Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where to buy a slim 17mm spanner?

I'm after a very slim 17mm spanner. That's slim jaws, my standard
thickness spanners are 6.5mm thick, I need something about 4.5mm thick
to get into a narrow gap.

Can anyone suggest a brand/type that would be this thin and where I
might be able to get one?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
I'm after a very slim 17mm spanner. That's slim jaws, my standard
thickness spanners are 6.5mm thick, I need something about 4.5mm thick
to get into a narrow gap.

Can anyone suggest a brand/type that would be this thin and where I
might be able to get one?

Get a cheap one and grind it down? Or if it's for something not tight, see
if there is a bike one?

--
*We waste time, so you don't have to *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Get a cheap one and grind it down?

+1
I did this to a ring spanner MANY years ago to reach something (probably
a cylinder head nut) on a BSA C15 or a Triumph T100SS ... I presume
there was a special service tool but a quick grind got around the
problem. Just keep quenching it so it doesn't overheat and spoil the temper.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 15/12/2016 15:02, DerbyBorn wrote:
Get a cheap one and grind it down?

Or depending on how the bolt is located a box spanner.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:
On 15/12/2016 15:02, DerbyBorn wrote:
Get a cheap one and grind it down?

Or depending on how the bolt is located a box spanner.

No, it's a shaft with only narrow access that I want to prevent from
rotating. There's no access from the ends at all.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 14:44:19 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

see if there is a bike one?

....which is called a "17 mm cone wrench". Come in cheap stamped metal, or
better, i.e. Park Tools.

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,

Get a cheap one and grind it down?

+1 I did this to a ring spanner MANY years ago to reach something
(probably a cylinder head nut) on a BSA C15 or a Triumph T100SS ... I
presume there was a special service tool but a quick grind got around
the problem. Just keep quenching it so it doesn't overheat and spoil
the temper.

Yup. In my case to remove the vacuum modulator valve on a GM auto box.

I assumed the OP was asking about an open ender.

--
*Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

see if there is a bike one?

...which is called a "17 mm cone wrench".

In American, it's a cone spanner in English :-)

Come in cheap stamped metal, or better, i.e. Park Tools.

Do bear Dave's "if it's for something not tight" in mind though. Cone
spanners, even the better quality ones, are easily damaged if misused
as standard spanners.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/conewrenches.html

On the other hand a cheap one treated as disposable might be good enough
if it's a one time job, and easier than grinding down a normal spanner.

Alternatively, buy something like:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultra-Thin-.../dp/B00EJDIM8Q
http://www.automotive-toolzone.co.uk...ltra-thin.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/12/2016 14:19, Chris Green wrote:
I'm after a very slim 17mm spanner. That's slim jaws, my standard
thickness spanners are 6.5mm thick, I need something about 4.5mm thick
to get into a narrow gap.

Can anyone suggest a brand/type that would be this thin and where I
might be able to get one?

Angle grinder time :-)

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:
On 15/12/2016 14:19, Chris Green wrote:
I'm after a very slim 17mm spanner. That's slim jaws, my standard
thickness spanners are 6.5mm thick, I need something about 4.5mm thick
to get into a narrow gap.

Can anyone suggest a brand/type that would be this thin and where I
might be able to get one?

Angle grinder time :-)

I actually need the slim spanner to hold the shaft of the angle
grinder while removing/fixing grind wheels. The push button lock has
sheared. I have other angle grinders though! :-)

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Green" wrote in message ...

Muddymike wrote:
On 15/12/2016 14:19, Chris Green wrote:
I'm after a very slim 17mm spanner. That's slim jaws, my standard
thickness spanners are 6.5mm thick, I need something about 4.5mm thick
to get into a narrow gap.

Can anyone suggest a brand/type that would be this thin and where I
might be able to get one?

Angle grinder time :-)

I actually need the slim spanner to hold the shaft of the angle
grinder while removing/fixing grind wheels. The push button lock has
sheared. I have other angle grinders though! :-)

Just goes to show - you need AT LEAST two angle grinders

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

see if there is a bike one?

...which is called a "17 mm cone wrench".

In American, it's a cone spanner in English :-)

Come in cheap stamped metal, or better, i.e. Park Tools.

Do bear Dave's "if it's for something not tight" in mind though. Cone
spanners, even the better quality ones, are easily damaged if misused
as standard spanners.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/conewrenches.html

On the other hand a cheap one treated as disposable might be good enough
if it's a one time job, and easier than grinding down a normal spanner.

Back in the '70s I ground down 2 reasonably good spanners, very slowly to
avoid heating them, on a horizontal grinder at work.
Did one side only to keep the treated metal on the other side. Took 'em to
about 2 - 2.5mm IIRC.
Did 14/15 and 15/16 so as to fit most cones, with Campag Record in mind.
They're still OK and were the onl ones that would move a cone that hadn't
been locked down and had been screwed in by the wheel to the point where we
couldn't turn the wheel by hand.
Amazing really, for only one 'proper' side.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:
I'm after a very slim 17mm spanner. That's slim jaws, my standard
thickness spanners are 6.5mm thick, I need something about 4.5mm thick
to get into a narrow gap.

Can anyone suggest a brand/type that would be this thin and where I
might be able to get one?

Williams Superslim used to be the must have brand of spanner. No idea if
they are still available.