Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mystery Aqualisa shower leak

Installed 1995 and OK until someone else used it!

The thermostatic shower body outlet is plumbed in 22mm copper and now
leaking at the seal. Bearing in mind this is the low pressure side, I
expected but failed to find some obvious fault and wonder if the
original installer got something wrong.

The seal assembly consists of a steel gripper ring followed by an L
shaped plastic washer and then an O ring. A plastic *nut* tightens on to
the O ring and is threaded externally.

No amount of tightening would make the O ring seal and I am now at the
stage of adding ptfe tape, So far without success.

I have not found an assembly diagram on line and the manufacturers
spares list doesn't recognise my model number (600.21)

I wonder if this is an adaptation of the Speedfit etc. connector of
which I have no experience.

Any advice other than take a bath?
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/16/2016 9:05 PM, Tim Lamb wrote:
Installed 1995 and OK until someone else used it!

The thermostatic shower body outlet is plumbed in 22mm copper and now
leaking at the seal. Bearing in mind this is the low pressure side, I
expected but failed to find some obvious fault and wonder if the
original installer got something wrong.

The seal assembly consists of a steel gripper ring followed by an L
shaped plastic washer and then an O ring. A plastic *nut* tightens on to
the O ring and is threaded externally.

No amount of tightening would make the O ring seal and I am now at the
stage of adding ptfe tape, So far without success.

I have not found an assembly diagram on line and the manufacturers
spares list doesn't recognise my model number (600.21)

I wonder if this is an adaptation of the Speedfit etc. connector of
which I have no experience.

Any advice other than take a bath?

I have fixed things like this in the past by filling up the space with
silicone rubber before reassembling. Clean and dry it out as much as
possible first, of course. Nothing much to lose!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
newshound writes
[...]

Progress. I have confirmed the assembly is correct. David has kindly
sent me a breakdown of a similar model.

I am currently thinking the *grip ring* is not doing a proper job. So
far I have not tried to find a source of spares.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

In message ,
newshound writes
[...]

Have you cleaned out the shower head and checked the hose for broken
rubber flaps internally which could increase the (normally negligible)
back pressure? Or even the variable settings of the shower rose?

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger Hayter
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

In message ,
newshound writes
[...]

Er. no:-) The leak is occurring when the shower is out of use. We have a
water softener so scale is not much of a problem.

The other possibility is a leak from the cartridge seals finding a way
out next to the outlet piping. Back up cartridge going in tomorrow after
I have renewed the gate valve:-(

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , Roger Hayter
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

In message ,
newshound writes
[...]

I am now a fervent advocate of front fixing bar shower units! Fingers
crossed the source of the leak was where a supply pipe connects to the
shower body. Aqualisa's fitting instructions emphasise not
overtightening and I think the installer took this literally. The
couplings are not readily accessible as this type of shower is fitted
from the front and then hidden behind the tiling/wall board etc.

Fortunately the other side of the wall is a cupboard which now has a
large access hole in the plaster board.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , Tim Lamb
writes In message
, Roger Hayter
writes Tim Lamb wrote: In message
, newshound
writes On 11/16/2016 9:05 PM, Tim Lamb
wrote: Installed 1995 and OK until someone else used it!
The thermostatic shower body outlet is plumbed in 22mm copper and now
leaking at the seal. Bearing in mind this is the low pressure side,

I expected but failed to find some obvious fault and wonder if the
original installer got something wrong. The seal

assembly consists of a steel gripper ring followed by an L shaped
plastic washer and then an O ring. A plastic *nut* tightens on to
the O ring and is threaded externally. No amount of
tightening would make the O ring seal and I am now at the stage of
adding ptfe tape, So far without success. I have not found
an assembly diagram on line and the manufacturers spares list
doesn't recognise my model number (600.21) I wonder if this
is an adaptation of the Speedfit etc. connector of which I have no
experience. Any advice other than take a bath? I
have fixed things like this in the past by filling up the space with
silicone rubber before reassembling. Clean and dry it out as much as
possible first, of course. Nothing much to lose! Progress. I have

confirmed the assembly is correct. David has kindly sent me a
breakdown of a similar model. I am currently thinking the *grip
ring* is not doing a proper job. So far I have not tried to find a
source of spares. Have you cleaned out the shower head and checked
[...]

That makes sense. I couldn't quite work out how it was leaking from the
outlet side when the shower was off.

--

Roger Hayter

Shower type and aqualisa qu JE UK diy 0 February 20th 06 11:51 PM
Aqualisa shower - can't turn it off [email protected] UK diy 3 October 17th 05 10:05 PM
leaking aqualisa shower flashboy UK diy 5 August 16th 05 07:13 PM
Aqualisa Shower Problem TheScullster UK diy 4 July 29th 03 08:08 PM
Leaky AquaLisa shower AlexL UK diy 3 July 9th 03 09:27 AM