Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Powerfix Line Laser

Coming soon to Lidl...

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-...etail&id=38696

....but what is it? I can't make out what it's for or how you'd use it.

Cheers
--
Syd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Syd Rumpo wrote:
Coming soon to Lidl...

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-...etail&id=38696

...but what is it? I can't make out what it's for or how you'd use it.

It says ideal for aligning and mounting pictures, shelves, etc. That's
what it's for and the 4th picturs shows someone using one.

If none of this is of any help, you obviously don't need one. Personally,
I'm interested in the generator.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/16 14:31, Syd Rumpo wrote:
Coming soon to Lidl...

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-...etail&id=38696

....but what is it? I can't make out what it's for or how you'd use it.

Cheers

"Ideal for aligning and mounting pictures, shelves etc"

--
€œSome people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of €¨an airplane.€

Dennis Miller

Posted to uk.d-i-y

So its a posh spirit level then.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Syd Rumpo wrote:
Coming soon to Lidl...

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-...etail&id=38696

...but what is it? I can't make out what it's for or how you'd use it.

It says ideal for aligning and mounting pictures, shelves, etc. That's
what it's for and the 4th picturs shows someone using one.

If none of this is of any help, you obviously don't need one. Personally,
I'm interested in the generator.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-11-07, charles wrote:

In article ,
Syd Rumpo wrote:
Coming soon to Lidl...

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-...etail&id=38696

...but what is it? I can't make out what it's for or how you'd use it.

It says ideal for aligning and mounting pictures, shelves, etc. That's
what it's for and the 4th picturs shows someone using one.

How does the suction cup, or whatever the "self-suctioning guide" is,
stick to the rough brick in that picture?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2016 14:49, charles wrote:
In article ,
Syd Rumpo wrote:
Coming soon to Lidl...

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-...etail&id=38696

...but what is it? I can't make out what it's for or how you'd use it.

It says ideal for aligning and mounting pictures, shelves, etc. That's
what it's for and the 4th picturs shows someone using one.

If none of this is of any help, you obviously don't need one. Personally,
I'm interested in the generator.

I'm sure I don't need one, but all I see in the fourth picture is
someone drilling a hole through it. Where is the laser? Which part is
self-suctioning? What is self-suctioning, other than autofellatio?

In short, how would I use it to hang a picture?

Cheers
--
Syd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/7/2016 2:31 PM, Syd Rumpo wrote:
Coming soon to Lidl...

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-...etail&id=38696

...but what is it? I can't make out what it's for or how you'd use it.

Cheers

I don't know either.

The explanation is very "light". For a tenner, the laser is not likely
to be very bright or accurate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 15:27:08 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

So its a posh spirit level then.
Brian

When I used to put up pictures, curtains and blind, radiators etc. for a
couple of friends, I found that the best 'instrument' was my mate's wife -
if it was right for her...!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Syd Rumpo" wrote in message ...
Coming soon to Lidl...

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-...etail&id=38696

...but what is it? I can't make out what it's for or how you'd use it.

Agreed. With any sort of "level" you need two or more reference points which are
themselves level. With a spirit level you have numerous reference points along
the edge(s) of the level. With a laser level you either have a beam analagous
to the edge of a spirit level or individual points of light.

From the photos, it would appear all you can do with this, is drill a hole through
the guide bush at one end, which is dead level (presumably) with the other end of
the level.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2016 16:46, PeterC wrote:
On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 15:27:08 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

So its a posh spirit level then.
Brian

When I used to put up pictures, curtains and blind, radiators etc. for a
couple of friends, I found that the best 'instrument' was my mate's wife -
if it was right for her...!

We have a curtain across some French doors on a pole. The ceiling is
not parallel to the floor, and neither are level. it's a case of fix
one end and adjust the other until SWMBO says it's ok.

Cheers
--
Syd

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Coming soon to Lidl...

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-...etail&id=38696

...but what is it? I can't make out what it's for or how you'd use it.

It says ideal for aligning and mounting pictures, shelves, etc. That's
what it's for and the 4th picturs shows someone using one.

If none of this is of any help, you obviously don't need one.
Personally, I'm interested in the generator.

I'm sure I don't need one, but all I see in the fourth picture is
someone drilling a hole through it. Where is the laser? Which part is
self-suctioning? What is self-suctioning, other than autofellatio?

In short, how would I use it to hang a picture?

The "self suctioning" is in the middle - but I doubt if it would work on
bare bricks. The laser goes off to line up with something else; I assume
to the right in that picture. In itself it wouldn't hang a picture but
would help in lining a new hook with another on the same wall.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 07 Nov 2016 14:49:18 +0000 (GMT), charles
wrote:

If none of this is of any help, you obviously don't need one. Personally,
I'm interested in the generator.

For what purpose?
That is an old style generator which while it is fine for running
things like cement mixers on a building job and other simple things
like an electric fire or a few lamps the voltage regulation on such
small generators is not the best.
I would not recommend it for running modern devices such as the telly
,computers or anything with some sensitive electronics in it.
You want an Inverter type to do that safely.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:

Syd Rumpo wrote:

Coming soon to Lidl...]

I'm interested in the generator.

A reminder that the last batch of silver 'tronic' AA LSD NiMH I bought
had utterly **nosedived** in capacity compared to the black or red ones
from previous years, despite the label claiming they were higher capacity.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/16 16:47, Moron Watch wrote:
"Syd Rumpo" wrote in message ...
Coming soon to Lidl...

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-...etail&id=38696

...but what is it? I can't make out what it's for or how you'd use it.

Agreed. With any sort of "level" you need two or more reference points which are
themselves level. With a spirit level you have numerous reference points along
the edge(s) of the level. With a laser level you either have a beam analagous
to the edge of a spirit level or individual points of light.

From the photos, it would appear all you can do with this, is drill a hole through
the guide bush at one end, which is dead level (presumably) with the other end of
the level.

If you have a self levelling laser (which I would be surprised if this
was) then you're in business.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Syd Rumpo wrote

Coming soon to Lidl...

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-...etail&id=38696

...but what is it? I can't make out what it's for or how you'd use it.

Did you miss this ?

Ideal for aligning and mounting pictures, shelves etc

Its what you use to determine where to drill the hole.

Self-suctioning guide with drilling dust collector and 90° swivel laser
range

is a bit of a giveaway with the first one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Syd Rumpo wrote:
Coming soon to Lidl...

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-...etail&id=38696

...but what is it? I can't make out what it's for or how you'd use it.

It says ideal for aligning and mounting pictures, shelves, etc. That's
what it's for and the 4th picturs shows someone using one.

If none of this is of any help, you obviously don't need one. Personally,
I'm interested in the generator.

I'm sure I don't need one, but all I see in the fourth picture is someone
drilling a hole through it. Where is the laser? Which part is
self-suctioning? What is self-suctioning, other than autofellatio?

In short, how would I use it to hang a picture?

You use it to ensure that all the picture hooks at that same level, stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

So its a posh spirit level then.

More capable spirit level for even less than most spirit levels, actually.

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Syd Rumpo wrote:
Coming soon to Lidl...

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-...etail&id=38696

...but what is it? I can't make out what it's for or how you'd use it.

It says ideal for aligning and mounting pictures, shelves, etc. That's
what it's for and the 4th picturs shows someone using one.

If none of this is of any help, you obviously don't need one. Personally,
I'm interested in the generator.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

If none of this is of any help, you obviously don't need one. Personally,
I'm interested in the generator.

For what purpose?
That is an old style generator which while it is fine for running
things like cement mixers on a building job and other simple things
like an electric fire or a few lamps the voltage regulation on such
small generators is not the best.
I would not recommend it for running modern devices such as the telly
,computers or anything with some sensitive electronics in it.
You want an Inverter type to do that safely.

That's very arguable. Modern electronic devices in fact operate
fine over a huge range of voltage, so you don't have to switch
between 115 and 220 etc and so will do fine with simple generators.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 07/11/2016 18:37, Rod Speed wrote:
I can't make out what it's for or how you'd use it.

You fix to the wall and can then swivel vertical to horizontal, in the
chequered pic you will see a red beam, depending on the position it is
used for the vertical or horizontal plane with the spirit level part
ensuring it is level.

I think!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I can't make out what it's for or how you'd use it.

I didnt say that, you mangled the citation.

You fix to the wall and can then swivel vertical to horizontal, in the
chequered pic you will see a red beam, depending on the position it is
used for the vertical or horizontal plane with the spirit level part
ensuring it is level.

I think!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 16:53:57 +0000, Syd Rumpo wrote:

On 07/11/2016 16:46, PeterC wrote:
On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 15:27:08 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

So its a posh spirit level then.
Brian

When I used to put up pictures, curtains and blind, radiators etc. for a
couple of friends, I found that the best 'instrument' was my mate's wife -
if it was right for her...!

We have a curtain across some French doors on a pole. The ceiling is
not parallel to the floor, and neither are level. it's a case of fix
one end and adjust the other until SWMBO says it's ok.

Cheers

I had that situation in their cottage: new curtain rail and pelmet to put
up, ceiling, floor, top of window recess, windowsill and radiator had no
commonality, so I held the backboard in place 'til she said it was OK.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Mitre Saw Laser Line [email protected] UK diy 9 February 21st 09 08:47 PM
Laser line The Medway Handyman UK diy 9 April 15th 06 10:36 PM
Laser Chalk Line Ed Home Repair 5 December 6th 05 09:29 AM
Circular Saw with Laser Line or Not? weft2 Woodworking 26 September 25th 05 05:58 AM
Cheap laser line for tiling ? Andy Dingley UK diy 10 January 25th 05 02:19 PM