Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Earth loop Impedence

I've got a Martindale EZ150 (updated) socket tester - I've just been
using it to check a couple of sockets. For the earth loop test the
manual says:

Refer to the IEE Wiring Regulations, 16th Edition or later, to
determine if the indicated earth loop impedance of the wiring under
test meets the necessary requirements.

The tester is returning 0-1.7 Ohms. Is this within regs?

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2017 11:18, RJH wrote:
I've got a Martindale EZ150 (updated) socket tester - I've just been
using it to check a couple of sockets. For the earth loop test the
manual says:

Refer to the IEE Wiring Regulations, 16th Edition or later, to
determine if the indicated earth loop impedance of the wiring under
test meets the necessary requirements.

The tester is returning 0-1.7 Ohms. Is this within regs?

It would help to know what circuit breaker protects the circuit - see
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Calculating_A_Cable_Size#Checking_the_Maximum_Eart h_Loop_Impedance

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

RJH Wrote in message:
I've got a Martindale EZ150 (updated) socket tester - I've just been
using it to check a couple of sockets. For the earth loop test the
manual says:

Refer to the IEE Wiring Regulations, 16th Edition or later, to
determine if the indicated earth loop impedance of the wiring under
test meets the necessary requirements.

The tester is returning 0-1.7 Ohms. Is this within regs?

Can the tester show a better result? How manyworse results can it
show?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2017 11:18, RJH wrote:
I've got a Martindale EZ150 (updated) socket tester - I've just been
using it to check a couple of sockets. For the earth loop test the
manual says:

Refer to the IEE Wiring Regulations, 16th Edition or later, to
determine if the indicated earth loop impedance of the wiring under
test meets the necessary requirements.

The tester is returning 0-1.7 Ohms. Is this within regs?

I take it this is just a basic go / no go style tester?

In which case telling you that the ELI is under 1.7 ohms will give you
confidence that the earth is connected to the socket, and is in all
likelihood "ok".

It can't really go much further than that without giving you an exact
reading. Given an exact reading, then you could interpret it further
with knowledge of the circuit and its protection, to work out if the
result is good enough.

To interpret it further you would need to know the protective device on
the circuit, and also how far you are from the furthest point on the
circuit away from the supply. So for a ring circuit with a B32 MCB on
the head end, you would need an ELI of no more than 1.37 ohms at the
furthest socket from the CU (as the cable runs - rather than actual
linear distance)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2017 17:35, John Rumm wrote:
On 02/01/2017 11:18, RJH wrote:
I've got a Martindale EZ150 (updated) socket tester - I've just been
using it to check a couple of sockets. For the earth loop test the
manual says:

Refer to the IEE Wiring Regulations, 16th Edition or later, to
determine if the indicated earth loop impedance of the wiring under
test meets the necessary requirements.

The tester is returning 0-1.7 Ohms. Is this within regs?

I take it this is just a basic go / no go style tester?

Yep:

http://martindale-electric.co.uk/mar...tor-p-285.html

In which case telling you that the ELI is under 1.7 ohms will give you
confidence that the earth is connected to the socket, and is in all
likelihood "ok".

It can't really go much further than that without giving you an exact
reading. Given an exact reading, then you could interpret it further
with knowledge of the circuit and its protection, to work out if the
result is good enough.

Ah, OK, thanks. Of pretty limited use, then!

To interpret it further you would need to know the protective device on
the circuit, and also how far you are from the furthest point on the
circuit away from the supply. So for a ring circuit with a B32 MCB on
the head end, you would need an ELI of no more than 1.37 ohms at the
furthest socket from the CU (as the cable runs - rather than actual
linear distance)

It gives the same 0-1.7 range reading at each socket - maybe 25m cable
run to the most remote. Sockets are protected by 32A MCBs and an
80A/30mA RCD.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2017 11:18, RJH wrote:
[...]

Its worth having IMHO... basic testers will tell you a socket is
earthed, but will not spot situations where that earth is actually very
poor and functionally useless. Seeing something that also give a feel
for what the value is (even if in broad categories) give better confidence.

To interpret it further you would need to know the protective device on
the circuit, and also how far you are from the furthest point on the
circuit away from the supply. So for a ring circuit with a B32 MCB on
the head end, you would need an ELI of no more than 1.37 ohms at the
furthest socket from the CU (as the cable runs - rather than actual
linear distance)

It gives the same 0-1.7 range reading at each socket - maybe 25m cable
run to the most remote. Sockets are protected by 32A MCBs and an
80A/30mA RCD.

Yup, you would expect less than 1.7 ohms on any socket on that circuit
(assuming its not a TT earthed installation). In fact any indication
other than the lowest would be cause enough to investigate further.

--
Cheers,

John.

Determining PC speaker impedence Andrew[_22_] UK diy 16 June 29th 14 03:25 PM
earth loop testers ac1951[_2_] UK diy 2 April 7th 08 12:18 AM
Earth loop impedance problem cynic UK diy 2 March 13th 07 10:15 AM
Audio amp earth loop? Gareth Magennis Electronics Repair 5 November 3rd 04 10:57 AM
External earth loop impedance John Southern UK diy 2 March 25th 04 07:49 PM