Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Antique Furniture Care

We just moved into a house, where the prior owners agreed to leave
several wood antique furniture items. The desk, maybe 200 years ol.d
There is a "church bench" and a coffee table - each maybe 150+ years
old.

There is also an OLD antique bed frame, with High corner posts. it
was made in Spain, maybe 125+ years ago. I doubt that item needs any
"maitenance" care?

I am from the Ikea era, aka clueless clearly inept!! Any suggestions
on how those antiques should be "handled"? I know I need to avoid
"Pledge", beyond that clueless.

I would be most appreciative of any advise!! -dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/16 19:54, Dave C wrote:
We just moved into a house, where the prior owners agreed to leave
several wood antique furniture items. The desk, maybe 200 years ol.d
There is a "church bench" and a coffee table - each maybe 150+ years
old.

There is also an OLD antique bed frame, with High corner posts. it
was made in Spain, maybe 125+ years ago. I doubt that item needs any
"maitenance" care?

I am from the Ikea era, aka clueless clearly inept!! Any suggestions
on how those antiques should be "handled"? I know I need to avoid
"Pledge", beyond that clueless.

I would be most appreciative of any advise!! -dave

pledeg is OK. Just occasionally rub some beeswax into em

--
€œIt is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.€

Thomas Sowell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, November 29, 2016 at 8:26:27 PM UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 29/11/16 19:54, Dave C wrote:
We just moved into a house, where the prior owners agreed to leave
several wood antique furniture items. The desk, maybe 200 years ol.d
There is a "church bench" and a coffee table - each maybe 150+ years
old.

There is also an OLD antique bed frame, with High corner posts. it
was made in Spain, maybe 125+ years ago. I doubt that item needs any
"maitenance" care?

I am from the Ikea era, aka clueless clearly inept!! Any suggestions
on how those antiques should be "handled"? I know I need to avoid
"Pledge", beyond that clueless.

I would be most appreciative of any advise!! -dave

pledeg is OK. Just occasionally rub some beeswax into em

--
€œIt is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.€

Thomas Sowell

Pledge will do nothing for it. Give it a good clean and then treat it with a good paste wax suxh as Liberon or Briwax.

If you're up to it check the joints for looseness or wobble. If concerened and you don't feel confident then contact an expert.

If they have no value to you put them up on eBay. Someone may appreciate them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/16 19:54, Dave C wrote:
We just moved into a house, where the prior owners agreed to leave
several wood antique furniture items. The desk, maybe 200 years ol.d
There is a "church bench" and a coffee table - each maybe 150+ years
old.

There is also an OLD antique bed frame, with High corner posts. it
was made in Spain, maybe 125+ years ago. I doubt that item needs any
"maitenance" care?

I am from the Ikea era, aka clueless clearly inept!! Any suggestions
on how those antiques should be "handled"? I know I need to avoid
"Pledge", beyond that clueless.

I would be most appreciative of any advise!! -dave

pledeg is OK. Just occasionally rub some beeswax into em

Briwax P7 Original. It's what Lovejoy (and real dealers) use

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2016 19:54, Dave C wrote:
We just moved into a house, where the prior owners agreed to leave
several wood antique furniture items. The desk, maybe 200 years ol.d
There is a "church bench" and a coffee table - each maybe 150+ years
old.

There is also an OLD antique bed frame, with High corner posts. it
was made in Spain, maybe 125+ years ago. I doubt that item needs any
"maitenance" care?

I am from the Ikea era, aka clueless clearly inept!! Any suggestions
on how those antiques should be "handled"? I know I need to avoid
"Pledge", beyond that clueless.

I would be most appreciative of any advise!! -dave

Depends on what needs doing to them. If they are in good condition, then
the occasional polish with a decent wax like Liberon black bison (either
the clear, or one close to the colour of the piece). If its finish is a
little rough or has some dirt buildup, then applying the wax with a wad
of 0000 wire wool will help shift the dirt and smooth out the finish.
Buff after the wax has sat to dry for a few mins.

If they need more extensive cleaning and repair, then go check out the
youtube vids by the The English Polisher:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOr...je_oQahoCJEEWQ

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 29 November 2016 19:54:23 UTC, Dave C wrote:
We just moved into a house, where the prior owners agreed to leave
several wood antique furniture items. The desk, maybe 200 years ol.d
There is a "church bench" and a coffee table - each maybe 150+ years
old.

There is also an OLD antique bed frame, with High corner posts. it
was made in Spain, maybe 125+ years ago. I doubt that item needs any
"maitenance" care?

I am from the Ikea era, aka clueless clearly inept!! Any suggestions
on how those antiques should be "handled"? I know I need to avoid
"Pledge", beyond that clueless.

I would be most appreciative of any advise!! -dave

In days of yore they used French polish which is very fragile compared with today's finishes. (Shellac base.)
Won't stand any heat or fluids.
Be careful with hot plates/cups etc.
Steal some beer mats/place mats. :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 09:19:39 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

[...]

On day one, I bought a large sheet of acetate - to cover the entire
top/ writing surface, to protect it from liquids
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

How I dealt with french polish

1/. Use pledge to dust it.
2/. If it gets marked by water or heat, simply get some surgical spirit
and rub it over with that. This dissolves and resets the shellac,
3/. Apply wax polish afterwards

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave C wrote

We just moved into a house, where the prior owners agreed to leave
several wood antique furniture items. The desk, maybe 200 years ol.d
There is a "church bench" and a coffee table - each maybe 150+ years
old.

Did they have coffee tables 150+ years ago ?

There is also an OLD antique bed frame, with High corner posts. it
was made in Spain, maybe 125+ years ago. I doubt that item needs any
"maitenance" care?

I am from the Ikea era, aka clueless clearly inept!! Any suggestions
on how those antiques should be "handled"? I know I need to avoid
"Pledge", beyond that clueless.

I would be most appreciative of any advise!! -dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 10:41:26 +0000, Stuart Noble

On 29/11/16 19:54, Dave C wrote:
We just moved into a house, where the prior owners agreed to leave
several wood antique furniture items. The desk, maybe 200 years ol.d
There is a "church bench" and a coffee table - each maybe 150+ years
old.

There is also an OLD antique bed frame, with High corner posts. it
was made in Spain, maybe 125+ years ago. I doubt that item needs any
"maitenance" care?

I am from the Ikea era, aka clueless clearly inept!! Any suggestions
on how those antiques should be "handled"? I know I need to avoid
"Pledge", beyond that clueless.

I would be most appreciative of any advise!! -dave

pledeg is OK. Just occasionally rub some beeswax into em

Briwax P7 Original. It's what Lovejoy (and real dealers) use

---

Stuart

I am (obviously) aware that I am responding to an OLD post !! Still I
Really wanted to tell you how happy I am with the Briwax. I just
received the can. I am AMAZED at how well that product "worked" on my
centuroes old antiques. The most noteable improved appearnce was where
old water spots were present.

For certain, less your post, I would never have know of thta product!!
Thanks !!

Antique Furniture oldplank Home Repair 0 September 9th 12 06:28 PM
supply the wooden bathroom furniture and antique furniture from China OLIVER UK diy 0 September 30th 08 08:13 AM
Decorating With Oak Furniture (antique oak furniture) [email protected] Woodworking 0 May 2nd 08 03:06 AM
Smell from antique furniture Scabbydug UK diy 12 October 6th 07 07:09 PM
Help with Antique Unfinished wood care? [email protected] Woodworking 2 April 15th 06 10:47 PM