Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Outdoor photocell connected to outlets

I have an outdoor photocell that's hooked to 4 gfci outdoor outlets (makes
them work dusk to dawn) put Xmas lights up everything all good until while
sitting here tonight the llights went out about 30 seconds then came back on.
They seem to do this every few hours. Outlets aren't tripping and breaker
doesn't trip .... any ideas?

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...s-1177466-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/12/2016 01:14, Awright221 wrote:
I have an outdoor photocell that's hooked to 4 gfci outdoor outlets (makes
them work dusk to dawn) put Xmas lights up everything all good until while
sitting here tonight the llights went out about 30 seconds then came
back on.
They seem to do this every few hours. Outlets aren't tripping and breaker
doesn't trip .... any ideas?

Feedback from the lights reaching the photocell? Might be the lights
combined with a full moon are enough to take the photocell to the
threshold of thinking its getting light occasionally.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Awright221 m wrote

I have an outdoor photocell that's hooked to 4 gfci outdoor outlets
(makes
them work dusk to dawn) put Xmas lights up everything all good until while
sitting here tonight the llights went out about 30 seconds then came back
on.
They seem to do this every few hours. Outlets aren't tripping and breaker
doesn't trip .... any ideas?

for full context, visit
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...s-1177466-.htm

Presumably its a faulty outdoor photocell or the connection to it is flaky.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Something shining on the cell?
I hadthis with a home made device as there was not enough hysteresis in the
trigger levels to be able to ignore lights.
Of course it could be mains interference from a thermostat or something like
that as well.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Awright221" m wrote in
message roups.com...
I have an outdoor photocell that's hooked to 4 gfci outdoor outlets (makes
them work dusk to dawn) put Xmas lights up everything all good until while
sitting here tonight the llights went out about 30 seconds then came back
on.
They seem to do this every few hours. Outlets aren't tripping and breaker
doesn't trip .... any ideas?
--
for full context, visit
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...s-1177466-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, December 15, 2016 at 1:14:03 AM UTC, Awright221 wrote:
I have an outdoor photocell that's hooked to 4 gfci outdoor outlets (makes
them work dusk to dawn) put Xmas lights up everything all good until while
sitting here tonight the llights went out about 30 seconds then came back on.
They seem to do this every few hours. Outlets aren't tripping and breaker
doesn't trip .... any ideas?

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...s-1177466-.htm

Why not cover the cell with tape so it's completely dark. Does the fault go away?

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Rod Speed, Awright221 wrote:
Photocell is brand new just replaced.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...s-1177466-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to RobertL, Awright221 wrote:
Will try this tonight. We just had them setup on photocell to come on and
off dusk to dawn each evening as convenience for when we are not home etc
lights can still be enjoyed by others.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...s-1177466-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 15 December 2016 18:44:04 UTC, Awright221 wrote:
replying to Rod Speed, Awright221 wrote:
Photocell is brand new just replaced.

then it's probably a 'feature' designed to remind you or something. Remind you you bought something designed by a ----.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Awright221" m wrote in
message roups.com...
replying to Rod Speed, Awright221 wrote:
Photocell is brand new just replaced.

It may be faulty. Or the problem may be in the wiring. Or the new photocell
wasnt connected properly, the wire may not have been fully screwed into
the terminal block properly.

for full context, visit
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...s-1177466-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Awright221, Awright221 wrote:
Connection to photocell is correct no "flakiness" all outlets worked fine
prior to Xmas lights being hooked up. Covering cell with electrical tape
does not correct issue. (At this point I'm thinking the cell can't handle
the light load, as non of the gfci's or house breaker ever kick during the
issue. Will remove photocell tomorrow and direct wire to see if this
corrects the issue.)

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...s-1177466-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/12/2016 15:14, Awright221 wrote:
replying to Awright221, Awright221 wrote:
Connection to photocell is correct no "flakiness" all outlets worked fine
prior to Xmas lights being hooked up. Covering cell with electrical tape
does not correct issue. (At this point I'm thinking the cell can't handle
the light load, as non of the gfci's or house breaker ever kick during the
issue. Will remove photocell tomorrow and direct wire to see if this
corrects the issue.)

This could be an EMI problem - some (poor quality) xmas lights can put
out lots of electrical interference. That may be what is affecting the
electronics monitoring the photocell.

(There was a time where I could reliably turn on the light in my lounge
(controlled by a "touch" dimmer), simply by turning the 17" CRT monitor
for my computer on in another room!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Awright221, Awright221 wrote:
By unhooking photocell & direct wiring outlets problem was corrected. (I
just bypassed and direct wired back to outlets for holidays,,, looks like a
flip of the breaker each night will have to do the lights this year.). I'm
assuming photo cell just couldn't handle load with all the lights. If anyone
has any ideas or knows of a photocell that would work let me know. I loved
the convenience of all the lights outside turning on and off each evening /
morning by themselves regardless of whom was home. 😀 Thanks for all the
help and advice. Merry Christmas ˜ƒï¸ðŸŒ²˜ƒï¸

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...s-1177466-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Awright221" m wrote in
message oups.com...
/
morning by themselves regardless of whom was home. 😀 Thanks for all the
help and advice. Merry Christmas ˜ƒï¸ðŸŒ²˜ƒï¸

Given that hardly anyone sees that fault, likely just replacing it with a
new one will be fine.

I realise that its new, but clearly its defective.