Andy

Default coving joints

Redecorating and am about to put up plaster coving (127mm)...
When I done it before I've been fairly successful at hiding the joints
between lengths
just by butt joining the lengths, aligning as best as I can
followed by careful filling of the joint afterwards.

However, one mate says he had a tip from a pro to cut a matching wedge shape
off both ends
(say 45 degrees- see rough diagram of 2 lengths below)
______ _______
______/ /_______

and butt these together... claims it makes a more invisible joint?
Any one tried it? Any comments?
Andy

OxSc

Andy wrote:
Redecorating and am about to put up plaster coving (127mm)...
When I done it before I've been fairly successful at hiding the joints
between lengths
just by butt joining the lengths, aligning as best as I can
followed by careful filling of the joint afterwards.

However, one mate says he had a tip from a pro to cut a matching wedge shape
off both ends
(say 45 degrees- see rough diagram of 2 lengths below)
______ _______
______/ /_______

and butt these together... claims it makes a more invisible joint?
Any one tried it? Any comments?
Andy

Try drawing some lines on a piece of paper, all the same height, some
vertical and some at 45 degrees. Which do you notice more?
John

"Andy" wrote in message
Redecorating and am about to put up plaster coving (127mm)...
When I done it before I've been fairly successful at hiding the joints
between lengths
just by butt joining the lengths, aligning as best as I can
followed by careful filling of the joint afterwards.

However, one mate says he had a tip from a pro to cut a matching wedge

shape
off both ends
(say 45 degrees- see rough diagram of 2 lengths below)
______ _______
______/ /_______

and butt these together... claims it makes a more invisible joint?
Any one tried it? Any comments?
Andy

I have always done it like that and also cut a 'V' into the face of the
coving with a Stanley knife (approx 1/4" wide) and then filled this with
either Polyfilla or the coving adhesive using to fix. Sand this down flush,
don't go too mad or the paper skin will tear, and paint as required. I can
'see' the joints but I know where they are, but they loook a lot better than
friends who have just had the joints butted together.

HTH

John

Christian McArdle

and butt these together... claims it makes a more invisible joint?
Any one tried it? Any comments?

Definitely. I always used to do butt joints and they looked awful. Better
still is find a stockist that has 4m lengths instead of 2.4m. Then you
rarely need butt joints, especially if features like fireplaces break up the
long lengths.

Christian.

Coving Derby UK diy 4 January 5th 04 11:18 PM
Large coving mitre box? Philip Kime UK diy 8 November 19th 03 12:26 AM
Removing paint from old plaster coving - how easy is it? Tess UK diy 1 August 1st 03 05:42 PM
Paving Stone Joints chris French UK diy 0 July 14th 03 08:32 AM
Polystyrene coving - stopping cracks from appearing at joints Jake UK diy 4 July 7th 03 12:29 AM