Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Light fitting to batten

When I reposition my ceiling light fitting must I attach to a batten
spanning 2 joists or can I fix a batten to the topside of the
plasterboard ceiling.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2016 17:34, ss wrote:
When I reposition my ceiling light fitting must I attach to a batten
spanning 2 joists or can I fix a batten to the topside of the
plasterboard ceiling.

I don't know the regulatory position, but if you slip while changing a
bulb you could do a lot more damage with the latter method.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 07/12/2016 17:34, ss wrote:
When I reposition my ceiling light fitting must I attach to a batten
spanning 2 joists or can I fix a batten to the topside of the
plasterboard ceiling.

This is in your bedroom. Do you swing from the chandelier?

I suspect that lots of ceiling roses are just screwed into the
plasterboard.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2016 18:01, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 07/12/2016 17:34, ss wrote:
When I reposition my ceiling light fitting must I attach to a batten
spanning 2 joists or can I fix a batten to the topside of the
plasterboard ceiling.

I don't know the regulatory position, but if you slip while changing a
bulb you could do a lot more damage with the latter method.

Cheers

No law stating not to use plasterboard ... but I would never fit
anything direct to plasterboard.
Put a noggin across between joists.

If you can't get at above ... drill a hole slip in a 10" length of
batten and screw through plasterboard into that ... sandwiches board and
spreads load.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ss" wrote in message
When I reposition my ceiling light fitting must I attach to a batten
spanning 2 joists or can I fix a batten to the topside of the plasterboard
ceiling.

Depends on how heavy it is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 07/12/2016 18:27, rick wrote:

No law stating not to use plasterboard ... but I would never fit
anything direct to plasterboard.
Put a noggin across between joists.

If you can't get at above ... drill a hole slip in a 10" length of
batten and screw through plasterboard into that ... sandwiches board and
spreads load.

I think he said there's very little headroom. So, fixing a noggin to the
joists would be very awkward.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 07/12/2016 18:34, John wrote:

"ss" wrote in message
When I reposition my ceiling light fitting must I attach to a batten
spanning 2 joists or can I fix a batten to the topside of the
plasterboard ceiling.

Depends on how heavy it is.

I will try first if space allows to fit to joists, otherwise a batten to
the topside of plasterboard.

Bog standard light fitting nothing elaborate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 7 December 2016 20:09:42 UTC, ss wrote:
On 07/12/2016 18:34, John wrote:
"ss" wrote in message

When I reposition my ceiling light fitting must I attach to a batten
spanning 2 joists or can I fix a batten to the topside of the
plasterboard ceiling.

Depends on how heavy it is.

I will try first if space allows to fit to joists, otherwise a batten to
the topside of plasterboard.

Bog standard light fitting nothing elaborate.

I cant see any need. Good plasterboard plugs should be fine.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2016 20:09, ss wrote:
On 07/12/2016 18:34, John wrote:

"ss" wrote in message
When I reposition my ceiling light fitting must I attach to a batten
spanning 2 joists or can I fix a batten to the topside of the
plasterboard ceiling.

Depends on how heavy it is.

I will try first if space allows to fit to joists, otherwise a batten to
the topside of plasterboard.

Bog standard light fitting nothing elaborate.

If you're concerned about loading the plasterboard and have enough
access to reach the space above but not enough headroom to screw in a
noggin you could try fabricating a loose noggin the same height as the
joists with an extra and longer piece of timber screwed on top of it
which will rest on top of the joists. When you screw the light fitting
through the plasterboard to the noggin any loads should be carried on
the top of the adjoining joists. It might be a two person job to get the
first screw started, one in the loft to hold the noggin down and another
below to drive in the screw.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 08/12/2016 13:05, Mike Clarke wrote:

Depends on how heavy it is.

I will try first if space allows to fit to joists, otherwise a batten to
the topside of plasterboard.

Bog standard light fitting nothing elaborate.

If you're concerned about loading the plasterboard and have enough
access to reach the space above but not enough headroom to screw in a
noggin you could try fabricating a loose noggin the same height as the
joists with an extra and longer piece of timber screwed on top of it
which will rest on top of the joists. When you screw the light fitting
through the plasterboard to the noggin any loads should be carried on
the top of the adjoining joists. It might be a two person job to get the
first screw started, one in the loft to hold the noggin down and another
below to drive in the screw.

Weight, in total with lightbulb about 300 grams.

Thanks again for all the suggestions it will now be done one way or the
other.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 8 Dec 2016 13:05:39 +0000, Mike Clarke wrote:

On 07/12/2016 20:09, ss wrote:
On 07/12/2016 18:34, John wrote:

"ss" wrote in message
[...]

In an awkward place under the first floor I cleaned the crud and dust off
the top of the plasterboard and glued a piece of floorboard to it for the
full space between the joists. From below I could easily put in screws and
drill bigger holes - these modern gunks are very useful.
I've also cut a piece of board, put a batten at each end and screwed
horizontally through that into the joists - probably andle
chandelier-swinging.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 8 December 2016 13:05:41 UTC, Mike Clarke wrote:
On 07/12/2016 20:09, ss wrote:
On 07/12/2016 18:34, John wrote:
"ss" wrote in message

[...]

Or just feed a stick of wood in through a small hole and screw to its centre. The wood, if not too bendy, spreads the load over a wide area of plasterboard.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2016 20:09, ss wrote:

Bog standard light fitting nothing elaborate.

If you're concerned about loading the plasterboard and have enough
access to reach the space above but not enough headroom to screw in a
noggin you could try fabricating a loose noggin the same height as the
joists with an extra and longer piece of timber screwed on top of it
which will rest on top of the joists. When you screw the light fitting
through the plasterboard to the noggin any loads should be carried on
the top of the adjoining joists. It might be a two person job to get the
first screw started, one in the loft to hold the noggin down and another
below to drive in the screw.

In the past I have used plywood between the joists and above
plasterboard or above suspect lath/ plaster and held from moving upwards
with some scrap pieces of wood wedged between the joists (in one case
glued with a grab adhesive - no more nails)

Then when fitting light roses or light fittings drill a pilot hole up
through the pasterboard and plywood and use a slightly longer screw.