Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Just wondering - Heat Transfer

In article ,
Huge wrote:
On 2016-12-24, ARW wrote:
In article ,
DerbyBorn wrote:
Are immersion heaters as efficient as they could be? Could the
tubular element be improved upon - or doesn't it matter?

Since the only thing generated by the electricity they use is heat,
where can it go other than into the water?

That'll be why the element head gets hot, will it?

The element head screws into the cylinder case. You expect that to be
cold? If it is appreciably above the temperature of the cylinder walls,
get someone in to check why.

--
*Pride is what we have. Vanity is what others have.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/12/16 22:25, T i m wrote:
On Mon, 26 Dec 2016 19:47:53 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , T i m
writes
Skimming through Guns, Germs and Steel recently,

Is that like Elephants and Trains magazine Tim?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klS92A8YzfY

I came across some
examples where a new invention was not adopted immediately by the home
country. One was why did Japan benefit from the American invention of
the transistor with the finger pointed at US vested interests from
vacuum valve manufacturers. Our railways and the reluctance to change
from steam might be another vested interest example.

No. I had forgotten the name of the author (Jared Diamond according to
Wiki) basically about the fate of human societies but some interesting
stuff.

Ah, 'Location, location location'. ;-)

Funny, I was talking to the Mrs recently about how 'lucky' one might
consider oneself being born in a country that is generally able to
support a reasonable amount of like and nearly all year round. This is
specifically in comparison with those who live near the poles (N/S,
not Poland g) or in what is mostly desert.

No trees, no easy way for yer average roaming inhabitant to cook food
for example.

Cow dung

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:

[...]

Dont tend to get much of that in deserts with no trees at all.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The only time more fins etc will start to pay dividends is where you
have a *much* more powerful heater that you could not thermally "couple"
to the water well enough to reach an equilibrium temperature on the
heater that is not so high as to destroy it.

Cost involved probably not worth any gain.

Alas the killer of many a good idea.

Thanks - I can understand the notion of "thermally coupling" in my not
scientific mind.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2016 09:19, DerbyBorn wrote:

The only time more fins etc will start to pay dividends is where you
have a *much* more powerful heater that you could not thermally "couple"
to the water well enough to reach an equilibrium temperature on the
heater that is not so high as to destroy it.

Cost involved probably not worth any gain.

Alas the killer of many a good idea.

Thanks - I can understand the notion of "thermally coupling" in my not
scientific mind.

Having said that, the capacity to "couple" the output a normal kettle
element to the water is *significant* without any modifications.

Watch this example of "overclocking":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDLw1Rx_cAI

--
Cheers,