Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Smell from antique furniture

Son and wife to be have bought an old chest of drawers, (antique I think) it
smells old as it should do and thats how they like it.
The have been keeping bedding & suchlike in it but the old smell seems to
cling to the contents.
Anyone have any ideas how to neutralise the musty smell of the furniture
without reducing it's potential value as an antique?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Scabbydug" wrote in message
Son and wife to be have bought an old chest of drawers, (antique I think)

it
smells old as it should do and thats how they like it.
The have been keeping bedding & suchlike in it but the old smell seems to
cling to the contents.
Anyone have any ideas how to neutralise the musty smell of the furniture
without reducing it's potential value as an antique?

Thought you said they like it smelling old? you could try bees waxing the
drawers inners?
You sure its not wood rot? careful examination the chest and drawers for
tiny spors will be apparent if it is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 18:40:33 +0100, "Scabbydug"
wrote:

Son and wife to be have bought an old chest of drawers, (antique I think) it
smells old as it should do and thats how they like it.
The have been keeping bedding & suchlike in it but the old smell seems to
cling to the contents.
Anyone have any ideas how to neutralise the musty smell of the furniture
without reducing it's potential value as an antique?

Probably had camphor or mothballs in it since it was made.

Rubbing the inside with talcum powder, particularly a smelly one can
help
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Scabbydug" wrote in message
Son and wife to be have bought an old chest of drawers, (antique I think)
it smells old as it should do and thats how they like it.
The have been keeping bedding & suchlike in it but the old smell seems to
cling to the contents.
Anyone have any ideas how to neutralise the musty smell of the furniture
without reducing it's potential value as an antique?

scented draw liners?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 18:40:33 +0100, Scabbydug wrote:

Son and wife to be have bought an old chest of drawers, (antique I think)
it smells old as it should do and thats how they like it. The have been
keeping bedding & suchlike in it but the old smell seems to cling to the
contents.
Anyone have any ideas how to neutralise the musty smell of the furniture
without reducing it's potential value as an antique?

===================================
Sprinkle liberally with baking powder (bicarbonate of soda) making sure
you get the powder into any cracks or crevices. Leave for a few days and
then vacuum thoroughly.

Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Son and wife to be have bought an old chest of drawers, (antique I think)
it smells old as it should do and thats how they like it. The have been
keeping bedding & suchlike in it but the old smell seems to cling to the
contents.
Anyone have any ideas how to neutralise the musty smell of the furniture
without reducing it's potential value as an antique?

===================================
Sprinkle liberally with baking powder (bicarbonate of soda) making sure
you get the powder into any cracks or crevices. Leave for a few days and
then vacuum thoroughly.

Thanks to all who have responded, the baking powder idea seems like the sort
of traditional solution that they would like.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scabbydug wrote:

Thanks to all who have responded, the baking powder idea seems like the sort
of traditional solution that they would like.

Not baking powder - baking _soda_ (they're not the same thing).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 19:45:44 -0400, S Viemeister wrote:

Scabbydug wrote:

Thanks to all who have responded, the baking powder idea seems like the
sort of traditional solution that they would like.

Not baking powder - baking _soda_ (they're not the same thing).

==================================
But both contain the active ingredient, bicarbonate of soda / sodium
bicarbonate.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scabbydug wrote:

Thanks to all who have responded, the baking powder idea seems like the
sort of traditional solution that they would like.

Not baking powder - baking _soda_ (they're not the same thing).

==================================
But both contain the active ingredient, bicarbonate of soda / sodium
bicarbonate.

Cic.

Not these days. Used to be bicarb with citric acid (aka bath bomb), but
can now be sodium phosphate IIRC. I guess they thought it might explode
on the shelves.
Just buy the bicarb at any supermarket
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 5, 9:07 pm, Owain wrote:
Scabbydug wrote:
Son and wife to be have bought an old chest of drawers, (antique I think) it
smells old as it should do and thats how they like it.
The have been keeping bedding & suchlike in it but the old smell seems to
cling to the contents.
Anyone have any ideas how to neutralise the musty smell of the furniture
without reducing it's potential value as an antique?

(a) deodorising cat litter
(b) if something has impregnated the wood, and it's not an antique,
lightly sanding the interior surfaces before adding cat litter may help.

....but do make sure there are no cats around! ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Oct, 18:40, "Scabbydug" wrote:
Son and wife to be have bought an old chest of drawers, (antique I think) it
smells old as it should do and thats how they like it.
The have been keeping bedding & suchlike in it but the old smell seems to
cling to the contents.
Anyone have any ideas how to neutralise the musty smell of the furniture
without reducing it's potential value as an antique?

Try activated charcoal
Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mathew Newton" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 5, 9:07 pm, Owain wrote:
Scabbydug wrote:
Son and wife to be have bought an old chest of drawers, (antique I
think) it
smells old as it should do and thats how they like it.
The have been keeping bedding & suchlike in it but the old smell seems
cling to the contents.
Anyone have any ideas how to neutralise the musty smell of the
furniture
without reducing it's potential value as an antique?

(a) deodorising cat litter
(b) if something has impregnated the wood, and it's not an antique,
lightly sanding the interior surfaces before adding cat litter may help.

...but do make sure there are no cats around! ;-)

Hmm, like that, appeals to my sense of humour.