Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Chernobyl: New Safe Confiement now moving into position

I was told a few months ago that they have been flying military type drones
over the local area looking for radiation hot spots still there after all
this time, one supposes that they have a way to clean this localised
contamination up?

Its interesting to note of course that wildlife and plant life have been
very successful in the area, and it makes you wonder if we can learn
anything from this?
IE could we use some of the mutations to make people who are less
susceptible to radiation damage of their dna?

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 11/15/2016 3:03 PM, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

"One of the most ambitious projects in the history of engineering passes
a major milestone today as the arch shielding radioactive waste caused
by the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear power station accident has started sliding
into place"

"Chernobyl's New Safe Confinement (NSC) is the largest moveable land-
based structure ever built, with a span of 257 metres, a length of 162
metres, a height of 108 metres and a total weight of 36,000 tonnes
equipped"

"It will now be moved into its resting place over Chernobyl's reactor 4
which was destroyed in the accident 30 years ago"

"The sliding is done with help of a special skidding system that
consists of 224 hydraulic jacks to push the arch 60 centimetres each
stroke. It is anticipated that the total skid time will be around 40
hours of operation spread over a period of up to 5 days"

http://chnpp.gov.ua/en/default-en/10...tep-in-unique-
engineering-project-as-chernobyl-arch-slides-into-place

Certainly impressive, but still bugger all compared to launching a modern
supertanker. Admittedly that has gravity helping, but you have to get a
lot of sums right to do it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/11/16 09:34, Brian Gaff wrote:
I was told a few months ago that they have been flying military type drones
over the local area looking for radiation hot spots still there after all
this time, one supposes that they have a way to clean this localised
contamination up?

Its interesting to note of course that wildlife and plant life have been
very successful in the area, and it makes you wonder if we can learn
anything from this?
IE could we use some of the mutations to make people who are less
susceptible to radiation damage of their dna?

There are no mutations.

People are highly resistant radiation damage already.

The main lesson from Chernobyl is that only a few people died, and apart
from the iodine fiasco, no one got cancer either.

What they DONT want you to know about Chernobyl is that with the worst
possible scenario for a nuclear accident - its simply not possible to
get worse than a reactor spilling its guts inside no containment - the
actual overall death rate was extremely low, there were no cancer spikes
in the area or anywhere else except for those directly exposed to I 131,
and in fact the whole thing was really remarkably issue free.

Radiation at low levels simply is hundreds of times less scary than we
were told.

Brian

--
€œit should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/11/16 13:10, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 16/11/16 09:34, Brian Gaff wrote:
I was told a few months ago that they have been flying military type
drones
over the local area looking for radiation hot spots still there after
all
this time, one supposes that they have a way to clean this localised
contamination up?

Its interesting to note of course that wildlife and plant life have been
very successful in the area, and it makes you wonder if we can learn
anything from this?
IE could we use some of the mutations to make people who are less
susceptible to radiation damage of their dna?

There are no mutations.

People are highly resistant to radiation damage already.

Given that there has been radiation on the planet since the dawn of
time, you'd expect mechanisms to develop for life to counteract
radiation damage to DNA - and there are such mechanisms within your
body cells, and every other living thing's cells, working all the time.

The main lesson from Chernobyl is that only a few people died, and
apart from the iodine fiasco, no one got cancer either.

What they DONT want you to know about Chernobyl is that with the worst
possible scenario for a nuclear accident - its simply not possible to
get worse than a reactor spilling its guts inside no containment - the
actual overall death rate was extremely low,

75 or so, according to WHO. Which is bad enough for those involved, but
then there have been industrial accidents which had far worse outcomes
than that.

there were no cancer spikes in the area or anywhere else except
for those directly exposed to I 131

Of which there is now none left.

Exactly.

Chernobyl like Fulkushima is a classic example of 'regulatory panic'

Like 'the permitted dose was execeded by 100 times' ergo your gonna die.

In fact you aren't. Because the permitted dose was defined years ago
before we knew how dangerous radiation wasn't.

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)

Chernobyl: New Safe Confiement now moving into position Brian Gaff UK diy 11 November 16th 16 07:48 PM
Moving a safe Caecilius[_2_] UK diy 8 May 13th 13 05:05 PM
Mid-Position 3 Port Valve - Hot Water (A) position & OFF - but HW flow to boiler? Clivedodd UK diy 3 September 9th 03 12:53 AM