Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OTish DIY Plastic recycling

Build your own plastic recycling plant.
https://preciousplastic.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard wrote:
Build your own plastic recycling plant.
https://preciousplastic.com

Seems to me developing clean incineration plants is way more sensible than
horribly inefficient plastic collection, sorting and recycling that is
going on at present. How much energy is needed to turn something from a
domestic dustbin back into something useful?

Lots of useful energy locked up in all that plastic.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

"Richard" Wrote in message:
Build your own plastic recycling plant.
https://preciousplastic.com

Um did I miss the bit where they say how?

Seems like the murketing fairies have been got well stuck in to
that idea /site?

Should I have spotted a "price list" in there somewhere too?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jim" wrote in message

"Richard" Wrote in message:
Build your own plastic recycling plant.
https://preciousplastic.com

Um did I miss the bit where they say how?

Seems like the murketing fairies have been got well stuck in to
that idea /site?

Should I have spotted a "price list" in there somewhere too?

Well, the links are along the top:
Home The Plan Machines etc.

https://preciousplastic.com/en/videos/build/
https://preciousplastic.com/en/videos/build/extrusion/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

"Richard" Wrote in message:
"jim" wrote in message

"Richard" Wrote in message:
Build your own plastic recycling plant.
https://preciousplastic.com

Um did I miss the bit where they say how?

Seems like the murketing fairies have been got well stuck in to
that idea /site?

Should I have spotted a "price list" in there somewhere too?

Well, the links are along the top:
Home The Plan Machines etc.

https://preciousplastic.com/en/videos/build/
https://preciousplastic.com/en/videos/build/extrusion/

Ah I'll have another go on a different device :-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/6/2016 6:12 PM, Tim+ wrote:
Richard wrote:
Build your own plastic recycling plant.
https://preciousplastic.com

Seems to me developing clean incineration plants is way more sensible than
horribly inefficient plastic collection, sorting and recycling that is
going on at present. How much energy is needed to turn something from a
domestic dustbin back into something useful?

Lots of useful energy locked up in all that plastic.

Tim

I tend to agree, but perhaps a basic "first pass" might enable some
useful recycling into "garden furniture" type products?

As discussed a litle here by Julia Higgins, worth a listen for those of
a scientific bent.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b083n2jg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/6/2016 6:12 PM, Tim+ wrote:
Richard wrote:
Build your own plastic recycling plant.
https://preciousplastic.com

Seems to me developing clean incineration plants is way more sensible than
horribly inefficient plastic collection, sorting and recycling that is
going on at present. How much energy is needed to turn something from a
domestic dustbin back into something useful?

Lots of useful energy locked up in all that plastic.

Tim

Having had a quick look at the web site I'm quite impressed. (I admit I
didn't search around to see who is funding it). I could believe that
with third world labour costs to do the sorting and cleaning (and we
have all seen the videos of kids swarming over disgusting rubbish tips),
this sort of small scale enterprise could provide real opportunities in
the right places.

I was expecting it to be full of "save the planet" rhetoric, but
actually it is more about starting an industrial revolution without too
much capital.

And then it can branch two ways, either to provide useful recycled
material to conventional manufacturing, or to produce alternative
innovative products (say, plastic bicycles or housing).

But you can always burn the stuff which is too contaminated or otherwise
not suitable for recycling as well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...

On 12/6/2016 6:12 PM, Tim+ wrote:
Richard wrote:
[...]

Good that at least one person could see the plan. I only found the site from
having looked at this:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Maki...ck-for-Project

Posted to uk.d-i-y

And use so much more energy than creating new plastic, very handy.
Apparently the latest ideas are for smart plastic that self destructs on
encountering a certain gas or liquid. However two issues with that, firstly,
what about all the old plastic, and second one would need to choose your
destruct signal substance very carefully or granny witht the new formulation
pledge might suddnly find the tv as a gooey blob on the floor.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Richard" wrote in message
news
Build your own plastic recycling plant.
https://preciousplastic.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 6 December 2016 18:13:52 UTC, Tim+ wrote:
Richard wrote:
Build your own plastic recycling plant.
https://preciousplastic.com

Seems to me developing clean incineration plants is way more sensible than
horribly inefficient plastic collection, sorting and recycling that is
going on at present. How much energy is needed to turn something from a
domestic dustbin back into something useful?

Lots of useful energy locked up in all that plastic.

Burning plastic is extremely polluting.
Even if scrubbers are fitted,the collected material still has to be disposed of.
We should be using more glass and returning containers for reuse.
The plastic is poisoning us.

GÜRTAN PLASTIC - PLASTIC CRATES,PALLETS and ALL TYPE OF PLASTIC PRODUCTS [email protected] Home Repair 0 August 1st 07 07:50 AM
GÜRTAN PLASTIC - PLASTIC CRATES,PALLETS and ALL TYPE OF PLASTIC PRODUCTS [email protected] Home Ownership 0 August 1st 07 07:42 AM
Recycling The Medway Handyman UK diy 44 July 24th 07 07:41 PM
GÜRTAN PLASTIC - PLASTIC CRATES,PALLETS and ALL TYPE OF PLASTIC PRODUCTS [email protected] Home Repair 1 July 11th 07 01:18 PM
GÜRTAN PLASTIC - PLASTIC CRATES,PALLETS and ALL TYPE OF PLASTIC PRODUCTS [email protected] Home Ownership 0 July 11th 07 11:47 AM