Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cable for AEG induction hob - closest option to 6mm at 90*?

I've trawled the Net for opinions on this, and the specified 6mm cable at 90* doesn't seem to exist in general supply. The manual refers to H05V2V2-FT

General opinion is don't fit common twin and earth - needs heat resistant cable.

Closest I can find so far is H07 which is 6mm rated +85*.

Anything closer?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/16 14:17, Eusebius wrote:
I've trawled the Net for opinions on this, and the specified 6mm cable at 90* doesn't seem to exist in general supply. The manual refers to H05V2V2-FT

General opinion is don't fit common twin and earth - needs heat resistant cable.

Closest I can find so far is H07 which is 6mm rated +85*.

Anything closer?

I think the chances of it exceeding 85C (vs 90C) at the terminals is
pretty minimal for an induction hob so H07 would probably be fine.

People traditionally wire up cookers in 6mm2 T+E anyway - so heat
resistant cable of any sort is a luxury
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
On 05/12/16 14:17, Eusebius wrote:
I've trawled the Net for opinions on this, and the specified 6mm cable
at 90* doesn't seem to exist in general supply. The manual refers to
H05V2V2-FT

General opini Wis don't fit common twin and earth - needs heat
resistant cable.

Closest I can find so far is H07 which is 6mm rated +85*.

Anything closer?

I think the chances of it exceeding 85C (vs 90C) at the terminals is
pretty minimal for an induction hob so H07 would probably be fine.

People traditionally wire up cookers in 6mm2 T+E anyway - so heat
resistant cable of any sort is a luxury

It would be a pretty poor design of hob that exceeded 90C on the body, I'd
say.

--
*Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

After several hours of research, I found this which is by far the closest and sold by the metre, so it's ordered and paid for. Seems good to 85* at least.

http://www.sparkydirect.co.uk/produc...tre/index.html

There are several threads on connecting induction hobs which are rated around 7Kw and plenty of discussion. I hope the above helps.

H07 is rated 60* so that's close but not as good.

I did find this in one thread:

"Called to look at an electric hob which was tripping the MCB. I found that the 6mm T+E was severely burnt at the hob terminals and had also burnt the plastic terminal moulding. The customer was pretty annoyed at what i found as it could well have caused a fire. He wanted to know how this could happen and who's insurers to contact. After a bit of digging around, i found that the install instruction called for HO5RR-F to be used."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2016 15:06, Eusebius wrote:
After several hours of research, I found this which is by far the
closest and sold by the metre, so it's ordered and paid for. Seems
good to 85* at least.

http://www.sparkydirect.co.uk/produc...tre/index.html

There are several threads on connecting induction hobs which are
rated around 7Kw and plenty of discussion. I hope the above helps.

H07 is rated 60* so that's close but not as good.

Bosh ones come with a lead fitted.
You would think they all would at the price they are.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Eusebius wrote:
"Called to look at an electric hob which was tripping the MCB. I found
that the 6mm T+E was severely burnt at the hob terminals and had also
burnt the plastic terminal moulding. The customer was pretty annoyed at
what i found as it could well have caused a fire. He wanted to know how
this could happen and who's insurers to contact. After a bit of digging
around, i found that the install instruction called for HO5RR-F to be
used."

If the terminal moulding had melted too sounds far more like a poor
connection than the cable overheating.

--
*Letting a cat out of the bag is easier than putting it back in *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 5 December 2016 15:06:30 UTC, Eusebius wrote:
After several hours of research, I found this which is by far the closest and sold by the metre, so it's ordered and paid for. Seems good to 85* at least.

http://www.sparkydirect.co.uk/produc...tre/index.html

There are several threads on connecting induction hobs which are rated around 7Kw and plenty of discussion. I hope the above helps.

H07 is rated 60* so that's close but not as good.

I did find this in one thread:

"Called to look at an electric hob which was tripping the MCB. I found that the 6mm T+E was severely burnt at the hob terminals and had also burnt the plastic terminal moulding. The customer was pretty annoyed at what i found as it could well have caused a fire. He wanted to know how this could happen and who's insurers to contact. After a bit of digging around, i found that the install instruction called for HO5RR-F to be used."

Loose connection.

Ordinary T&E has been used to connect cookers for fifty years to my personal knowledge.
Put a bit of heat resistant sleeving over the ends it makes you feel better.. But not ususally done
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 5 Dec 2016 07:06:28 -0800 (PST), Eusebius
wrote:

After several hours of research, I found this which is by far the closest and sold by the metre, so it's ordered and paid for. Seems good to 85* at least.

http://www.sparkydirect.co.uk/produc...tre/index.html

There are several threads on connecting induction hobs which are rated around 7Kw and plenty of discussion. I hope the above helps.

H07 is rated 60* so that's close but not as good.

I did find this in one thread:

"Called to look at an electric hob which was tripping the MCB. I found that the 6mm T+E was severely burnt at the hob terminals and had also burnt the plastic terminal moulding. The customer was pretty annoyed at what i found as it could well have caused a fire. He wanted to know how this could happen and who's insurers to contact. After a bit of digging around, i found that the install instruction called for HO5RR-F to be used."

If the connecters weren't tightened up properly in the first place, it
would matter little what cable was used.

I wonder if a loss adjuster would take the same view though.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

That sounds like the problem to me too. Going off at a tangent, silicone
insulated wire is readily available in various colours and modest
lengths from eBay (typically used in radio controlled electric cars). I
use this as "tails" on some immersion heaters in a light industrial
application because I find that "normal" butyl heat resisting three-core
hardens over time, even with good contacts.