Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 17VDC PSU FOR NOTEBOOK

Rod Speed's idea in action.

http://bit.ly/2hwqCH3
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote:
Rod Speed's idea in action.

http://bit.ly/2hwqCH3

As you are both prolific posters here, I'm having trouble locating the
text details of Rods idea.
It looks useful
Could you link to it please?

TIA

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:
Rod Speed's idea in action.

http://bit.ly/2hwqCH3

As you are both prolific posters here, I'm having trouble locating the
text details of Rods idea.
It looks useful
Could you link to it please?

TIA

Bob

Why not just read the name off the top?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Suaoki-Star.../dp/B01AJLN0PG

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 14 December 2016 23:07:02 UTC, Tim+ wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:
Rod Speed's idea in action.

http://bit.ly/2hwqCH3

As you are both prolific posters here, I'm having trouble locating the
text details of Rods idea.
It looks useful
Could you link to it please?

TIA

Bob

Why not just read the name off the top?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Suaoki-Star.../dp/B01AJLN0PG

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Yes, it is fantastic and means that I can work on my Acer Aspire S7 all day long with no mains power and at full screen brightness.

Well done Wodders.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 14 December 2016 22:56:33 UTC, Bob Minchin wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:
Rod Speed's idea in action.

http://bit.ly/2hwqCH3

As you are both prolific posters here, I'm having trouble locating the
text details of Rods idea.
It looks useful
Could you link to it please?

Just bought another one for the car as you can pump up tyres with it and start engines with a flat battery.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:
Rod Speed's idea in action.

http://bit.ly/2hwqCH3

As you are both prolific posters here, I'm having trouble locating the
text details of Rods idea.
It looks useful
Could you link to it please?

TIA

Bob

Why not just read the name off the top?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Suaoki-Star.../dp/B01AJLN0PG

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Yes, it is fantastic and means that I can work on my Acer Aspire S7 all day long with no mains power and at full screen brightness.

Well done Wodders.

Ah. wodders is pleasuiring himself again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:
Rod Speed's idea in action.

http://bit.ly/2hwqCH3

As you are both prolific posters here, I'm having trouble locating the
text details of Rods idea.
It looks useful
Could you link to it please?

TIA

Bob

Why not just read the name off the top?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Suaoki-Star.../dp/B01AJLN0PG

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Yes, it is fantastic and means that I can work on my Acer Aspire S7 all day long with no mains power and at full screen brightness.

Well done Wodders.

The spec for the G7 says 3.5 amps at 19v. What does your laptop require?
My Dell says it needs it needs 19v at 4.62 amps (which I find hard to
believe) but would make this unit to be inadequate for the job.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:

The spec for the G7 says 3.5 amps at 19v. What does your laptop require?
My Dell says it needs it needs 19v at 4.62 amps (which I find hard to
believe) but would make this unit to be inadequate for the job.

I have a handy Dell travel adapter that is very small, takes any voltage
you're likely to find in offices, hotels, cars and planes, it's 60W
which was the same as the power brick of the laptop I had at the time.

Two laptop upgrades later, each comes with larger and heavier chargers
now 130W or more, which I leave connected to docking stations at home
and in an office.

Dell laptops will accept under-powered adapters (you might get a warning
at boot which you override) it can only charge slowly if it's running at
the same time, and it threatens to throttle the CPU or switch from the
Radeon to the Intel GPU, but typically it takes under 20W in use, so for
travel use the 60W adapter is still great.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 15 December 2016 09:17:46 UTC, Bob Minchin wrote:

The spec for the G7 says 3.5 amps at 19v. What does your laptop require?
My Dell says it needs it needs 19v at 4.62 amps (which I find hard to
believe) but would make this unit to be inadequate for the job.

It only needs to last whilst I am on the ferry or train, as soon as I get to my cabin or hotel, I can plug into 240VAC again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:
Rod Speed's idea in action.

http://bit.ly/2hwqCH3

As you are both prolific posters here, I'm having trouble locating the
text details of Rods idea.
It looks useful
Could you link to it please?

TIA

Bob

Why not just read the name off the top?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Suaoki-Star.../dp/B01AJLN0PG

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Yes, it is fantastic and means that I can work on my Acer Aspire S7 all day long with no mains power and at full screen brightness.

Has someone ****ed up the mains supply with their d-i-y electrics then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 01:56:02 -0800 (PST), Simon Mason
wrote:

On Thursday, 15 December 2016 09:17:46 UTC, Bob Minchin wrote:

The spec for the G7 says 3.5 amps at 19v. What does your laptop require?
My Dell says it needs it needs 19v at 4.62 amps (which I find hard to
believe) but would make this unit to be inadequate for the job.

It only needs to last whilst I am on the ferry or train, as soon as I get to my cabin or hotel, I can plug into 240VAC again.

Oh - I thought you were having to use it in the house because the electrics
were ****ed again.

You must make an awful lot of trips on ferries and trains to need that.

Do you have a very long daily commute?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote:
Rod Speed's idea in action.

http://bit.ly/2hwqCH3

As you are both prolific posters here, I'm having trouble locating the
text details of Rods idea.
It looks useful
Could you link to it please?

Just bought another one for the car as you can pump up tyres with it and start engines with a flat battery.

Why not keep the first one in the car - and then take it with you on your
thousand mile daily commute using trains and ferries which necessitated the
device?

A fool and his (loads of) money are soon parted.

If we believe you of course.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, 15 December 2016 09:17:46 UTC, Bob Minchin wrote:

The spec for the G7 says 3.5 amps at 19v. What does your laptop require?
My Dell says it needs it needs 19v at 4.62 amps (which I find hard to
believe) but would make this unit to be inadequate for the job.

It only needs to last whilst I am on the ferry or train, as soon as I get to my cabin or hotel, I can plug into 240VAC again.

I'm not concerned about the running time but more about the potential
overload of the SMPSU in the Suaoki G7. If it is rated at 3.5amps and
the lappy wants 4.62 amps there could be a problem.
There are vids on YouTube where the dc jack output seems to have failed
but the usb and car start still work.
However I suspect the Dell spec if for running the laptop AND charging
so I could easily disconnect the battery from the laptop.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:

[...]

Yes I have one of those. Maybe using it and the Suaoki G7 (bodged onto
the 12v car start output connector) would be a solution for running the
laptop and charging it.
The Suaoki G7 claims 66.6Wh and my lappy battery is 68Wh so with
conversion losses the Suaoki G7 is going to be less effective than
carrying a second battery for the Dell.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote:
Rod Speed's idea in action.

http://bit.ly/2hwqCH3

As you are both prolific posters here, I'm having trouble locating the
text details of Rods idea.
It looks useful
Could you link to it please?

Just bought another one for the car as you can pump up tyres with it and
start engines with a flat battery.

Why not keep the first one in the car - and then take it with you on your
thousand mile daily commute using trains and ferries which necessitated
the
device?

A fool and his (loads of) money are soon parted.

If we believe you of course.

If you believe that dick, you'll believe anything.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 15 December 2016 10:23:45 UTC, Bob Minchin wrote:

I'm not concerned about the running time but more about the potential
overload of the SMPSU in the Suaoki G7. If it is rated at 3.5amps and
the lappy wants 4.62 amps there could be a problem.

Why it's just run at 3.5amps which it is rated at, unless it's a bit crap then there might be problems.
It will just charge a little slower I suppose.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 15 December 2016 10:18:28 UTC, Judith wrote:

Do you have a very long daily commute?

You should know my commute by now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tYPGvzcYQE
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 15 December 2016 10:23:45 UTC, Bob Minchin wrote:

I'm not concerned about the running time but more about the potential
overload of the SMPSU in the Suaoki G7. If it is rated at 3.5amps and
the lappy wants 4.62 amps there could be a problem.

Why it's just run at 3.5amps which it is rated at, unless it's a bit crap then there might be problems.
It will just charge a little slower I suppose.

Well not necessarily if the load it too great, it depends how the source
behaves. ie goes into constant current and drops the voltage, tries to
deliver the current and damages itself, or uses foldback current
limiting as many SMPSU do and turns itself off or right down until the
load impedance increases.
HOWEVER.....

I've subsequently found that the dell will only charge from a legit dell
power supply which has a chip in it that identifies the charger capacity
and the laptop alters the charging regime accordingly. No ID chip = no
charge delivered.
So the issue goes away!
The lappy itself draws around 20-30w according to how hard it is
working, display brightness etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 17:39:08 +0000, Bob Minchin
wrote:

snip

I've subsequently found that the dell will only charge from a legit dell
power supply which has a chip in it that identifies the charger capacity

I've repaired many a Dell charger when the centre pin / sense wire has
broken somewhere (typically, in the cord as it leaves the PSU or
enters the back of the DC jack) by shortening (if at the PSU end) or
replacing the cable with a new one. I only do this for myself but if
you like doing such things it's often a much cheaper way to get a
'good' charger again (I just crack the seam on the PSU open with a
toffee hammer with the PSU held in my hand and when glued back
together afterwards you would never know it had been opened).

and the laptop alters the charging regime accordingly. No ID chip = no
charge delivered.

It is 'clever' how the laptop (inc BIOS) 'knows' what spec the charger
is but not so good when it won't work even when the charger itself it
working.

Similarly 'clever' how phones they can go into fast charging mode and
take the USB output voltage over 5V (I've seen it as high as 9). ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:
Rod Speed's idea in action.

http://bit.ly/2hwqCH3

As you are both prolific posters here, I'm having trouble locating the
text details of Rods idea.
It looks useful
Could you link to it please?

TIA

Bob

Why not just read the name off the top?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Suaoki-Star.../dp/B01AJLN0PG

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Yes, it is fantastic and means that I can work on my Acer Aspire S7 all day long with no mains power

and at full screen brightness.

Well done Wodders.

The reviews on Amazon say otherwise. One reviewer only managed 105
minutes powering his laptop.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 15 December 2016 21:28:03 UTC, Andrew wrote:

Well done Wodders.

The reviews on Amazon say otherwise. One reviewer only managed 105
minutes powering his laptop.

Internal is 2 hours + 105 mins = 3.75h = plenty.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 15:08:55 -0000, Simon Mason wrote:

On Thursday, 15 December 2016 10:18:28 UTC, Judith wrote:

Do you have a very long daily commute?

You should know my commute by now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tYPGvzcYQE

Some sensibly parked cars half on the pavement, giving you more room as a cyclist. What's your problem?

--
Save the whales. Collect the whole set.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 15 December 2016 17:39:23 UTC, Bob Minchin wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 15 December 2016 10:23:45 UTC, Bob Minchin wrote:

I'm not concerned about the running time but more about the potential
overload of the SMPSU in the Suaoki G7. If it is rated at 3.5amps and
the lappy wants 4.62 amps there could be a problem.

Why it's just run at 3.5amps which it is rated at, unless it's a bit crap then there might be problems.
It will just charge a little slower I suppose.

Well not necessarily if the load it too great,

If it's rated to deliver 3.5 amps then that's what it should do it shouldn't fail at 3.5amps unless it;s a crap supply or not speced properly.
\

it depends how the source
behaves.

i.e the PSU.

ie goes into constant current and drops the voltage, tries to
deliver the current and damages itself, or uses foldback current
limiting as many SMPSU do and turns itself off or right down until the
load impedance increases.
HOWEVER.....

I've subsequently found that the dell will only charge from a legit dell
power supply which has a chip in it that identifies the charger capacity
and the laptop alters the charging regime accordingly. No ID chip = no
charge delivered.

Yes, whivh is why buying the correct supply is important.

So the issue goes away!
The lappy itself draws around 20-30w according to how hard it is
working, display brightness etc.

I know the apple PSU can be rated at anything from 45W to 85W depending on model.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 16 December 2016 00:04:26 UTC, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 15:08:55 -0000, Simon Mason wrote:

On Thursday, 15 December 2016 10:18:28 UTC, Judith wrote:

Do you have a very long daily commute?

You should know my commute by now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tYPGvzcYQE

Some sensibly parked cars half on the pavement, giving you more room as a cyclist. What's your problem?

If you're in a wheelchair or pushing a sprog in a pram especailly those side by side stereo prams.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 11:32:08 -0000, whisky-dave wrote:

On Friday, 16 December 2016 00:04:26 UTC, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 15:08:55 -0000, Simon Mason wrote:

On Thursday, 15 December 2016 10:18:28 UTC, Judith wrote:

Do you have a very long daily commute?

You should know my commute by now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tYPGvzcYQE

Some sensibly parked cars half on the pavement, giving you more room as a cyclist. What's your problem?

If you're in a wheelchair or pushing a sprog in a pram especailly those side by side stereo prams.

You lot are less common than cars trying to get past.

--
Excuse me sir, are you playing the bagpipes or sexually abusing an octopus?

Notebook fan LSMFT Electronics Repair 6 August 14th 10 06:23 PM
Intermittency in a notebook PCB Anand Electronics Repair 2 July 2nd 05 07:45 PM
Notebook LCD replacement Mr. Fedora Electronics Repair 0 January 23rd 05 09:25 AM
A Woodwork Notebook POP_Server=pop.clara.net Woodworking 3 January 8th 05 08:13 PM
ATTN NOTEBOOK Repair WIZARDS----------Anyone know how a Notebook Screen backlight circuit works? P-Nuts Electronics Repair 1 January 24th 04 12:34 PM