Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Heat transfer fluid vs hydraulic oil

I have an appliance which heats stuff in pots by basically having them sat
in heated fluid, heat transfer fluid.
Would there be a problem with using a thin oil instead such as hydraulic
oil?

The pot is heated to just under 100C by means of an element, the only
problem I can imagine is fumes, would heated hydraulic oil give off any?

Cheers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
I have an appliance which heats stuff in pots by basically having them sat
in heated fluid, heat transfer fluid.
Would there be a problem with using a thin oil instead such as hydraulic
oil?

The pot is heated to just under 100C by means of an element, the only
problem I can imagine is fumes, would heated hydraulic oil give off any?

Cheers.

Dunno about hydraulic - but brake fluid is good for a couple of hundred...

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:
R D S wrote:

I have an appliance which heats stuff in pots by basically having them sat
in heated fluid, heat transfer fluid.
Would there be a problem with using a thin oil instead such as hydraulic
oil?

The pot is heated to just under 100C by means of an element, the only
problem I can imagine is fumes, would heated hydraulic oil give off any?

Cheers.

Dunno about hydraulic - but brake fluid is good for a couple of hundred...

Andy

DOT3 is hygroscopic and strips paint, so, I'd avoid that. Any light
oil would work - at least I've never heard of one that can't
withstand
100C. Mineral oils will be long term stable, veg oils would gum up
in time. If its under a litre or 2, baby oil is probably as cheap as
it
gets. Its light mineral oil with a wee bit of perfume, which I assume
would quickly evaporate.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 May 2008 23:03:27 +0100, Andy Champ
wrote:

Dunno about hydraulic - but brake fluid is good for a couple of hundred...

Silicone Dot 5 (NOT 5.1) is one of the cheapest and most convenient
sources for silicone oils.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message
I have an appliance which heats stuff in pots by basically having them sat
in heated fluid, heat transfer fluid.
Would there be a problem with using a thin oil instead such as hydraulic
oil?

Right then, it smells a bit more than I expected.

Is it possible to add something to warmed oil to make it more fragrant?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

Right then, it smells a bit more than I expected.

Is it possible to add something to warmed oil to make it more fragrant?

A baby?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian C wrote:

R D S wrote:

Right then, it smells a bit more than I expected.

Is it possible to add something to warmed oil to make it more fragrant?

A baby?

I always preferred a woman. Enjoy :-)

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , R D S
writes

"R D S" wrote in message
I have an appliance which heats stuff in pots by basically having them sat
in heated fluid, heat transfer fluid.
Would there be a problem with using a thin oil instead such as hydraulic
oil?

Right then, it smells a bit more than I expected.

Is it possible to add something to warmed oil to make it more fragrant?

Chanel No 5

--
geoff

Cutting fluid? Roger Paskell Metalworking 23 May 3rd 08 10:49 PM
Floor Jack needs hydraulic fluid / question Les Wilson Home Repair 0 October 30th 05 06:11 PM
Floor Jack needs hydraulic fluid / question DanG Home Repair 1 October 27th 05 01:50 PM
hydraulic fluid Wwj2110 Metalworking 6 September 19th 03 02:24 AM
lens fluid Al Electronics Repair 3 September 10th 03 05:32 AM