Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Main sewer pipe anomaly

A CCTV sewer investigation survey , principally on neighbourhood 150
and 225mm and 300mm pipe runs has shown that the area outflow 450mm is
permanently filled with foul water for about .8 kilometres of run, with
gradient of only 1 in 600, to the sewage pump sump.
Nothing untoward has knowingly ever happened concerning this full pipe ,
but anything to be aware of?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/16 20:49, N_Cook wrote:
A CCTV sewer investigation survey , principally on neighbourhood 150
and 225mm and 300mm pipe runs has shown that the area outflow 450mm is
permanently filled with foul water for about .8 kilometres of run, with
gradient of only 1 in 600, to the sewage pump sump.
Nothing untoward has knowingly ever happened concerning this full pipe ,
but anything to be aware of?

It's not ideal, but if it gets a good sluice from time to time, it's
probably OK.

The danger is that solids can settle out and solidify further causing an
obstruction.

If it's been like that for years and the CCTV did not "bump" into
anything, I don;t see anything to worry about.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

N_Cook Wrote in message:
A CCTV sewer investigation survey , principally on neighbourhood 150
and 225mm and 300mm pipe runs has shown that the area outflow 450mm is
permanently filled with foul water for about .8 kilometres of run, with
gradient of only 1 in 600, to the sewage pump sump.
Nothing untoward has knowingly ever happened concerning this full pipe ,
but anything to be aware of?

Who was paying for that? And why?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/2016 08:49, Brian Gaff wrote:
The pong when its drained getting back I'd imagine is not going to be good.
brian

Luckily plenty of continuous ground water gets in the cracked and
displaced and non-junctioned or failed juctions between pipe sizes, to
keep stuff flowing it would seem. I could imagine that with full pipe
then accretions of fat ,tights,wet-wipes and such would build up on the
top and sides , as well as the bottom, but there never seems to have
been a complete blockage

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/2016 08:49, Brian Gaff wrote:
The pong when its drained getting back I'd imagine is not going to be good.
brian

Seeing your postscript, how do the blind get on with the plastic fivers?
As a non-offendable, non-intrusive validity test on receiving an
old-style note, not requiring me to put on my glasses, I would often run
a finger over the raised print of Bank of England .
The plastic notes seem to have slightly raised print there, but so
slight as not to be conclusive. Equally the clear panel is a bit more
slippy , but again a bit iffy.
I also happen to use this site sometimes
http://www.loband.org/loband/main
to get rid of a lot of the irrelevant crap that gets on websites these
days, not for text-to-speech but just to avoid engaging the dreaded
javascript
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
N_Cook writes:
On 01/12/2016 08:49, Brian Gaff wrote:
The pong when its drained getting back I'd imagine is not going to be good.
brian

Luckily plenty of continuous ground water gets in the cracked and
displaced and non-junctioned or failed juctions between pipe sizes, to
keep stuff flowing it would seem. I could imagine that with full pipe
then accretions of fat ,tights,wet-wipes and such would build up on the
top and sides , as well as the bottom, but there never seems to have
been a complete blockage

If you have any trees nearby, they will find and get into leaking
sewer pipes. If it's not leaking, they have no interest, but if it
is leaking, it's a big invitation.

My parents planted two willow trees when they moved in, and they
grew to be massive things like you find on river banks. A neighbour
on the other side of the road also planted one, and it never grow
more than about 12'. Well, it turned out the sewer ran down my
parents side, and it would seem that the clay pipes were installed
by laying in a trench and bucket of cement tipped over each join.
That's why the willow trees grew so big. Water company used to
have to come and pull out 20' lengths of matted tree root every
so often. Eventially they relined the sewer with a resin impregnated
sleeve, and it hasn't happened since that stopped the pipe leaking.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2016 10:22, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
N_Cook writes:
[...]

All very residential with roads rather than avenues , just scrub/shrubs
not trees. The sump+pump end does get troubles, but I don't think that
is really anything to do with permanently full 450mm pipe. When there is
a local cloudburst and the area of the sewage pumps flood, there must be
a flood-activated floatswitch and tha cuts out the pump, presumably to
save burning up they're equipment, the result is they get flooded with
sewage, from roof-run off going in the sewers rather than soak-aways. I
suspect the constant level of water in the non-full section of pipe is
due to normal activation of the pump , via another float switch

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2016 10:22, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
If you have any trees nearby, they will find and get into leaking
sewer pipes. If it's not leaking, they have no interest, but if it
is leaking, it's a big invitation.

My parents planted two willow trees when they moved in, and they
grew to be massive things like you find on river banks. A neighbour
on the other side of the road also planted one, and it never grow
more than about 12'. Well, it turned out the sewer ran down my
parents side, and it would seem that the clay pipes were installed
by laying in a trench and bucket of cement tipped over each join.
That's why the willow trees grew so big. Water company used to
have to come and pull out 20' lengths of matted tree root every
so often. Eventially they relined the sewer with a resin impregnated
sleeve, and it hasn't happened since that stopped the pipe leaking.

Willows are particularly notorious for that.

Some years ago there was one in our back garden, 30ft from any house. It
had to come down, it was damaging things. (we only know because the
searches found the insurance claim)

Andy