DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   All but one of our nukes are online... (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/580874-all-but-one-our-nukes-online.html)

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] November 4th 16 12:14 PM

All but one of our nukes are online...

...a by golly we are going to need it. Wind is crap, solar is crap and
doesnt work after dark, francce is in deep **** because half their nukes
are out fore political reasons (thank you EU) and as usual; Gemneany is
a total ****ing mess, and La Nina means its bloody cold.

OCGTS fired up yesterday and the day before in an effort not to crash
the grid, Prices went sky high.

Thank you Miliband, Huhne Eurclots and the other Cnuts.

its shoes.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] November 4th 16 12:18 PM

All but one of our nukes are online...

...a by golly we are going to need it. Wind is crap, solar is crap and
doesnt work after dark, francce is in deep **** because half their nukes
are out fore political reasons (thank you EU) and as usual; Gemneany is
a total ****ing mess, and La Nina means its bloody cold.

OCGTS fired up yesterday and the day before in an effort not to crash
the grid, Prices went sky high.

Thank you Miliband, Huhne Eurclots and the other Cnuts.

For interest, electricity wholesale prices peaked at 76p a unit last
evening. And 86p the day before yesterday.

--
€œBut what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!€

Mary Wollstonecraft

GB November 4th 16 12:24 PM

All but one of our nukes are online...

For interest, electricity wholesale prices peaked at 76p a unit last
evening. And 86p the day before yesterday.

Does that mean I am getting a bargain when I only pay around 10p? Should
I keep an eye on this and flick the immersion heater on at times of
maximum wholesale prices?

Dave Liquorice[_2_] November 4th 16 01:14 PM

On Fri, 4 Nov 2016 12:14:03 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

...a by golly we are going to need it. Wind is crap, solar is crap and
doesnt work after dark, francce is in deep **** because half their nukes
are out fore political reasons (thank you EU) and as usual; Gemneany is
a total ****ing mess, and La Nina means its bloody cold.

It's not proper cold, still up at 5 to 10 C average ish.

There is only one nuke shutdown but there are three not working flat
out.

Heysham 1
Reactor 1 : Feb-2017
Turbine Generator 1 : In service : 307 MW
Planned : Raising load following off-load refuelling :
Reactor 2 : May-2018
Turbine Generator 2 : In service : 517 MW
At reduced load to manage fuel temperatures

Heysham 2
Reactor 8 : On outage
Turbine Generator 8 : Offline : -18 MW
Planned : Statutory outage : 22-Nov-16

Sizewell B
Reactor 1 : Nov-2017
Turbine Generator 1 : In service : 518 MW
At reduced load to repair a feed heater pipe support

OCGTS fired up yesterday and the day before in an effort not to crash
the grid, Prices went sky high.

Not to mention that demand was only about 48 GW, unless things have
drmatically changed when it gets proper cold demand will be nearer 55
GW. Where is that 5+ GW going to come from at around 1800 in the
middle of winter?

--
Cheers
Dave.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] November 4th 16 01:39 PM

On 04/11/16 12:24, GB wrote:

For interest, electricity wholesale prices peaked at 76p a unit last
evening. And 86p the day before yesterday.

Does that mean I am getting a bargain when I only pay around 10p? Should
I keep an eye on this and flick the immersion heater on at times of
maximum wholesale prices?

Depends whether you want to crash the grid or not...;-)

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] November 4th 16 01:40 PM

wrote:

..a by golly we are going to need it. Wind is crap, solar is crap and
doesnt work after dark, francce is in deep **** because half their nukes
are out fore political reasons (thank you EU) and as usual; Gemneany is
a total ****ing mess, and La Nina means its bloody cold.

In fact La Nina hasn't really kicked in yet. It bottoms out about 12
months after El Nino peaks (or it did for the 2007-2008 combination),
so sometime around January! That'll be fun. Have we got enough OCGT's
to cope?

Nope. Not with half Frances nukes grounded.

OCGTS fired up yesterday and the day before in an effort not to crash
the grid, Prices went sky high.

Thank you Miliband, Huhne Euroclots and the other Cnuts.

--
€œSome people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of €¨an airplane.€

Dennis Miller

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] November 4th 16 01:41 PM

On 04/11/16 13:14, Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Magic renewable pixie dust. Where else?

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] November 4th 16 01:47 PM

On 04/11/16 12:24, GB wrote:

For interest, electricity wholesale prices peaked at 76p a unit last
evening. And 86p the day before yesterday.

Does that mean I am getting a bargain when I only pay around 10p? Should
I keep an eye on this and flick the immersion heater on at times of
maximum wholesale prices?

Depends whether you want to crash the grid or not...;-)

Oh dear. ON the 10th November we are predicted to have -2GW reserve.

In other words, we are ****ed.

http://bmreports.com/bsp/bsp.php#day_day_margin_2_14

Josef Stalin

Tim Watts[_3_] November 4th 16 02:55 PM

All but one of our nukes are online...

In other words, we are ****ed.

http://bmreports.com/bsp/bsp.php#day_day_margin_2_14

Now minus 344MW - but still fecked.

Does this site not work with Chrome? I could only get data to load on
firefox...

Andrew May November 4th 16 03:14 PM

On 04/11/2016 12:24, GB wrote:

For interest, electricity wholesale prices peaked at 76p a unit last
evening. And 86p the day before yesterday.

Does that mean I am getting a bargain when I only pay around 10p? Should
I keep an eye on this and flick the immersion heater on at times of
maximum wholesale prices?

Sell it back to the grid at 76p :-)

GB November 4th 16 04:56 PM

On 04/11/2016 14:55, Tim Watts wrote:
In other words, we are ****ed.

http://bmreports.com/bsp/bsp.php#day_day_margin_2_14

Now minus 344MW - but still fecked.

How does this work out? Aren't there industrial users who agree to be
the first to be switched off? Are there enough of them?

Does this site not work with Chrome? I could only get data to load on
firefox...

I couldn't get it to work on chrome, either.

harry November 4th 16 05:26 PM

On Friday, 4 November 2016 12:18:04 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
...a by golly we are going to need it. Wind is crap, solar is crap and
doesnt work after dark, francce is in deep **** because half their nukes
are out fore political reasons (thank you EU) and as usual; Gemneany is
a total ****ing mess, and La Nina means its bloody cold.

OCGTS fired up yesterday and the day before in an effort not to crash
the grid, Prices went sky high.

Thank you Miliband, Huhne Eurclots and the other Cnuts.

For interest, electricity wholesale prices peaked at 76p a unit last
evening. And 86p the day before yesterday.

My, that's nearly twice the price of first generation solar PV.
How can this be?

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] November 4th 16 05:55 PM

On 04/11/16 14:55, Tim Watts wrote:
In other words, we are ****ed.

http://bmreports.com/bsp/bsp.php#day_day_margin_2_14

Now minus 344MW - but still fecked.

Does this site not work with Chrome? I could only get data to load on
firefox...

Its all flash

Josef Stalin

Andy Burns[_13_] November 4th 16 05:59 PM

Tim Watts wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

http://bmreports.com/bsp/bsp.php#day_day_margin_2_14

Does this site not work with Chrome? I could only get data to load on
firefox...

Its all flash

Here it's not flash, perhaps it detects whether you have flash and uses it?

Tim Watts[_3_] November 4th 16 06:19 PM

All but one of our nukes are online...

On 04/11/16 14:55, Tim Watts wrote:
In other words, we are ****ed.

http://bmreports.com/bsp/bsp.php#day_day_margin_2_14

Now minus 344MW - but still fecked.

Does this site not work with Chrome? I could only get data to load on
firefox...

Its all flash

Ah - explains it!

(Google hates Flash)

Andy Burns[_13_] November 4th 16 06:20 PM

All but one of our nukes are online...

Chris Hogg wrote:

I have flash set to ask me before using. It asked, I allowed. Using
FF. Perhaps those using chrome who can't see the data have got flash
set to 'never activate'.

Using FF here, without no flash it reverts to using SVG, the graphs are
interactive (you can enable/disable different data ranges per graph).

This machine is a relatively lowly netbook, and if you have every
table/graph enabled refreshing and scrolling can be lumpy.

Tim Watts[_3_] November 4th 16 06:26 PM

All but one of our nukes are online...

On 04/11/16 18:11, Chris Hogg wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

http://bmreports.com/bsp/bsp.php#day_day_margin_2_14

Does this site not work with Chrome? I could only get data to load on
firefox...

Its all flash

Here it's not flash, perhaps it detects whether you have flash and uses it?

I have flash set to ask me before using. It asked, I allowed. Using
FF. Perhaps those using chrome who can't see the data have got flash
set to 'never activate'.

Let's try...

Nope.

Chrome does have Flash enabled (and proven by Adobe's flash test site).

By Chrome stubbornly refuses to load the BMreports data sections.

Looks like "****ty old corporate website syndrome" :-|

Nevermind, at least FF works...

Dave Liquorice[_2_] November 4th 16 06:34 PM

On Fri, 4 Nov 2016 16:56:18 +0000, GB wrote:

http://bmreports.com/bsp/bsp.php#day_day_margin_2_14

Now minus 344MW - but still fecked.

How does this work out? Aren't there industrial users who agree to be
the first to be switched off? Are there enough of them?

I suspect they'll use SBR (Supplemental Balancing Reserve) before
DSBR (Demand Side Balancing Reserve). We appear to have quite a lot
of SBR this
winter:

http://www2.nationalgrid.com/UK/Serv...ces/System-sec
urity/Contingency-balancing-reserve/Operational-Information/

I add that up to 3.717 GW. 6 CCGT, 2 coal, 2 OCGT. Prices from 1.3p
(+ extras) to 55p kWHr.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Andy Burns[_13_] November 4th 16 06:41 PM

Dave Liquorice wrote:

GB wrote:

How does this work out? Aren't there industrial users who agree to be
the first to be switched off? Are there enough of them?

I suspect they'll use SBR (Supplemental Balancing Reserve) before
DSBR (Demand Side Balancing Reserve).

Looks like predicted wind is getting windier, may come to nothing.

GB November 4th 16 06:41 PM

On 04/11/2016 18:34, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 4 Nov 2016 16:56:18 +0000, GB wrote:

http://bmreports.com/bsp/bsp.php#day_day_margin_2_14

Now minus 344MW - but still fecked.

How does this work out? Aren't there industrial users who agree to be
the first to be switched off? Are there enough of them?

I suspect they'll use SBR (Supplemental Balancing Reserve) before
DSBR (Demand Side Balancing Reserve). We appear to have quite a lot
of SBR this
winter:

http://www2.nationalgrid.com/UK/Serv...ces/System-sec
urity/Contingency-balancing-reserve/Operational-Information/

I add that up to 3.717 GW. 6 CCGT, 2 coal, 2 OCGT. Prices from 1.3p
(+ extras) to 55p kWHr.

Does that mean I could put my bike on a stand, hitch a generator to it,
and sell electricity at say 50p per kWhr at peak demand times, whilst
getting very, very fit?

Dennis@home November 4th 16 06:43 PM

Tim Watts wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

http://bmreports.com/bsp/bsp.php#day_day_margin_2_14

Does this site not work with Chrome? I could only get data to load on
firefox...

Its all flash

Here it's not flash, perhaps it detects whether you have flash and
uses it?

I have flash set to ask me before using. It asked, I allowed. Using
FF. Perhaps those using chrome who can't see the data have got flash
set to 'never activate'.

Let's try...

Nope.

Chrome does have Flash enabled (and proven by Adobe's flash test site).

By Chrome stubbornly refuses to load the BMreports data sections.

Looks like "****ty old corporate website syndrome" :-|

Nevermind, at least FF works...

Well just to put your mind to rest neither edge or IE work with it.

Andy Burns[_13_] November 4th 16 06:47 PM

dennis@home wrote:

Well just to put your mind to rest neither edge or IE work with it.

It works in IE11 provided you add it to the compatibility view list,
then enable flash ... I've not bothered with Edge

Bill Wright[_3_] November 4th 16 10:37 PM

All but one of our nukes are online...

http://bmreports.com/bsp/bsp.php#day_day_margin_2_14

That gives me a message saying the site contains malware.

Bill

Rod Speed November 5th 16 02:50 AM

"harry" wrote in message
On Friday, 4 November 2016 12:18:04 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
...a by golly we are going to need it. Wind is crap, solar is crap and
doesnt work after dark, francce is in deep **** because half their
nukes
are out fore political reasons (thank you EU) and as usual; Gemneany is
a total ****ing mess, and La Nina means its bloody cold.

OCGTS fired up yesterday and the day before in an effort not to crash
the grid, Prices went sky high.

Thank you Miliband, Huhne Eurclots and the other Cnuts.

For interest, electricity wholesale prices peaked at 76p a unit last
evening. And 86p the day before yesterday.

My, that's nearly twice the price of first generation solar PV.
How can this be?

Because Britain was too stupid to have enough nukes.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] November 5th 16 09:17 AM

On 04/11/16 22:37, Bill Wright wrote:

http://bmreports.com/bsp/bsp.php#day_day_margin_2_14

That gives me a message saying the site contains malware.

That probably because its all made out of flash.

I very much doubt that it does.

Bill

fully understood.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] November 5th 16 09:19 AM

Tim Watts wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

http://bmreports.com/bsp/bsp.php#day_day_margin_2_14

Does this site not work with Chrome? I could only get data to load on
firefox...

Its all flash

Here it's not flash, perhaps it detects whether you have flash and uses it?

What happens if you right click over the graphs?

I get 'about adobe flash' etc etc.

fully understood.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] November 5th 16 09:21 AM

On 04/11/16 18:19, Tim Watts wrote:
On 04/11/16 14:55, Tim Watts wrote:
In other words, we are ****ed.

http://bmreports.com/bsp/bsp.php#day_day_margin_2_14

Now minus 344MW - but still fecked.

Does this site not work with Chrome? I could only get data to load on
firefox...

Its all flash

Ah - explains it!

(Google hates Flash)

Who doesn't?

I got one email from someone who said that gridwatch was great because
he could actually see the graphs on his I-phone which couldn't handle BM
reports flash.

--
"Socialist governments traditionally do make a financial mess. They
always run out of other people's money. It's quite a characteristic of them"

Margaret Thatcher

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] November 5th 16 09:24 AM

On 04/11/16 18:20, Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Hogg wrote:

I have flash set to ask me before using. It asked, I allowed. Using
FF. Perhaps those using chrome who can't see the data have got flash
set to 'never activate'.

Using FF here, without no flash it reverts to using SVG, the graphs are
interactive (you can enable/disable different data ranges per graph).

Tyhat is rather 'modern' of them.

Good though. SVGs are much better fir this sort of thing than flash.

This machine is a relatively lowly netbook, and if you have every
table/graph enabled refreshing and scrolling can be lumpy.

twenty-first centurys developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] November 5th 16 09:28 AM

On 04/11/16 18:41, GB wrote:
[...]

In theory, yes.

However at a likely output of at most 200W, that equates to 10p an hour.

How much does *that* put the industrial revolution, with its replacement
of manual labour and horse drawn transport, with fossil fuel, into
perspective...

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] November 5th 16 09:29 AM

All but one of our nukes are online...

On 05/11/16 09:19, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 5 Nov 2016 09:17:53 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 04/11/16 22:37, Bill Wright wrote:

http://bmreports.com/bsp/bsp.php#day_day_margin_2_14

That gives me a message saying the site contains malware.

That probably because its all made out of flash.

I very much doubt that it does.

From a greenie's POV, all the data telling them that renewables just
can't cut it is malware.

Well that is true.

--
The biggest threat to humanity comes from socialism, which has utterly
diverted our attention away from what really matters to our existential

Brian Gaff November 5th 16 10:05 AM

All but one of our nukes are online...

And of course people like myself in a more promising energy era had storage
heaters and have no gas, so when it goes, presumably we all freez to death?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

Andy Burns[_13_] November 5th 16 10:06 AM

Andy Burns wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Its all flash

Here it's not flash

What happens if you right click over the graphs?

Just the normal firefox context menu, same as clicking over other HTML

I get 'about adobe flash' etc etc.

I don't have the NPAPI flash plugin installed on this machine (just the
ActiveX version that is baked-in to Win10/IE11/Edge) as far as firefox
is concerned flash doesn't exist, i.e. not installed but disabled,
rather not installed at all.

The bmreports site must detect the lack of flash (perhaps via http
request headers, or client side js) and substitutes a page that's drawn
with SVG instead of flash.

Andy Burns[_13_] November 5th 16 10:10 AM

All but one of our nukes are online...

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:

Google hates Flash

Who doesn't?

What do find it's necessary for these days?

Youtube hasn't required it for a couple of years, iPlayer doesn't need
it, main BBC news website has recently dropped it (previously you could
fake the user agent to fool them anyway) I don't miss the adverts.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] November 5th 16 10:10 AM

On 05/11/16 10:05, Brian Gaff wrote:
And of course people like myself in a more promising energy era had storage
heaters and have no gas, so when it goes, presumably we all freez to death?
Brian

Yep. It goes under 'deaths due to climate change' because the energy
policy is allegedly there because of climate change, and it being cold
in winter, when all the models say we should be subtropical by now, is
yet more evidence of 'climate change'

In fact there is almost nothing that can't be blamed on 'climate change'

http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/WR...lwarming2.html

:-)

Andy Burns[_13_] November 5th 16 10:11 AM

Andy Burns wrote:

Using FF here, without no flash it reverts to using SVG

Tyhat is rather 'modern' of them.
Good though. SVGs are much better fir this sort of thing than flash.

Seems to have been written that way (by Logica) in 2011

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] November 5th 16 10:12 AM

Andy Burns wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Its all flash

Here it's not flash

What happens if you right click over the graphs?

Just the normal firefox context menu, same as clicking over other HTML

I get 'about adobe flash' etc etc.

I don't have the NPAPI flash plugin installed on this machine (just the
ActiveX version that is baked-in to Win10/IE11/Edge) as far as firefox
is concerned flash doesn't exist, i.e. not installed but disabled,
rather not installed at all.

The bmreports site must detect the lack of flash (perhaps via http
request headers, or client side js) and substitutes a page that's drawn
with SVG instead of flash.

I think you are right.

My guess is that there is some javascript library invoked that does all
the heavy lifting.

or condoning; the full, exact, specific meaning of collectivism, of its
logical implications, of the principles upon which it is based, and of
the ultimate consequences to which these principles will lead. They must
face it, then decide whether this is what they want or not.

Ayn Rand.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] November 5th 16 10:15 AM

Tim Watts wrote:

Google hates Flash

Who doesn't?

What do find it's necessary for these days?

A lot of videos haven't been uprated to HTML5 and may never be.

I play online bridge (bridgebase.com) and that whole program is written
in Flash, not javascript.

Who writes in COBOL these days? Yet a COBOL programmer can earn a very
decent salary.

Youtube hasn't required it for a couple of years, iPlayer doesn't need
it, main BBC news website has recently dropped it (previously you could
fake the user agent to fool them anyway) I don't miss the adverts.

WEll it all depends where you hang out.

I regard it as a necessary evil, like Windows, for certain things.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] November 5th 16 10:16 AM

Andy Burns wrote:

Using FF here, without no flash it reverts to using SVG

Tyhat is rather 'modern' of them.
Good though. SVGs are much better fir this sort of thing than flash.

Seems to have been written that way (by Logica) in 2011

Golly. You delved into it that far?

Rod Speed November 5th 16 10:32 AM

All but one of our nukes are online...

Brian Gaff wrote

And of course people like myself in a more promising energy era had
storage heaters and have no gas, so when it goes, presumably we all freez
to death?

Nope. The worst you might have to do is go to bed and keep warm there.

Hardly the end of civilisation as we know it.