Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Heating system cover

I've just cancelled my heating system cover from Corgi Homeplan as they
have increased the premium by 21% and removed replacement boiler cover
as the boiler is now over 10 years old.

Now I know we are supposed to do everything ourselves but since my
boiler passed 8 years of age I have enjoyed the reassurance of an
insurance cover.

Any recommendations for a company to use in place of Corgi?

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 3 January 2017 16:17:29 UTC, Muddymike wrote:

I've just cancelled my heating system cover from Corgi Homeplan as they
have increased the premium by 21% and removed replacement boiler cover
as the boiler is now over 10 years old.

Now I know we are supposed to do everything ourselves but since my
boiler passed 8 years of age I have enjoyed the reassurance of an
insurance cover.

Any recommendations for a company to use in place of Corgi?

Mike

These schemes border on being scams. Keep your money, spend it on the new boiler when the time comes. You're worse off with insurance.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Muddymike writes:
I've just cancelled my heating system cover from Corgi Homeplan as they
have increased the premium by 21% and removed replacement boiler cover
as the boiler is now over 10 years old.

Now I know we are supposed to do everything ourselves but since my
boiler passed 8 years of age I have enjoyed the reassurance of an
insurance cover.

Any recommendations for a company to use in place of Corgi?

For what?
Insurance?
Service/maintenance?

What model boiler? People might comment on likely longevity/reliability.

Also, how critical is it to you? Could you manage for a few days without
it if it broke, or do you need an instant repair?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 3 January 2017 19:03:49 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

I did insure the brand new car for the first year, because
the insurance was only $100 quite literally and we have
a lot of legal and illegal pickers in this area who would be
very hard to get the money out of if they wrote off the car
because they can't drive properly. That premium hiked
dramatically year by year and when it got to $300 in the
third year, told them to shove it where the sun dont shine.

Is car insurance optional in Oz?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I did insure the brand new car for the first year, because
the insurance was only $100 quite literally and we have
a lot of legal and illegal pickers in this area who would be
very hard to get the money out of if they wrote off the car
because they can't drive properly. That premium hiked
dramatically year by year and when it got to $300 in the
third year, told them to shove it where the sun dont shine.

Is car insurance optional in Oz?

That's the option car insurance, what we call comprehensive,
and the yanks call collision insurance.

What we call third party is compulsory, but
doesnt cover any damage to the cars involved.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 3 January 2017 20:33:23 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
tabbypurr wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I did insure the brand new car for the first year, because
the insurance was only $100 quite literally and we have
a lot of legal and illegal pickers in this area who would be
very hard to get the money out of if they wrote off the car
because they can't drive properly. That premium hiked
dramatically year by year and when it got to $300 in the
third year, told them to shove it where the sun dont shine.

Is car insurance optional in Oz?

That's the option car insurance, what we call comprehensive,
and the yanks call collision insurance.

What we call third party is compulsory, but
doesnt cover any damage to the cars involved.

Ah, same here in theory. In practice insurers aren't much interested in anything other than comprehensive.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/01/2017 17:41, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Muddymike writes:
I've just cancelled my heating system cover from Corgi Homeplan as they
have increased the premium by 21% and removed replacement boiler cover
as the boiler is now over 10 years old.

Now I know we are supposed to do everything ourselves but since my
boiler passed 8 years of age I have enjoyed the reassurance of an
insurance cover.

Any recommendations for a company to use in place of Corgi?

For what?
Insurance?
Service/maintenance?

What model boiler? People might comment on likely longevity/reliability.

Also, how critical is it to you? Could you manage for a few days without
it if it broke, or do you need an instant repair?

Its a 11 year old Ideal Mexico HE30. The system also heats and provides
hot water for our holiday let apartment so with me working away from
home for up to 2 week spells STWNFI likes the reassurance of maintenance
cover.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Muddymike wrote:
I've just cancelled my heating system cover from Corgi Homeplan as they
have increased the premium by 21% and removed replacement boiler cover
as the boiler is now over 10 years old.

Now I know we are supposed to do everything ourselves but since my
boiler passed 8 years of age I have enjoyed the reassurance of an
insurance cover.

Any recommendations for a company to use in place of Corgi?

I'd guess it will cost a lot to insure an old boiler?

--
*Wood burns faster when you have to cut and chop it yourself.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Ah, same here in theory. In practice insurers aren't much interested in
anything other than comprehensive.

Usually with a pretty large excess. So in practice is more like TPF&T.

--
*Gargling is a good way to see if your throat leaks.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 10:08:26 +0000, Muddymike wrote:

Also, how critical is it to you? Could you manage for a few days
without it if it broke, or do you need an instant repair?

Its a 11 year old Ideal Mexico HE30. The system also heats and
provides hot water for our holiday let apartment so with me
working away from home for up to 2 week spells STWNFI likes the
reassurance of maintenance cover.

Getting a plumber out in Dec. was nearly impossible here in Cumbria,
nearly all contacts said 'come back in mid-Jan' so if that's a
problem you need something like the British Gas system where at
least you get a plumber in the next day, even working Sundays.

Which? did a survey of these maintenance contracts reported in the
Nov. 2016 issue (check public libraries for a copy). Yes, they make
little sense in financial terms, but try saying that to someone
freezing in mid-winter who has trouble getting a service engineer
out. The OP's Gorgi contract didn't compare well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 4 January 2017 11:40:44 UTC, mechanic wrote:
[...]

That's what secondary heating is for, eg a gas wall fire or plug-in electric. Insurance doesn't provide anything extra over calling a gas man out, unless you value having your wallet raided. IME again and again life has been better uninsured. These insurance policies just don't do the things one otherwise would, like get parts for old boilers. It's a mug's game.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
mechanic wrote:
Which? did a survey of these maintenance contracts reported in the
Nov. 2016 issue (check public libraries for a copy). Yes, they make
little sense in financial terms, but try saying that to someone
freezing in mid-winter who has trouble getting a service engineer
out. The OP's Gorgi contract didn't compare well.

You are going to guarantee a BG service contract will get someone out
quickly who will fix it there and then? Not my brother's experience - and
on more than one occasion. He cancelled his and now relies on a local
plumber. To be able to fix every fault on the spot they'd need to carry
every possible spare in their van. And they don't.

But sensible people have an alternate way of heating and providing hot
water anyway. You can buy a couple of fan heaters for a lot less than a
year's service contract.

--
*I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Ah, same here in theory. In practice insurers aren't much interested in
anything other than comprehensive.

Usually with a pretty large excess. So in practice is more like TPF&T.

I've never had a problem getting TPF&T - insurers seem happy to sell it
to me for less than comp cover. Maybe if I drove shinier cars it might
not be the obvious choice. The excess means it's actually more like TP
though - but TP always ends up more expensive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Jan 2017 21:12:38 +0000, Clive George wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
Ah, same here in theory. In practice insurers aren't much interested
in anything other than comprehensive.

Usually with a pretty large excess. So in practice is more like TPF&T.

I've never had a problem getting TPF&T - insurers seem happy to sell it
to me for less than comp cover. Maybe if I drove shinier cars it might
not be the obvious choice. The excess means it's actually more like TP
though - but TP always ends up more expensive.

SWMBO has just been getting quotes for a second car of hers.

Fully comp. was about 3% more than TPF&T.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Ah, same here in theory. In practice insurers aren't much interested
in anything other than comprehensive.

Usually with a pretty large excess. So in practice is more like TPF&T.

I've never had a problem getting TPF&T - insurers seem happy to sell it
to me for less than comp cover. Maybe if I drove shinier cars it might
not be the obvious choice. The excess means it's actually more like TP
though - but TP always ends up more expensive.

SWMBO has just been getting quotes for a second car of hers.

Fully comp. was about 3% more than TPF&T.

Try insuring both cars at some place that does multicar insurance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
SWMBO has just been getting quotes for a second car of hers.

Fully comp. was about 3% more than TPF&T.

Now check the price of fully comp with a moderate excess.

--
*Two wrongs are only the beginning *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2017 13:19, wrote:
[...]

That may be true in some analysis, but there is a place for them in the
right circumstances.

In the OPs case it sounds like one of the primary requirements is a
simple call out procedure for when he is not there, and peace of mind
for SWMBO that one call is all it takes and someone will turn up next
day without having to do all the donkey work attempting to get a
suitable repairer in at critical times. The cost trade off is likely
secondary.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 05 Jan 2017 11:16:58 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
SWMBO has just been getting quotes for a second car of hers.

Fully comp. was about 3% more than TPF&T.

Now check the price of fully comp with a moderate excess.

It was a moderate excess - £100 I think.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm writes:
On 04/01/2017 13:19, wrote:
[...]

Another option if you have an old boiler would be to get a new boiler
installed, but retain the old one in the circuit as a backup. It's
not complete redundancy (you could get a fault, such as a burst
pipe, which took the whole system out), but you could have isolation
valves fitted so that such a fault in either boiler could be isolated.
I also fitted isolating valves to the key branches in my heating
system, so I can isolate part of the pipework if it breaks, and keep
the rest running.

In larger premises and those where the heating/hot water is
essential, use of multiple boilers to provide at least some redundancy
is not uncommon. Note that you do need to use them all periodically
to know they are all working, otherwise you risk having one fail, and
finding a backup which hasn't been used for ages also no longer works.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager news000neweager.cx wrote:
SWMBO has just been getting quotes for a second car of hers.

Fully comp. was about 3% more than TPF&T.

Now check the price of fully comp with a moderate excess.

It was a moderate excess - £100 I think.

Total? Both voluntary and compulsory? If only 3% more than TPF&T, a
bargain. As most insurance claims are for damage to your own vehicle. And
even one pretty simple repair - like say for a scratched bumper - can cost
more than a year's premium.

-

--
*CAN VEGETARIANS EAT ANIMAL CRACKERS?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 5 January 2017 14:10:37 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 05 Jan 2017 11:16:58 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Bob Eager news000neweager.cx wrote:

SWMBO has just been getting quotes for a second car of hers.

Fully comp. was about 3% more than TPF&T.

Now check the price of fully comp with a moderate excess.

It was a moderate excess - £100 I think.

Total? Both voluntary and compulsory? If only 3% more than TPF&T, a
bargain.

it means the TPFT price was inflated to try to sell the comp cover.

As most insurance claims are for damage to your own vehicle. And
even one pretty simple repair - like say for a scratched bumper - can cost
more than a year's premium.

.... if its paid for by insurance, yes.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Total? Both voluntary and compulsory? If only 3% more than TPF&T, a
bargain.

it means the TPFT price was inflated to try to sell the comp cover.

As most insurance claims are for damage to your own vehicle. And even
one pretty simple repair - like say for a scratched bumper - can cost
more than a year's premium.

... if its paid for by insurance, yes.

Not much point in having comprehensive cover if you're going to pay for
repairs yourself?

Although many these days have such a high excess, this is what happens in
practice.

--
*PMS jokes aren't funny; period.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 5 January 2017 15:02:51 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:

Total? Both voluntary and compulsory? If only 3% more than TPF&T, a
bargain.

it means the TPFT price was inflated to try to sell the comp cover.

As most insurance claims are for damage to your own vehicle. And even
one pretty simple repair - like say for a scratched bumper - can cost
more than a year's premium.

... if its paid for by insurance, yes.

Not much point in having comprehensive cover if you're going to pay for
repairs yourself?

Not much point having comprehensive cover full stop. It's odd how many don't understand how insurance works.

And yes, plenty of things are cheaper to sort yourself than make a claim for. DAMHIKT.

Although many these days have such a high excess, this is what happens in
practice.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 05 Jan 2017 14:04:24 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 05 Jan 2017 11:16:58 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Bob Eager news000neweager.cx wrote:
SWMBO has just been getting quotes for a second car of hers.

Fully comp. was about 3% more than TPF&T.

Now check the price of fully comp with a moderate excess.

It was a moderate excess - £100 I think.

Total? Both voluntary and compulsory? If only 3% more than TPF&T, a
bargain. As most insurance claims are for damage to your own vehicle.
And even one pretty simple repair - like say for a scratched bumper -
can cost more than a year's premium.

I was quite surprised. It's an old vehicle though (2003) so not worth
much. I guess an expensive repair would result in a write-off.

I use the same company. I ordered a new car for delivery 7 December 2015.
Two weeks earlier I did something silly and ended up with an £1800 repair
bill on the previous car. They got it fixed within 10 days, which was
good.

I transferred the insurance to the new car (similar model) with no chnage
in premium. Renewal a month later - still no increase in premium, and NCD
protected.

This year's renewal is about a 0.8% increase.