Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Setting fire to a (flexible liner-ed) chimney to clear a squirrel nest

Our woes with our chimney continue... it's still damp despite having been rebuilt above roof level and then reprinted..... but I digress. We had a new cowl fitted which was supposed to cure the damp. But it had no bird guards and squirrels got in and built a nest.....

So the chimney sweep came to call.....

Or rather another chimney sweep that he had subbed the work to as his van was off the road.

My mother in law "baby sat" the sweep as we were at work (we shawl the ask her to do this sort of stuff again. It's just not fair on her).

We came home to a very smelly house and a very sooty (horizontal surfaces) sitting room.

Mum's version of what happened is

"He said he would look at the chimney with the squirrel's nest first. He set out his dust sheets and started working with his rods. It took a very long time to get a small amount down. He carried on with his rods. Eventually, he got a similar amount down. He could not shift any more with his rods. He said the only way to clear the nest was to set it on fire. I expressed my concern. He said that it would not damage the chimney lining and indicated that it was a normal way to deal with it as he could see I was unsure. He went to his van and came back with a roll of blue paper roller towel he started unrolling it and scrunching it up. I said that if he had to use that method to clear the chimney that he should use newspaper. He took some out of the log basket, agreeing that it would be better. He pushed it up the chimney and went outside to make sure the smoke was going out. He came back in and said that it was so it was doing alright. I went and stood outside for a while to keep an eye on it. Eventually, the smoke changed from grey to black. I wonder if the blackened door (on the wood burner) was because he burned the blue roller paper in the stove ... Which may have caused the black smoke as it was not likely to burn well. He assured me that it was all cleared. I asked about the soot. He told me that there had hardly been any as he thought that the squirrels had kept it clean going up and down. It was all fine."

We are wary of lighting the fire as we are not convinced the chimney is clear.

I spoke to the original sweep who spoke to the sub-contractor who gave a different story of having cleared it all with rods and then burnt the debris/waste in the wood burner (why would you??). He gave me the second guy's number and was keen for me to do any "sorting out" with him (but my contract was with the first guy, and the second guy asked for the cheque to be made out to the first guy.

Anyway, questions for the panel....

Is setting fire to a flexi lined chimney an acceptable way to clear it.

If he did it is it likely to have been successful?

is he likely to have damaged the liner?

How should I proceed?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Wrote in message:
[...]

Light a small fire & see what happens.

If it's not ok ring the first guy, if necessary politely remind
him he has your money, & it is his reputation you were relying
on.

Ask him politely what he intends to do & stress you have already
paid him & want it sorting asap.

Did he put the cowl on?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , jim
writes
Wrote in message:

How should I proceed?

Light a small fire & see what happens.

A good time of year to add leaves, which will produce plenty of smoke,
so you can easily see the result from outside. Alternatively, use one
of those purple smoke things. Packs available via eBay, although I
bought a single one from local iron monger. Looks like an old Mount
Vesuvius conical firework.

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/18/2016 10:52 AM, wrote:

[...]

he SHOULD have sent a wee boy up .....

--
Beat fraud ... tug a wig
I like to live as a poor man, but with lots of money

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd think if the nest was close to the top some kind of inspection from
there maybe using a camera might be the best way. Chimneys are a pain in
most cases. maybe we have just lost the expertise or modern liners have made
things a lot more complicated than they used to be. I can recall chimney
fires were quite regular things when I was young and we still used coal.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/11/2016 10:52, wrote:

" He said the only way to clear the nest was to
set it on fire.

It used to be illegal to set fire to your chimney to clean them out ....
Google this - may find it still is.
In any event would not have wanted to set fore to a liner.

100mm flexible flue liner, and fixing same AL_n UK diy 5 September 9th 11 05:32 PM
Ventilating Disused Chimney with Flexible Flue Liner Mike UK diy 0 November 2nd 05 10:47 AM
Chimney Liner DSegal1027 Home Repair 0 January 21st 05 02:39 AM
Chimney Liner DSegal1027 Home Repair 1 January 19th 05 03:26 AM
New chimney liner nex barry martin Home Repair 1 October 19th 04 05:27 PM