Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Default FIFA are ****s

In article ,
tim... wrote:
Two former churches near me have been turned into residential flats.
Much more environmentally friendly than knocking them down, clearing
the rubble and building new.

Jim

It's rare for that to be possible

the location of the windows don't usually suit conversion to anything
other that a single unit with very high ceilings

Depends what you want. No reason not to fill in the windows and make new
ones. Unless you want the church to still look like a church, of course.
Which doesn't make much sense since it's no longer one.

Of course many may think them handsome public buildings to be kept as is,
looks wise. For aesthetic reasons.

--
*Half the people in the world are below average.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

ISTR the BBC Manchester OB vehicle garage was in an old chucrh on the
A6 in or near Stockport.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

All churches should be blown to smithereens. Waste of ****ing space
they are.

Even if you did that the faithful would gather together.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 18/11/2016 13:58, tim... wrote:

It's rare for that to be possible

the location of the windows don't usually suit conversion to anything
other that a single unit with very high ceilings

I've worked on two church to flat conversion jobs. Yes the positions of
the windows did prove problematic.

In one such they had a ground floor flat at the bottom of the tower.
This had a suspended ceiling at the normal modern height. It was a
suspended ceiling. I lifted a ceiling tile and to my surprise found that
there was a huge empty space above me. I couldn't have slept in there
knowing that there was a 60ft space above me with dodgy old masonry at
the top.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 09:57:40 -0000, Indy Jess wrote:

Two former churches near me have been turned into residential flats.
Much more environmentally friendly than knocking them down, clearing the
rubble and building new.

That's unusual. The in thing seems to be to demolish everything in the name of safety.

It might just be financial.
If you modify an existing building, you pay VAT.
If you demolish it and build new, it is zero rated.

Of course there are other financial inputs and that affects the profits,
and so it can be beneficial to reuse the old. But the difference
between VAT at 20% and at 0% is significant, and can skew the decision.

Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 21:12:01 -0000, Indy Jess John wrote:

On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 09:57:40 -0000, Indy Jess wrote:

Two former churches near me have been turned into residential flats.
Much more environmentally friendly than knocking them down, clearing the
rubble and building new.

That's unusual. The in thing seems to be to demolish everything in the name of safety.

It might just be financial.
If you modify an existing building, you pay VAT.
If you demolish it and build new, it is zero rated.

Of course there are other financial inputs and that affects the profits,
and so it can be beneficial to reuse the old. But the difference
between VAT at 20% and at 0% is significant, and can skew the decision.

Why on earth are the government doing that?

--
Marital Status: Not Good
Wife's Name: Plaintiff

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 20:27:33 -0000, Bill Wright wrote:

On 18/11/2016 13:58, tim... wrote:

It's rare for that to be possible

the location of the windows don't usually suit conversion to anything
other that a single unit with very high ceilings

I've worked on two church to flat conversion jobs. Yes the positions of
the windows did prove problematic.

In one such they had a ground floor flat at the bottom of the tower.
This had a suspended ceiling at the normal modern height. It was a
suspended ceiling. I lifted a ceiling tile and to my surprise found that
there was a huge empty space above me. I couldn't have slept in there
knowing that there was a 60ft space above me with dodgy old masonry at
the top.

What a waste of 60 ft.

--
Why do tourists go to the top of tall buildings and then put money in telescopes so they can see things on the ground in close-up?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 20:20:52 -0000, Bill Wright wrote:

All churches should be blown to smithereens. Waste of ****ing space
they are.

Even if you did that the faithful would gather together.

Easier to bomb them in the open.

--
Why do tourists go to the top of tall buildings and then put money in telescopes so they can see things on the ground in close-up?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 21:12:01 -0000, Indy Jess wrote:

On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 09:57:40 -0000, Indy Jess wrote:

Two former churches near me have been turned into residential flats.
Much more environmentally friendly than knocking them down, clearing the
rubble and building new.

That's unusual. The in thing seems to be to demolish everything in the name of safety.

It might just be financial.
If you modify an existing building, you pay VAT.
If you demolish it and build new, it is zero rated.

Of course there are other financial inputs and that affects the profits,
and so it can be beneficial to reuse the old. But the difference
between VAT at 20% and at 0% is significant, and can skew the decision.

Why on earth are the government doing that?

They have been told many times, by many developers, and it hasn't made a
scrap of difference.

Everyone except the Government knows it is stupid.

Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

wrote:

On 18/11/2016 13:58, tim... wrote:

It's rare for that to be possible

the location of the windows don't usually suit conversion to anything
other that a single unit with very high ceilings

I've worked on two church to flat conversion jobs. Yes the positions of
the windows did prove problematic.

In one such they had a ground floor flat at the bottom of the tower.
This had a suspended ceiling at the normal modern height. It was a
suspended ceiling. I lifted a ceiling tile and to my surprise found that
there was a huge empty space above me. I couldn't have slept in there
knowing that there was a 60ft space above me with dodgy old masonry at
the top.

What a waste of 60 ft.

I don't know why they did it. The whole tower was empty except for the
ground floor flat. The rest of the building was used to the fullest
possible extent. Could have been a planning issue: windows in the tower.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

news
wrote:

On 18/11/2016 13:58, tim... wrote:

It's rare for that to be possible

the location of the windows don't usually suit conversion to anything
other that a single unit with very high ceilings

I've worked on two church to flat conversion jobs. Yes the positions of
the windows did prove problematic.

In one such they had a ground floor flat at the bottom of the tower.
This had a suspended ceiling at the normal modern height. It was a
suspended ceiling. I lifted a ceiling tile and to my surprise found that
there was a huge empty space above me. I couldn't have slept in there
knowing that there was a 60ft space above me with dodgy old masonry at
the top.

What a waste of 60 ft.

I don't know why they did it.

Because it was the simplest and cheapest approach.

The whole tower was empty except for the ground floor flat.

And it wouldn't have been practical to have other stuff above it.

The rest of the building was used to the fullest possible extent. Could
have been a planning issue: windows in the tower.

Much more likely it just wasn't feasible to provide access and windows etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 19/11/2016 04:26, Rod Speed wrote:

What a waste of 60 ft.

I don't know why they did it.

Because it was the simplest and cheapest approach.

But they lost three flats! They had twelve to sell when they could have
had fifteen!

The whole tower was empty except for the ground floor flat.

And it wouldn't have been practical to have other stuff above it.

The rest of the building was used to the fullest possible extent.
Could have been a planning issue: windows in the tower.

Much more likely it just wasn't feasible to provide access and windows etc.

Staircase. Windows. Both present little difficulty to the experienced
converters of old buildings.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

Bill Wright wrote
Rod Speed wrote

What a waste of 60 ft.

I don't know why they did it.

Because it was the simplest and cheapest approach.

But they lost three flats!

That could only be provided very expensively and so
wouldn't have returned the cost of providing them.

They had twelve to sell when they could have had fifteen!

For less for the 4 in the tower than would have cost to provide them.

The whole tower was empty except for the ground floor flat.

And it wouldn't have been practical to have other stuff above it.

The rest of the building was used to the fullest possible extent.
Could have been a planning issue: windows in the tower.

Much more likely it just wasn't feasible to provide access and windows
etc.

Staircase.

That would have meant that that space wasn't available for
the 4 flats in that tower, which was already short of space.

Windows. Both present little difficulty to the experienced converters of
old buildings.

Bull**** on the space.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
tim... wrote:
Two former churches near me have been turned into residential flats.
Much more environmentally friendly than knocking them down, clearing
the rubble and building new.

Jim

It's rare for that to be possible

the location of the windows don't usually suit conversion to anything
other that a single unit with very high ceilings

Depends what you want. No reason not to fill in the windows and make new
ones. Unless you want the church to still look like a church, of course.
Which doesn't make much sense since it's no longer one.

For "historic" style church properties most councils wont let you put in new
windows, except perhaps Velux ones in the roof.

You usually have to work with then openings that you already have.

Of course many may think them handsome public buildings to be kept as is,
looks wise. For aesthetic reasons.

I don't. Local council official often do

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:
Depends what you want. No reason not to fill in the windows and make
new ones. Unless you want the church to still look like a church, of
course. Which doesn't make much sense since it's no longer one.

For "historic" style church properties most councils wont let you put in
new windows, except perhaps Velux ones in the roof.

Yes. I realise that.

You usually have to work with then openings that you already have.

Of course many may think them handsome public buildings to be kept as
is, looks wise. For aesthetic reasons.

I don't. Local council official often do

And rightly so. Getting their own back for not being allowed to build
decent houses for rent themselves.

--
*Cover me. I'm changing lanes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

In article ,
charles wrote:
In Edinburgh - very close to the New Town a redundant church was turneg
into an electricity substaion.

I'll bet that generated a few complaints.

--
*Some people are only alive because it is illegal to kill.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 18:50:39 -0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
charles wrote:
In Edinburgh - very close to the New Town a redundant church was turneg
into an electricity substaion.

I'll bet that generated a few complaints.

You're such a bright spark today, coming up with things like that.

--
Never have I seen a word as accurate as politics.
Poly meaning many, and tic being a blood-sucking thing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 20/11/2016 18:08, charles wrote:

In Edinburgh - very close to the New Town a redundant church was turneg
into an electricity substaion.

Once when I was plotting a route north through London from some
God-forsaken place I saw a redundant church that was in use as a radio
communications tower. It was thoroughly festooned and looked most
peculiar. The only thing I can remember is that it was near a
wedge-shaped one way system.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 22:48:48 -0000, Bill Wright wrote:

On 20/11/2016 18:08, charles wrote:

In Edinburgh - very close to the New Town a redundant church was turneg
into an electricity substaion.

Once when I was plotting a route north through London from some
God-forsaken place I saw a redundant church that was in use as a radio
communications tower. It was thoroughly festooned and looked most
peculiar. The only thing I can remember is that it was near a
wedge-shaped one way system.

One way systems are the work of the devil. All they do is make people drive round and round getting lost and polluting and congesting the place.

--
Hey diddle diddle the cat took a piddle,
All over the bedside clock.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
On 20/11/2016 18:08, charles wrote:

In Edinburgh - very close to the New Town a redundant church was turneg
into an electricity substaion.

Once when I was plotting a route north through London from some
God-forsaken place I saw a redundant church that was in use as a radio
communications tower. It was thoroughly festooned and looked most
peculiar. The only thing I can remember is that it was near a
wedge-shaped one way system.

Perhaps most churches have 'cell' aerials in their steeples.

--
*Errors have been made. Others will be blamed.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
On 20/11/2016 18:08, charles wrote:

In Edinburgh - very close to the New Town a redundant church was
turneg into an electricity substaion.

Once when I was plotting a route north through London from some
God-forsaken place I saw a redundant church that was in use as a radio
communications tower. It was thoroughly festooned and looked most
peculiar. The only thing I can remember is that it was near a
wedge-shaped one way system.

Perhaps most churches have 'cell' aerials in their steeples.

The "angel" on top of Guildford Cathedral is certainly one.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 20 November 2016 22:48:50 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
On 20/11/2016 18:08, charles wrote:

In Edinburgh - very close to the New Town a redundant church was turneg
into an electricity substaion.

Once when I was plotting a route north through London from some
God-forsaken place I saw a redundant church that was in use as a radio
communications tower. It was thoroughly festooned and looked most
peculiar. The only thing I can remember is that it was near a
wedge-shaped one way system.

Bill

Wasn't the limelight an old church around the liecester square area.
I've been to nightclubs that have been squatting in strange places.
The old bank near angel tube, islington water works, a church in holborn the old EMI bilding near denmark street.
I missed out on the iranian embessy had a bloody sticking cold IIRC.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

In article , Bill Wright
scribeth thus
On 20/11/2016 18:08, charles wrote:

In Edinburgh - very close to the New Town a redundant church was turneg
into an electricity substaion.

Once when I was plotting a route north through London from some
God-forsaken place I saw a redundant church that was in use as a radio
communications tower. It was thoroughly festooned and looked most
peculiar. The only thing I can remember is that it was near a
wedge-shaped one way system.

Bill

Yes seen it in North London somewhere, used to go that way a lot many
years ago...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
djc djc is offline

On 21/11/16 22:00, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Bill Wright
scribeth thus
On 20/11/2016 18:08, charles wrote:

In Edinburgh - very close to the New Town a redundant church was turneg
into an electricity substaion.

Once when I was plotting a route north through London from some
God-forsaken place I saw a redundant church that was in use as a radio
communications tower. It was thoroughly festooned and looked most
peculiar. The only thing I can remember is that it was near a
wedge-shaped one way system.

Bill

Yes seen it in North London somewhere, used to go that way a lot many
years ago...

Camden Pk Rd?

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

In article , DJC scribeth
thus
On 21/11/16 22:00, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Bill Wright
scribeth thus
On 20/11/2016 18:08, charles wrote:

In Edinburgh - very close to the New Town a redundant church was turneg
into an electricity substaion.
Once when I was plotting a route north through London from some
God-forsaken place I saw a redundant church that was in use as a radio
communications tower. It was thoroughly festooned and looked most
peculiar. The only thing I can remember is that it was near a
wedge-shaped one way system.

Bill

Yes seen it in North London somewhere, used to go that way a lot many
years ago...

Camden Pk Rd?

=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sIdNZTqrpLZo62BsMYK30zQ!2e0!7i1331 2!8i6656

Yep that's the one!

Used to pass that on our way home back from the old roundhouse after
gigs and that!...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 22/11/16 21:41, tony sayer wrote:
In article , DJC scribeth
thus
[...]

Going where? I always used to exit the A41/finchley road way.

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher
scribeth thus
On 22/11/16 21:41, tony sayer wrote:
In article , DJC scribeth
thus
On 21/11/16 22:00, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Bill Wright
scribeth thus
On 20/11/2016 18:08, charles wrote:

In Edinburgh - very close to the New Town a redundant church was turneg
into an electricity substaion.
Once when I was plotting a route north through London from some
God-forsaken place I saw a redundant church that was in use as a radio
communications tower. It was thoroughly festooned and looked most
peculiar. The only thing I can remember is that it was near a
wedge-shaped one way system.

Bill

Yes seen it in North London somewhere, used to go that way a lot many
years ago...

Camden Pk Rd?

ta
=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sIdNZTqrpLZo62BsMYK30zQ!2e0!7i13312 !8i6656

Yep that's the one!

Used to pass that on our way home back from the old roundhouse after
gigs and that!...

Going where? I always used to exit the A41/finchley road way.

Well we always had someone to drop off here and there - but to Cambridge
basically

--
Tony Sayer

Bancom Communications U.K. Tel+44 1223 566577 Fax+44 1223 566588

4 Wingate close, Cambridge, England, CB2 9HW E-Mail

FIFA are twats Brian Gaff UK diy 84 November 14th 16 03:02 AM
latest news FIFA World Cup 2010 grace lily UK diy 10 June 29th 10 06:47 PM
fifa 2006 crack [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 21st 08 09:00 AM
screwfix twats [email protected] UK diy 2 April 6th 06 04:18 PM