Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default strange screw

While fixing the stair door today, I found that the door closer had
been (inadequately) fastened to the frame using a type of screw that
I've never seen before.

The screw is a straight cylinder, with a fairly low profile thread
(bit more than a bolt, but less than a wood screw thread); it has a
partly smooth shank; but unusually, part of the tip is also
unthreaded, and the tip is formed in a precise sharp conical
point. The unthreaded tip portion comprises the point and about 1.5mm
of cylindrical shank before the point.
It has a Pozidrive head, and is made of brass, if that's relevant.

What is it? I haven't even managed to google up any pictures of such a
screw.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 4 December 2016 21:45:03 UTC, Julian Bradfield wrote:
While fixing the stair door today, I found that the door closer had
been (inadequately) fastened to the frame using a type of screw that
I've never seen before.

The screw is a straight cylinder, with a fairly low profile thread
(bit more than a bolt, but less than a wood screw thread); it has a
partly smooth shank; but unusually, part of the tip is also
unthreaded, and the tip is formed in a precise sharp conical
point. The unthreaded tip portion comprises the point and about 1.5mm
of cylindrical shank before the point.
It has a Pozidrive head, and is made of brass, if that's relevant.

What is it? I haven't even managed to google up any pictures of such a
screw.

Reminds me of the screws used in GPO phones. Post a pic.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Julian Bradfield wrote:
While fixing the stair door today, I found that the door closer had
been (inadequately) fastened to the frame using a type of screw that
I've never seen before.

The screw is a straight cylinder, with a fairly low profile thread
(bit more than a bolt, but less than a wood screw thread); it has a
partly smooth shank; but unusually, part of the tip is also
unthreaded, and the tip is formed in a precise sharp conical
point. The unthreaded tip portion comprises the point and about 1.5mm
of cylindrical shank before the point.
It has a Pozidrive head, and is made of brass, if that's relevant.

What is it?

We'll share a picture of it and maybe I'll be tempted to hazard a guess.
;-)

Definitely a case of a picture being worth a thousand words....

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2016 21:41, Julian Bradfield wrote:
While fixing the stair door today, I found that the door closer had
been (inadequately) fastened to the frame using a type of screw that
I've never seen before.

The screw is a straight cylinder, with a fairly low profile thread
(bit more than a bolt, but less than a wood screw thread); it has a
partly smooth shank; but unusually, part of the tip is also
unthreaded, and the tip is formed in a precise sharp conical
point. The unthreaded tip portion comprises the point and about 1.5mm
of cylindrical shank before the point.
It has a Pozidrive head, and is made of brass, if that's relevant.

What is it? I haven't even managed to google up any pictures of such a
screw.

You have described a drawer runner screw, most flat pack furniture uses
them for drawers a google search for drawer runner screw brings them up
first. They come in several sizes. Also used to secure fans in
computer cases. Screwfix used to sell them and still do, but their
catalogue is crap, look up online 89259 . I have used them in awkward
situations with hinges and odd jobs. Ikea would have some.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2016 21:41, Julian Bradfield wrote:
While fixing the stair door today, I found that the door closer had
been (inadequately) fastened to the frame using a type of screw that
I've never seen before.

The screw is a straight cylinder, with a fairly low profile thread
(bit more than a bolt, but less than a wood screw thread); it has a
partly smooth shank; but unusually, part of the tip is also
unthreaded, and the tip is formed in a precise sharp conical
point. The unthreaded tip portion comprises the point and about 1.5mm
of cylindrical shank before the point.
It has a Pozidrive head, and is made of brass, if that's relevant.

What is it? I haven't even managed to google up any pictures of such a
screw.

here are some on ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/18235...7291931&crdt=0

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2016 21:41, Julian Bradfield wrote:
While fixing the stair door today, I found that the door closer had
been (inadequately) fastened to the frame using a type of screw that
I've never seen before.
The screw is a straight cylinder, with a fairly low profile thread
(bit more than a bolt, but less than a wood screw thread); it has a
partly smooth shank; but unusually, part of the tip is also
unthreaded, and the tip is formed in a precise sharp conical
point. The unthreaded tip portion comprises the point and about 1.5mm
of cylindrical shank before the point.
It has a Pozidrive head, and is made of brass, if that's relevant.
What is it? I haven't even managed to google up any pictures of such a
screw.

Some sort of self-drilling screw?

A La :-
http://www.screwfix.com/p/easydrive-...200-pack/2022h

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MrCheerful wrote
Julian Bradfield wrote

While fixing the stair door today, I found that the door closer had been
(inadequately) fastened to the frame using a type of screw that I've
never seen before.

The screw is a straight cylinder, with a fairly low profile thread
(bit more than a bolt, but less than a wood screw thread); it has a
partly smooth shank; but unusually, part of the tip is also
unthreaded, and the tip is formed in a precise sharp conical
point. The unthreaded tip portion comprises the point and about 1.5mm of
cylindrical shank before the point.
It has a Pozidrive head, and is made of brass, if that's relevant.

What is it? I haven't even managed to google up any pictures of such a
screw.

You have described a drawer runner screw,

None of these have any smooth shank
https://www.google.com/search?q=draw...screw&tbm=isch
and given that they are deliberately short so they can be screwed into
the sides of drawers, they wouldn’t have any smooth shank.

No unthreaded tip either.

most flat pack furniture uses them for drawers a google search for drawer
runner screw brings them up first. They come in several sizes. Also used
to secure fans in computer cases. Screwfix used to sell them and still
do, but their catalogue is crap, look up online 89259 . I have used them
in awkward situations with hinges and odd jobs. Ikea would have some.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MrCheerful" wrote in message
On 04/12/2016 21:41, Julian Bradfield wrote:
While fixing the stair door today, I found that the door closer had
been (inadequately) fastened to the frame using a type of screw that
I've never seen before.

The screw is a straight cylinder, with a fairly low profile thread
(bit more than a bolt, but less than a wood screw thread); it has a
partly smooth shank; but unusually, part of the tip is also
unthreaded, and the tip is formed in a precise sharp conical
point. The unthreaded tip portion comprises the point and about 1.5mm
of cylindrical shank before the point.
It has a Pozidrive head, and is made of brass, if that's relevant.

What is it? I haven't even managed to google up any pictures of such a
screw.

here are some on ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/18235...7291931&crdt=0

That is nothing like his description, no smooth shank, no unthreaded tip.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-12-04, Tim+ wrote:
Julian Bradfield wrote:
While fixing the stair door today, I found that the door closer had
been (inadequately) fastened to the frame using a type of screw that
I've never seen before.

The screw is a straight cylinder, with a fairly low profile thread
(bit more than a bolt, but less than a wood screw thread); it has a
partly smooth shank; but unusually, part of the tip is also
unthreaded, and the tip is formed in a precise sharp conical
point. The unthreaded tip portion comprises the point and about 1.5mm
of cylindrical shank before the point.
It has a Pozidrive head, and is made of brass, if that's relevant.

What is it?

We'll share a picture of it and maybe I'll be tempted to hazard a guess.
;-)

OK, there's a picture at

http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/jcb/IM...205_101039.jpg

Just for clarity, I have no wish to obtain such a screw - I replaced it
with a plain old wood screw which does the job properly. I'm just
curious as to what it is, and why anyone would use it to try to screw
into wood!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2016 21:41, Julian Bradfield wrote:
While fixing the stair door today, I found that the door closer had
been (inadequately) fastened to the frame using a type of screw that
I've never seen before.

The screw is a straight cylinder, with a fairly low profile thread
(bit more than a bolt, but less than a wood screw thread); it has a
partly smooth shank; but unusually, part of the tip is also
unthreaded, and the tip is formed in a precise sharp conical
point. The unthreaded tip portion comprises the point and about 1.5mm
of cylindrical shank before the point.
It has a Pozidrive head, and is made of brass, if that's relevant.

What is it? I haven't even managed to google up any pictures of such a
screw.

You give no dimensions, but it sounds like it's some sort of pivot
where the conical part locates it accurately and the smooth part is used
as a bearing surface. Maybe it's used as a pivot joining the two door
closer arms. Maybe it's bronze. Maybe it's Maybelline. Clearly it's
not for use in securing the door closer, but it's all the fitter had and
he wanted to go home.

Cheers
--
Syd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Julian Bradfield wrote:
On 2016-12-04, Tim+ wrote:
Julian Bradfield wrote:
[...]

Looks like a screw left over from a "frame fixing" like this.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/easyfix-fr...-10-pack/19356

Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2016 10:35, Julian Bradfield wrote:
On 2016-12-04, Tim+ wrote:
Julian Bradfield wrote:
[...]

That is a hammer in screw, usually used as a frame fixing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-12-04, Tim+ wrote:
Julian Bradfield wrote:
[...]

Yup. And probably not brass, but zinc and passivated steel

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/12/2016 10:39, Syd Rumpo wrote:
[...]

Just seen the picture, clearly nothing like I thought.

Cheers
--
Syd

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-12-04, Tim+ wrote:
Julian Bradfield wrote:
[...]

If it was screwed straight into wood it was inappropriate, and
ineffective as the OP found. It was either used by accident by someone
who was wearing the wrong glasses, or deliberately by someone without a
proper screw who didn't care about it failing. Or perhaps used by
someone who didn't know what they were doing.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-12-04, Tim+ wrote:
Julian Bradfield wrote:
[...]

As in "Oh, look, this screw comes with a wall plug. I don't need that for
wood, so I'll remove it and just use the screw"

Delta Faucet set screw stuck, then hubby tried to drill out screw and broke off the tap out. what do i do now? Tammy Longest Home Repair 38 February 10th 18 02:44 AM
Strange triangular screw head Murmansk UK diy 26 December 3rd 15 08:41 PM
Stripped out screw holes in oak - repair or use larger screw? Dr. Deb[_5_] Woodworking 1 August 27th 15 09:13 PM
Strange screw head petek[_2_] UK diy 20 October 8th 14 10:20 PM
Genie Garage Door Opener screw drive - Screw coming apart timwilson Home Repair 3 June 24th 07 03:53 AM