Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Using Geocel 'The Works' in a shower instead of silicone.

Using Geocel 'The Works' in a shower instead of silicone.
Has anyone tried this?
I am fed up with the silicone going mouldy and am looking for an alternative.

Thanks

Brendan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Rednadnerb Wrote in message:
Using Geocel 'The Works' in a shower instead of silicone.
Has anyone tried this?
I am fed up with the silicone going mouldy and am looking for an alternative.

Thanks

Brendan.

Would that be a "modified silicone"? Plenty about besides "the
works"mind.

I have used it in bathrooms on occasion for its extra adhesive
properties, where ordinary silicone has failed. Seems to work
well in many applications.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, I should have said 'or similar product'

I have no idea what they are made of but they all seem to come under the heading of 'weatherproof sealants' - can be used in damp conditions, paintable with most paints - resists mould growth' so it doesn't sound anything like silicone.

Mind you I've used plenty of silicone products that claim to be mould resistant and they should be done under the sales description act.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/2016 01:31, jim wrote:
Rednadnerb Wrote in message:
Using Geocel 'The Works' in a shower instead of silicone.
Has anyone tried this?
I am fed up with the silicone going mouldy and am looking for an alternative.

Thanks

Brendan.

Would that be a "modified silicone"? Plenty about besides "the
works"mind.

ITYM Modified Silane - a difference class of product from silicone based
sealants.

I have used it in bathrooms on occasion for its extra adhesive
properties, where ordinary silicone has failed. Seems to work
well in many applications.

I have also used it for a shower. It stays bonded very well, but still
supports mould growth alas.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ah. Not so good then.

Sikaflex? has anyone ever used that in a shower?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 25/11/2016 01:31, jim wrote:
Rednadnerb Wrote in message:
Using Geocel 'The Works' in a shower instead of silicone.
Has anyone tried this?
I am fed up with the silicone going mouldy and am looking for an alternative.

Thanks

Brendan.

Would that be a "modified silicone"? Plenty about besides "the
works"mind.

ITYM Modified Silane - a difference class of product from silicone based
sealants.

silyl-modified polyethers & polyurethanes then?
;-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 24 November 2016 23:43:30 UTC, Rednadnerb wrote:
Using Geocel 'The Works' in a shower instead of silicone.
Has anyone tried this?
I am fed up with the silicone going mouldy and am looking for an alternative.

Thanks

Brendan.

Just use bleach on the silicone, it's pretty effortless.

NT

Shower silicone rick UK diy 1 March 22nd 16 10:33 PM
Mold And Silicone/RTV In Shower ? Robert11[_3_] Home Repair 5 March 15th 12 01:20 AM
Silicone for Shower Ross Payne Home Repair 16 March 1st 07 02:07 AM
Is mould inevitable on silicone in a shower? Sal UK diy 16 January 20th 07 02:49 AM
Setting shower tray on silicone - what about the rim? Mike Armstrong UK diy 6 February 12th 05 09:07 AM