Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Double/single box for brick/plaster wall

Is there such a things?

I.e. I'm looking for something like this:-

http://www.screwfix.com/p/appleby-du...ning-box/60079

but for fitting into a plaster on brick/breezeblock wall.

.... or is the technique simply to fit two metal boxes close next to
each other?

Either way with metal boxes the difficulty will be to finish properly
between the two.

Would it be permissable to fit a dry-lining box (like the one above)
in a plaster/brick wall? It would need a bit of bodging to fix it but
would finish properly between the two accessories.

I haven't got enough space really to leave enough gap to avoid
disintegration of the plaster between the two boxes.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
Is there such a things?

I.e. I'm looking for something like this:-

http://www.screwfix.com/p/appleby-du...ning-box/60079

but for fitting into a plaster on brick/breezeblock wall.

... or is the technique simply to fit two metal boxes close next to
each other?

Either way with metal boxes the difficulty will be to finish properly
between the two.

Would it be permissable to fit a dry-lining box (like the one above)
in a plaster/brick wall? It would need a bit of bodging to fix it but
would finish properly between the two accessories.

I haven't got enough space really to leave enough gap to avoid
disintegration of the plaster between the two boxes.

assuming you use socket plates with straight edges, you shouldn't see the
gap between the two units, so just cut a big hole. Measure carefully when
you install the boxes. You could always fill the gap between the two with
something from a mastic gun afterwards if it bothers you.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:

... or is the technique simply to fit two metal boxes close next to
each other?

Either way with metal boxes the difficulty will be to finish properly
between the two.

Take two metal back boxes, screw on the faceplates, line them up,
measure the gap between and cut a spacer of wood to that size. Blank
faceplates would work well here as you could lay them on their front.

Otherwise, IMO, there's no reason you couldn't use a plastic one or
they'd not be legal for use in plasterboard.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/12/2016 10:06, Chris Green wrote:
Is there such a things?

Yes. No doubt others but this is what I've used

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AP540.html

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 26/12/2016 10:24, Robin wrote:
On 26/12/2016 10:06, Chris Green wrote:
Is there such a things?

Yes. No doubt others but this is what I've used

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AP540.html

That's a new one to me.

Cheers.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 26 December 2016 10:16:04 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
Is there such a things?

I.e. I'm looking for something like this:-

http://www.screwfix.com/p/appleby-du...ning-box/60079

but for fitting into a plaster on brick/breezeblock wall.

... or is the technique simply to fit two metal boxes close next to
each other?

Either way with metal boxes the difficulty will be to finish properly
between the two.

why?

Would it be permissable to fit a dry-lining box (like the one above)
in a plaster/brick wall? It would need a bit of bodging to fix it but
would finish properly between the two accessories.

I haven't got enough space really to leave enough gap to avoid
disintegration of the plaster between the two boxes.

Add PVA, reinforce it with metal or plastic mesh - or just cover it with gapless faceplates.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/12/2016 10:06, Chris Green wrote:
Is there such a things?

I.e. I'm looking for something like this:-

http://www.screwfix.com/p/appleby-du...ning-box/60079

but for fitting into a plaster on brick/breezeblock wall.

There are such things, but not that commonly used IME.

... or is the technique simply to fit two metal boxes close next to
each other?

That works.

Either way with metal boxes the difficulty will be to finish properly
between the two.

Why so? You have plenty of depth in the gap, so its easy to pack with
plaster or filler and have it stay put.

Would it be permissable to fit a dry-lining box (like the one above)
in a plaster/brick wall? It would need a bit of bodging to fix it but
would finish properly between the two accessories.

I haven't got enough space really to leave enough gap to avoid
disintegration of the plaster between the two boxes.

Can't see why it would disintegrate. You will need a 1cm gap or so to
allow for the overlap of the face plates.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:
On 26/12/2016 10:06, Chris Green wrote:
Is there such a things?

Yes. No doubt others but this is what I've used

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AP540.html

Aha, thanks! I'd looked at Screwfix etc. but didn't think to try TLC.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
Is there such a things?

I.e. I'm looking for something like this:-

http://www.screwfix.com/p/appleby-du...ning-box/60079

but for fitting into a plaster on brick/breezeblock wall.

... or is the technique simply to fit two metal boxes close next to
each other?

Either way with metal boxes the difficulty will be to finish properly
between the two.

Would it be permissable to fit a dry-lining box (like the one above)
in a plaster/brick wall? It would need a bit of bodging to fix it but
would finish properly between the two accessories.

I haven't got enough space really to leave enough gap to avoid
disintegration of the plaster between the two boxes.

TLC sell 'bridge' units that connect any two standard metal boxes together
at the right spacing for the plates.

--
*If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 26 December 2016 14:45:24 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
TLC sell 'bridge' units that connect any two standard metal boxes together
at the right spacing for the plates.

FSVO plates, possibly.

Personally I dislike abutted flush faceplates.

A couple of conduit bushes and a coupler will tie boxes together nicely.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Monday, 26 December 2016 14:45:24 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
TLC sell 'bridge' units that connect any two standard metal boxes
together at the right spacing for the plates.

FSVO plates, possibly.

Personally I dislike abutted flush faceplates.

A couple of conduit bushes and a coupler will tie boxes together nicely.

Done that plenty of times on the surface.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Monday, 26 December 2016 14:45:24 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
TLC sell 'bridge' units that connect any two standard metal boxes
together at the right spacing for the plates.

FSVO plates, possibly.

Not quite sure what FSVO is.

Personally I dislike abutted flush faceplates.

It's sometimes necessary.

A couple of conduit bushes and a coupler will tie boxes together nicely.

With surface mount metal boxes, yes. But with flush, why bother unless
wanting the plates to touch?

--
*White with a hint of M42*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 26 December 2016 15:21:12 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
FSVO plates, possibly.

Not quite sure what FSVO is.

For Some Value Of

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Robin
escribió:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AP540.html

Smart. The two sides look isolated from each other, would it be
permissible under the regs to use this for power (double socket) and
data (e.g. ethernet)?

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/12/2016 14:23, Chris Green wrote:
Robin wrote:
On 26/12/2016 10:06, Chris Green wrote:
Is there such a things?

Yes. No doubt others but this is what I've used

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AP540.html

Aha, thanks! I'd looked at Screwfix etc. but didn't think to try TLC.

Do please note though what they say about only using them with "White
Accessories".

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 26 December 2016 16:57:20 UTC, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AP540.html

Smart. The two sides look isolated from each other,

Looking closely I don't think they are

would it be
permissible under the regs to use this for power (double socket) and
data (e.g. ethernet)?

Yes if there's a divider or if both cables are insulated for the higher voltage.

High-voltage ethernet cables should be available
http://www.belden.com/blog/industria...iderations.cfm

(American site)

Owain