Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OT] Xmas artificial snow from the 40s

Saw this on a BBC how we used to do Xmas over the decades programme
(probably still on iPlayer, forget the title).

1940s house. Historian says to the actor-family: "Here's a packet of
fake snow to make things more festive..."

Me to son: "He he - it's probably made of asbestos..." (joking).

Turned out it was:

http://www.shieldenvironmental.co.uk...14/12/Snow.jpg

(picture of artificial Xmas snow, clearly marked "Asbestos".

Christ, they were mad in the 40s! Not just asbestos, but in fluff
format, designed to be chucked about and rolled in by children!

At least it was white asbestos... I then found out Kent cigarettes were
famous for their "micronite" filters, made of BLUE asbestos...

Different times...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 3 January 2017 17:33:24 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
Saw this on a BBC how we used to do Xmas over the decades programme
(probably still on iPlayer, forget the title).

1940s house. Historian says to the actor-family: "Here's a packet of
fake snow to make things more festive..."

Me to son: "He he - it's probably made of asbestos..." (joking).

Turned out it was:

http://www.shieldenvironmental.co.uk...14/12/Snow.jpg

(picture of artificial Xmas snow, clearly marked "Asbestos".

Christ, they were mad in the 40s! Not just asbestos, but in fluff
format, designed to be chucked about and rolled in by children!

At least it was white asbestos... I then found out Kent cigarettes were
famous for their "micronite" filters, made of BLUE asbestos...

Different times...

They weren't mad, they didn't know. Same as today.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 3 January 2017 17:38:30 UTC, wrote:
They weren't mad, they didn't know. Same as today.

Greek geographer Strabo noted a "sickness of the lungs" in slaves who wove asbestos into cloth. Pliny the Elder wrote of the "disease of slaves," and actually described the use of a thin membrane from the bladder of a goat or lamb used by the slave miners as an early respirator in an attempt to protect them from inhaling the harmful asbestos fibers as they labored.

As early as 1897, an Austrian doctor attributed pulmonary troubles in one of his patients to the inhalation of asbestos dust.

In 1906, the first documented death of an asbestos worker from pulmonary failure was recorded by Dr. Montague Murray at Londons Charring Cross Hospital.

1931. The Asbestos Industry Regulations receive Royal Assent and come into force on the 1st March 1932. This is the first recognised substantial piece of legislation to be passed which is dedicated to the control of Asbestos concentrating on the use of Asbestos within factories.

But you can still buy it in the USA:

Asbestos is still not banned in the United States. A 1989 ruling issued by the Environmental Protection Agency banning most asbestos-containing products was overturned by the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans in 1991 under pressure from the asbestos industry.

all from
https://www.asbestos.com/asbestos/history/ or
http://www.slatergordon.co.uk/person...n-of-asbestos/

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
Saw this on a BBC how we used to do Xmas over the decades programme
(probably still on iPlayer, forget the title).

1940s house. Historian says to the actor-family: "Here's a packet of
fake snow to make things more festive..."

Me to son: "He he - it's probably made of asbestos..." (joking).

Turned out it was:

http://www.shieldenvironmental.co.uk...14/12/Snow.jpg

(picture of artificial Xmas snow, clearly marked "Asbestos".

Christ, they were mad in the 40s! Not just asbestos, but in fluff
format, designed to be chucked about and rolled in by children!

At least it was white asbestos... I then found out Kent cigarettes were
famous for their "micronite" filters, made of BLUE asbestos...

Different times...

I had a friend who died recently from asbestos related lung cancer.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 3 January 2017 17:33:24 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
Saw this on a BBC how we used to do Xmas over the decades programme
(probably still on iPlayer, forget the title).

1940s house. Historian says to the actor-family: "Here's a packet of
fake snow to make things more festive..."

Me to son: "He he - it's probably made of asbestos..." (joking).

Turned out it was:

http://www.shieldenvironmental.co.uk...14/12/Snow.jpg

(picture of artificial Xmas snow, clearly marked "Asbestos".

Christ, they were mad in the 40s! Not just asbestos, but in fluff
format, designed to be chucked about and rolled in by children!

At least it was white asbestos... I then found out Kent cigarettes were
famous for their "micronite" filters, made of BLUE asbestos...

Different times...

Some gas masks were made out of asbestos.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_ma..._old_gas_masks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Tuesday, 3 January 2017 17:33:24 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
Saw this on a BBC how we used to do Xmas over the decades programme
(probably still on iPlayer, forget the title).

1940s house. Historian says to the actor-family: "Here's a packet of
fake snow to make things more festive..."

Me to son: "He he - it's probably made of asbestos..." (joking).

Turned out it was:

http://www.shieldenvironmental.co.uk...14/12/Snow.jpg

(picture of artificial Xmas snow, clearly marked "Asbestos".

Christ, they were mad in the 40s! Not just asbestos, but in fluff
format, designed to be chucked about and rolled in by children!

At least it was white asbestos... I then found out Kent cigarettes were
famous for their "micronite" filters, made of BLUE asbestos...

Different times...

They weren't mad, they didn't know.

The problem with asbestos was well known in the 40s.

Same as today.

Wrong, as always.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
writes:
On Tuesday, 3 January 2017 17:33:24 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
Saw this on a BBC how we used to do Xmas over the decades programme
(probably still on iPlayer, forget the title).

1940s house. Historian says to the actor-family: "Here's a packet of
fake snow to make things more festive..."

Me to son: "He he - it's probably made of asbestos..." (joking).

Turned out it was:

http://www.shieldenvironmental.co.uk...14/12/Snow.jpg

(picture of artificial Xmas snow, clearly marked "Asbestos".

Christ, they were mad in the 40s! Not just asbestos, but in fluff
format, designed to be chucked about and rolled in by children!

At least it was white asbestos... I then found out Kent cigarettes were
famous for their "micronite" filters, made of BLUE asbestos...

Different times...

They weren't mad, they didn't know. Same as today.

My mum was a factory inspector in 1950's.
At that point, it was known by people like factory inspectors,
but not accepted by all factory owners/managers.

She told me about one case she had to investigate - a young
(teenage I think) girl who got asbestosis. She had never been
in a factory, but her father worked in a factory handling asbestos,
and came home in his factory clothes each evening, which were
visibly covered in the dust. She almost certainly got it from that.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/01/17 18:02, charles wrote:

I had a friend who died recently from asbestos related lung cancer.

Horrible

There is actually a warning on a council's website (forget which one,
might have been Derby) about not using old decorations found in lofts
due to the fact that apparently asbestos was used with general abandon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 3 January 2017 17:33:24 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
Saw this on a BBC how we used to do Xmas over the decades programme
(probably still on iPlayer, forget the title).

1940s house. Historian says to the actor-family: "Here's a packet of
fake snow to make things more festive..."

Me to son: "He he - it's probably made of asbestos..." (joking).

Turned out it was:

http://www.shieldenvironmental.co.uk...14/12/Snow.jpg

(picture of artificial Xmas snow, clearly marked "Asbestos".

Christ, they were mad in the 40s! Not just asbestos, but in fluff
format, designed to be chucked about and rolled in by children!

I thought the majority of what was on the floor was mostly made of cornflakes painted white to get the crispyness in films when walking through the 'snow' in hollywood anyway.

At least it was white asbestos... I then found out Kent cigarettes were
famous for their "micronite" filters, made of BLUE asbestos...

Different times...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/17 11:46, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 3 January 2017 17:33:24 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
Saw this on a BBC how we used to do Xmas over the decades programme
(probably still on iPlayer, forget the title).

1940s house. Historian says to the actor-family: "Here's a packet of
fake snow to make things more festive..."

Me to son: "He he - it's probably made of asbestos..." (joking).

Turned out it was:

http://www.shieldenvironmental.co.uk...14/12/Snow.jpg

(picture of artificial Xmas snow, clearly marked "Asbestos".

Christ, they were mad in the 40s! Not just asbestos, but in fluff
format, designed to be chucked about and rolled in by children!

I thought the majority of what was on the floor was mostly made of cornflakes painted white to get the crispyness in films when walking through the 'snow' in hollywood anyway.

In studios maybe - but the above was probably on sale in Woolworths for
household use!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
harry writes

Some gas masks were made out of asbestos.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_ma..._old_gas_masks

Oh joy. I regularly wore my Grandfather's WWII gas mask, as a child.

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 4 January 2017 12:16:18 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
(picture of artificial Xmas snow, clearly marked "Asbestos".

the above was probably on sale in Woolworths for
household use!

Quite fortunate it was fireproof, if you were also using lots of fairy lights on a stalactite of adapters.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Jan 2017 07:37:32 -0800, spuorgelgoog wrote:

On Wednesday, 4 January 2017 12:16:18 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
(picture of artificial Xmas snow, clearly marked "Asbestos".

the above was probably on sale in Woolworths for household use!

Quite fortunate it was fireproof, if you were also using lots of fairy
lights on a stalactite of adapters.

More likely to be a stalagmite. Although that has just conjured up a
vision of a whole stack of those Y-shaped BC adaptors (and BC plugs)
descending from a light fitting...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 4 January 2017 15:55:55 UTC, Bob Eager wrote:
Quite fortunate it was fireproof, if you were also using lots of fairy
lights on a stalactite of adapters.

More likely to be a stalagmite. Although that has just conjured up a
vision of a whole stack of those Y-shaped BC adaptors (and BC plugs)
descending from a light fitting...

That's what I was thinking of.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

When I was 14, our geography teacher was telling us about a
country - I've no idea what or where - in which Gastric
Ulcers was a major cause of death amongst workers in the
asbestos mining industry.

I don't remember a thing about the rest of the lesson - I
just sat there stunned.

I knew that when my father died when I was 3? that he died
of gastric ulcers.

His death certificate listed his employment as: Labourer
(Asbestos Factory). I'd never known of the connection
before.

Apart from any asbestos fibres that might have clung to his
clothes, we had a white edging to our garden path which, I
later found, was simply rows of bricks covered with asbestos
cement!

When some of this later got broken I noticed that the
underside was all furry ...

However, I've reached 72 without any problems that might be
attributed to asbestos so I must have been very lucky.

--

Terry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 4 January 2017 21:15:49 UTC, Terry Casey wrote:
[...]

Asbestos won't cause ulcers.
The cause of ulcers is bacteria, (Only recently discovered)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peptic_ulcer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Marshall

Asbestos causes a very special sort of lung cancer (Mesothelioma).
Having this sort of cancer is what all these asbestos compensation claims are based on.