably for *the copper*.

The previous farm tenants had taken in washing as part of their income
along with the sale of Rabbits. My father took over the tenancy in 1938
and the laundry had been moved to an outbuilding. The *copper* was
subsequently used for cooking Beetroot. A job for us kids on Friday
night.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
That you did not know what a copper is when associated with a kitchen
just goes to show how terms come and go as things become obsolete.
There will probably be a few people alive who may have lived in a house
with one, I'm in my 60's and can remember them being talked about
enough by parents and grandparents that the term Copper in the context
of how it was written was obvious. Younger people won't be.
We used one salvaged from somewhere as a cattle trough for years.
G.Harman

I'm in my fifties and never heard of it, maybe it's a regional thing. Up
here we had tin baths...although I doubt very much they were actually
made from tin

I'm in my sixties and I have heard of coppers. Never seen one, I don't
think.

I'm 70, we had a copper in a cottage in Suffolk that we bought in 1953
(my family bought it that is). I think the previous occupants had
been using it, we didn't and regarded as rather a 'quaint feature'.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 6 January 2017 09:31:22 UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:
The previous farm tenants had taken in washing as part of their income
along with the sale of Rabbits. My father took over the tenancy in 1938
and the laundry had been moved to an outbuilding. The *copper* was
subsequently used for cooking Beetroot. A job for us kids on Friday
night.

Boiling beetroots was how Alan Sugar started, and he didn't do too badly.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

i just remember one when I was an infant in the v early 1950s. I think
it was galvanised (steel) though. I can't remember what we actually
called it. Though 'copper' and mangle were rapidly replaced by a
top-loading washing machine and a spin-dryer, probably before I was
four.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 05 Jan 2017 16:23:33 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

(AnthonyL) wrote in

Without a copper we wouldn't have had enough hot water to fill the
galvanised iron bathtub for our weekly scrub-up in front of the
living room fire on a Sunday morning.

Shared water of course!.

Well they could only fit two of us kids in at a time - don't remember
when the parents got theirs, afterwards I hope.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
Tim Lamb wrote

The previous farm tenants had taken in washing as part of their income
along with the sale of Rabbits. My father took over the tenancy in 1938
and the laundry had been moved to an outbuilding. The *copper* was
subsequently used for cooking Beetroot. A job for us kids on Friday
night.

Boiling beetroots was how Alan Sugar started, and he didn't do too badly.

Hardly anyone who boiled beetroots ended up doing as well as he did.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

And for puddings to sing in. (Charles Dickins).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In the corner of our scullery there was a brick built, coal
fired copper - I think the term 'copper' came from the
copper bottom on the water container.

However, I don't recall it ever being used because I always
remember it with a gas fired 'copper' standing in front of
it.

I wonder if that might have been an immediate post-war
acquisition, though. (I was born in 1944.)

--

Terry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Jan 2017 09:38:24 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

(AnthonyL) wrote in news:586febe8.48902875
:

On Thu, 05 Jan 2017 16:23:33 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

(AnthonyL) wrote in

Without a copper we wouldn't have had enough hot water to fill the
galvanised iron bathtub for our weekly scrub-up in front of the
living room fire on a Sunday morning.

Shared water of course!.

Well they could only fit two of us kids in at a time - don't remember
when the parents got theirs, afterwards I hope.

Makes you wonder about personal hygiene - especially when you also
recall hard shiny toilet paper!

Daily Herald or Reveille, none of that slippy Izal stuff.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/2017 22:02, Phil L wrote:
I'm in my fifties and never heard of it, maybe it's a regional thing.
Up here we had tin baths...although I doubt very much they were actually
made from tin

I'm a similar age, and have only ever heard of them in a historical context.

Andy